Old 12-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
And...limiting the age of trailers in your RV park? Can they DO that?? Do they do that?? I'm really surprised.

OK done with my rant.

i.
Yes, unfortunately, they do. Not only will they discriminate on age, but length as well, and even type. Before we bought our Airstream, we had a then-top of the line pop-up camper. Many parks would simply not allow them because they felt that they somehow degraded the atmosphere of the park and were otherwise unsightly. Now that we have something that would be allowed, don't think we would consider staying there, even if they were the only game in town (which, they aren't).

Not everyone starts at the top. Too bad they can't understand that.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 06:40 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Dave, you make me smile. I think we all are AT the top, whatever AS or Argosy we are pulling. This is our choice, our specially chosen choice, over all the other brands and their high style, "top-of-the-line" offerings. It doesn't matter how much cash we could toss around, we just intuitively know, and it seems lots of people out there are in the dark. (Should we send "them" this Forum address for "education"?) "They" may miss our business, but I don't think that we'll miss them

Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:34 PM   #73

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What I don't understand is this trend I see in our country to segregate ourselves to just those we want to have around. Doesn't anyone rejoice in the diversity of life? When you travel and meet different people in different rigs it gives you something to talk about. Something to think about. I don't understand why people want to insulate themselves from life so they don't have to look out their windows and see something they might not like. Especially since the rules only eliminate people with the broadest strokes - what kind of rig you drive, how long it is - it just doesn't make any sense. Are their really people out there so sensitive that they would be offended to look out the windows of their skyscraper motorhome and see a couple kids pull up towing a nice Airstream?

Oh well, just remember, no matter how fancy they think they are, their black tank don't smell any sweeter than ours

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
What I don't understand is this trend I see in our country to segregate ourselves to just those we want to have around. Doesn't anyone rejoice in the diversity of life? When you travel and meet different people in different rigs it gives you something to talk about. Something to think about. I don't understand why people want to insulate themselves from life so they don't have to look out their windows and see something they might not like. Especially since the rules only eliminate people with the broadest strokes - what kind of rig you drive, how long it is - it just doesn't make any sense. Are their really people out there so sensitive that they would be offended to look out the windows of their skyscraper motorhome and see a couple kids pull up towing a nice Airstream?

Oh well, just remember, no matter how fancy they think they are, their black tank don't smell any sweeter than ours
My wife and I along with our daughter met some really nice people as the result of finding them on another A/S forum; a man and his wife and one single man. As it turns out the single man was the P.O. of an A/S. He asked if he could come along anyway and we obliged to his request with a friendly yes. We had a wonderful get together and this past fall, my wife and I met them again at the same park. The single guy was in a fifth wheel and the other couple had an Argosy. (I think they may even be members of this forum but don’t get on here any or very little.) Anyway, after talking about this forum on our last visit; and mentioning that we use the term S.O.B., when referring to other campers; we noticed somewhat of a hesitant expression come over some of their faces. We then explained that S.O.B. stood for “Some Other Brand” and the tension of using that acronym was relieved. We all had plenty of fun with that acronym that week end.

Before we left to return home, we noticed that we were the S.O.B.’s that week end. Taking inventory of the type of trailers and MH’s around us we were definitely out classed, as a matter of fact we kind of stood out just a little; so to speak.

So, Stef, I would have to agree with you on that one!

It’s all about getting out and enjoying the great outdoors, sitting around a campfire with a hot-dog on a stick or roasting a marsh-mellow or two, swapping stories, getting acquainted with people and making new friends! Wow, what a great country we really live in!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:35 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

The thread that won't die

This is a funny thread, isn't it? Can pick it up over a year from when it began, (and it's still interesting.OK, well, my husband used to talk about Airstreams a bit because his uncle had one. I just didn't get it, although I was interested in camping. Kind of "that would be nice, but it'll never happen." Then in recent years, he found ads on the Internet, and really recently, he found classifieds. Well, that started to look feasible. He kept talking about how well they were made. We even tacked up a photo to keep the dream alive through bouts of sickness, and then parents' illness.When we shared the idea with a friend a number of years ago, he said he just couldn't see us enjoying being in an rv park with someone right next to us.Recently, when we told a neighbor we wanted to buy an Airstream, he said he thought they were ugly. Well, I used to think they were homely, so they can grow on you, obviously. I started to tell him how well they were made, and what percentage were still on the road. The next time I saw him, he said he liked the way they looked!
A couple of weeks ago, we stopped at a nearby Wal-Mart to run an errand while taking the trailer to have brakes looked at. There was an SOB already in the parking lot. The greeter was outside by the time we got to the door. Told my husband he really liked our rv, and where were we from? Sorry to have to tell him we were local. Then, as I came out the door, and saw the 2 rvs together, what a comparison! A/S looked very trim and even diminutive compared to 5th wheeler. I still, at times, think it looks a bit old-fashioned, but I am so looking forward to using it. And people we've had contact with so far have been so welcoming. And it almost matches my hair!

(Edited to correct error in first paragraph)
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
". . .looked very trim and even diminutive compared to 5th wheeler. I still, at times, think it looks a bit old-fashioned. . ." Interesting that you make this comparison. It's exactly what Max and I notice when we are parked among the SOB's. We have this comfort, easy towing, roominess, great lines, low profile, charm, yet we look like a mini among all the talls and wides and BIGs! We are a little old fashioned, but in the nicest way! This reflects our thinking about so many things. For example (and I don't want to offend anyone with different tastes here! I just see a connection between what we want in our AS and what we want in our home.) we anticipate changing our home within the next year as we retire. Looking at new homes, we are taken aback by what seems to us a useless waste of space, huge windows looking out on another home with huge windows, multiplicity of baths, and so on. So much seems so overdone, purposelessly. I want a home like my AS-lovely, classic, endlessly interesting to look at and putter with, one that has only the essentials but with charm and appeal. We've been looking for awhile. We found our AS. I hope we'll find a home that meets her standards I really don't know why I've rambled on about this. Just sharing my thoughts.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:13 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Comments

Just had one more thing to say about comments. This same neighbor (mentioned above), kept insisting "you'll never use it; you'll never use it." And actually, so did my husband when I was encouraging him to buy it this year instead of waiting until next year (or never). My reply: well, even if we never do get to take it on the road, I can still sit in it and enjoy it: for afternoon tea, a quiet place to read or even take a nap. For someone who's done bicycle/tent camping in the cold and rain, in mountainous terrain (and loved it!), to sleep under a roof is practically decadent luxury! Actually, I'm one of those people who used to say about rv'ers: "well, that's not really camping. They've got all the conveniences." And now I are one!!! (Well, almost, as soon as we finish taking it apart and putting it back together!)

By the way, found out later from the neighbor's daughter that this neighbor has been wanting to buy an rv, and his family keeps telling him: "you'll never use it; you'll never use it." Why? Apparently wife requires deluxe accommodations (not interested in camping!). Sheds a lot of light on that whole encounter . . .!

Edited to add last paragraph.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #78

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My husband said we'd never use it, because he also prefers delux accomodations (that would be the Best Western). But now he thinks the Caravel IS delux accomodations. He's the one planning trips for next year!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:39 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I've never looked at owning an Airstream as an elitist thing. I just knew they were good quality, last forever and look cool. I was surprised that with 15 year financing, even I could afford one!

When we traded in our 2 year old SOB this year for the AS, I was shocked that it had depreciated over 50%. I know that doesn't happen to Airstreams. So I feel confident that when I finish paying the loan off in 15 years, I'll still have something that's worth something!

Bob
Old 12-02-2004, 02:46 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Thumbs up Yessir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
I've never looked at owning an Airstream as an elitist thing. I just knew they were good quality, last forever and look cool.

Same here. I've always been in love with the look, the timeless style, and the Airstream mystique, but I also knew I wanted something built to last a long time, and, evidenced by so many beautiful vintage units on this forum, can be made new time and again.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:50 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Airstreamers do have a reputation of being aloof. Our club moto is "its fun to be friendly". I think its important to socialize with people in the campground that might not be Airstreamers. When we have a rally its easy to just associate with your friends that you haven't seen in awhile sometimes at the exclusion of other campers that might be close by. As a club and an individual I think its important to be sociable to those around you regardless of what kind of RV they are using. I've even spoken to Prevost owners that were pulling Hummers as toads.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #82
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Cool

[QUOTE=
I also mentioned that I was buying one to a lady from work, who loves camping in her SOB camper, and she said, “ewww, I never liked them…they look junky to me”

So I guess not everyone cares for them. Cool with me! [/QUOTE]

"What's one man's trash is another man's TRAILER" (author unknown)
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 05:21 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
To quote my husband when we bought the trailer, "We've become the people we used to laugh at."

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Um-hm. Me, too.

The same neighbor I've been talking about -- quite awhile after we'd told him we were looking for an Airstream, stopped by to tell us about a tow vehicle-trailer rig he'd seen for sale in a local park. He thought it was a good deal, and it probably was. When I said, "But we really want an Airstream," he said, "OK, well be snooty, then." That's when I started my sales job on quality, % still on the road, don't lose their value as much, etc. But still don't know where the "snooty idea came from. Guess I'll have to inquire!