Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #41
Rivet Master

here is another

I was talking to an sob owner and they told me that they stopped making airstreams long ago and they were not worth alot,
they saw a special on them on TV.
they also were nice enough to tell me that there may be a club for people that like them.
can anyone tell me where this club is?
are Airstreams really worth something? Roflmao

I had no less then 7 in my driveway at the time of this conversation.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I'm getting a kick out of this whole thing!

My suburban, sedentary lifestyle has always taught me to think of people with campers (pop-up, RV's, whatever) as "trailer trash," on the run from something, probably the IRS. They're all either headed from or to Florida, and they tend to be ignorant and tactless, as opposed to us high-class suburbanites - after all, if you're going someplace, why not just stay in a hotel like normal people? My own parents rolled their eyes when I showed them the Globe Trotter we were going to purchase.

Now that I have my Airstream, it's time to learn about the sub-culture within the sub-culture! If all the RV'ers and trailerites knew how much we're all frowned on by the rest of the country, we'd either start sticking up for one another, or be too full of shame to even park these in our driveways. With that story of the WBCCI vote to keep "Weak Granny" out of the club, I'd have to say there's apparently a sub (only certain kinds of AS) sub (Airstreams in general) sub (trailer) culture.

It's interesting to think about how many times we look down our noses at others, forgetting that if we looked over our shoulder we'd be looking up someone elses.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The Destin area park mentioned above is the Destin RV "resort". When I first started rv'ing in my Airstream a few years ago, we tried to go there ,but they would not take our reservation as my motorhome was older than 10 years.
Imagine if it had been a $100,000; 11 year old Bluebird, or Siver Eagle coach! Bad enough that its 20 yrs old and people at campgrounds always think its less than 5.
We've stayed at Topsail, and Henderson since then both in that area, and both super.
Let the snobs keep their rules and regs, while we keep on havin' fun
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Man, that's just amazing! The gall of that kind of black and white policy is just astounding. In theory, every year they're turning away repeat customers - paying, responsible RV owners with 11 years or older models.

Never been down that way, but we seriously need to pitch in and buy the adjoining property, open up some competition and put them out of business!

I vote no electric, no plumbing, just pristeen wilderness for anyone who wants to show up. We'll call it "IRBB" for I'd Rather Be Boondocking!
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
bredlo, I just returned from Florida, last week. I stayed in a "Days Inn". It was horrible. The whole time I was there, I longed for my A/S, with my own bed, own bathroom, kitchen, etc. The solitude of a campground is no comparison to a hotel/motel in an urban setting.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 02:18 PM   #46
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo
I vote no electric, no plumbing, just pristine wilderness for anyone who wants to show up. We'll call it "IRBB" for I'd Rather Be Boondocking!
I think there is already some one that has had that idea. They call it BLM land. Bureau of Land Management, IE Uncle Sam. It is normally free or really cheap and there are NO facilities.

I for one don't think an business can compete with the Feudal Gov. but if you want to try , go for it!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:17 PM   #47
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Ironic

Soapbox Please.......

I really never spent alot of time reading this thread but now I have. I really find it ironic that I was just having a conversation with a non-WBCCI person and I literally told them this:

"I have seen and heard many opinions of the WBCCI but all comments and opinions aside I can tell you this, I have traveled the world and I have never met a friendlier bunch of people in my life. It is sometimes scary how friendly they are."

So as for videos about Bclass vans and snooty clubs, I am from Missouri, SHOW ME! where are these mythical videos and people?

I am a real person and I can be a selfish person sometimes but I assure you, my experience with the WBCCI is by far one of the most wholesome, friendly, mannered, respectable, crowd. And yes they are just like me they have an Airstream and I too find that a joy to be at a campground with folks who have something in common. Just like all the people that hang out here on this forum, we all enjoy Airstreams.

It is sad that some have judged by hearsay and myth. If you have not tried it, DON'T KNOCK IT!

Thank you for the 'box

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:34 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
DITTO!!!

Quote:
...my experience with the WBCCI is by far one of the most wholesome, friendly, mannered, respectable, crowd.
Me too!

Shari
2nd VP - Denver Unit
WBCCI #1824, VAC
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 05:07 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Rumors

During my 37 plus years with Airstream, I have heard rumor after rumor that somehow seems to perpetuate about the Airstream products.

Many times these rumors come from non-owners. But amazingly, sometimes they, in all innocense, come from owners.

The sometimes, I think or I thought, or I heard, or it seems, or it should be that way, by the time it goes around in enough circles, somehow, someway, in time, becomes "gospel." Trying to convince someone otherwise, sometimes, is near impossible.

On the other hand, true facts seem to be like old soldiers. They, in time, just seem to fade away.

This site, almost on a daily basis, has questions asked over and over again, which bears out the fading away theory, the new comer excluded.

The old saying, "to late we learn, to soon we forget," seems to also be a part of the rumor generation.

But, that's why this site is the "GREATEST."

We learn, we forget, but we all know, that we can come back again and again, and learn somemore, or share a new experience with others.

That really, is what "Airstreaming" and "WBCCI," is all about.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Andy and Staff.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #50
Rivet Master

that's not camping!!!

While undressing in my stall at the shower house, I overheard other campers talking about the weather (quite chilly the previous night) and about how cold they were in their tents. "Those people...with their Airstream really aren't camping with a furnace going all night." I walked out and commented "sure is nice it was to have HOT SHOWERS while we are all roughing it" and walked out with them directly to our AIRSTREAM!
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #51
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Talking They thought we stunk!

Our first time out in our '71 Safari we were in Tahoe. After backing up for the first time and getting all hooked up we smelled what we thought was propane.

So. I called the office and had them come out the check it out. The staff member looks at my old trailer and immediately starts smelling around my tanks.

Turns out it was a 80's motorhome across the trail from us with their hood up. Their converter was boiling their batteries!

Another time out in Yosemite I was taking the trash out. The garbage bin was near a guy who constantly played the beatles outside of his Class A. So we started calling him beatles.

That night a guy pulled in next to me with a brand new 30' SOB.

The next day when I was taking the trash out, Beatles said, "You have a lot more trailer than that guy"

That made me smile
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 06:19 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
One thing that comes to mind reading through this thread I heard from a friend at one of the Cub Cadet meets I went to.

" ...you know if this group got together for any other reason this thing would degenerate into a bar-room brawl."

That is just what makes a group/club special. It allows a group of people, that would not normally get together, a reason to be together. It opens your horizons to people that you just don't come in contact with in your everyday life, gives you something in common.

Unfortunatly you still run into the person or "SOB" group that just don't get it.

You know I still have to think about "SOB" due to it's ususal usage.......

Thank you, Elvis has left the building......

FWIW, here is a shot from one of the meets.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #53

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
A Cub cadet meet? I had no idea. Can y'all get together and come plow my field for fun next time

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 07:33 PM   #54
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo
Man, that's just amazing! The gall of that kind of black and white policy is just astounding. In theory, every year they're turning away repeat customers - paying, responsible RV owners with 11 years or older models.

Never been down that way, but we seriously need to pitch in and buy the adjoining property, open up some competition and put them out of business!

I vote no electric, no plumbing, just pristeen wilderness for anyone who wants to show up. We'll call it "IRBB" for I'd Rather Be Boondocking!
AND NO RV'S OR TRAILERS NEWER THAN TEN YEARS OLD ALLOWED!!!
Terry
Old 12-20-2003, 09:15 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Plowing

Stephanie,

You might just be able to get our NW crowd out in your field. Here is a link to our membership map. They have been wanting to do a "Plow Day" out west.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 08:46 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Way Cool!

A 12 year old told me today that my airstream looked like something he saw in a comic book he has.
"Way Cool I want one when I grow up!"
a future Airstream owner!
That made me feel good!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
After registering at a campground in Pennsylvania, I started towards the truck to drive to the campsite, a girl, who appeared to be around 16, remarked, "That is the coolest camper I have ever seen!" An older gentlman sitting near her on a bench said "Yep, those things are the King of the Road!"
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
The comment I get over and over:
"What year is it?" I tell them it's a 1999. Every time: "Oh, they still make them???"

But I find it nice that I am a member of a small group that knows what's up than the masses of SOBs that don't have a clue.

Once, I was called a "rich boy" as I drove past a group in a campground. Well, that made me smile because one can buy almost anything with such a thing as fianancing. It just takes another monthly payment...
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:19 PM   #59
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
OK,, I will ask.. What does the term SOB signify, in the Airstream context?

I dread to think..

Theo
Old 01-09-2004, 05:46 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by Theo
OK,, I will ask.. What does the term SOB signify, in the Airstream context?

I dread to think..

Theo
SOB = Some Other Brand (of trailer)

I don't think it's an accident that it has the same letters as another better known acronym.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote