Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rock Hill , South Carolina
I would be very aware of integrity of frame. Most 70 trailers will have rust issues concerning frame, some way more worse than others. Some frame repairs can be did without gutting to the frame, but some not. Just like a home needs a good foundation, an older AS does also.
upszeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
What should I look for Buying an older airstream?

A more current year.

Taking on someone else's project is never a good idea.

Taking on a project from a farmer's back 50 acres is never a good idea.

If you have time, lots of experience working on vintage trailers, a pile of replacement parts, a place to store and restore, patience of an 80 year old and energy of a 20 year old... go for it.

Once you get pre year 2000, there are many to chose from. Find one thats still rolls and has tires. Vintage parts are scarce. New parts are expensive.

After it is all over... the cartons of parts, bolts, cabinets and odds & ends, you can compete nationally selling these parts to others wanting... vintage.

After decades of buying older vehicles, fixing them up and selling them... my lesson was learned the hard way. Although, this experience transferred to maintaining our NEW Airstream under warranty... it was easier to do it myself.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #23
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
I purchased my 1970 23ft in May 2014... it was in decent shape but I planned on a total gut before I bought it .... I found the back 12" of floor was rotted which is fairly normal..... my frame was actually in good shape with only minimal surface rust.
I remove the floor from the axle back (replaced axle with new drums/brakes etc) and added in 2 grey tanks ...belly pan removed... replaced the Black tank which had a cracked top ... threw out all the cabinets etc and rebuilt using 1/4 ply and ripped 1/2plywood for framing where needed. All the electrical systems and plumbing. PO had replaced fridge and furnace...rebuilt original stove ... hot water was ok but ended up leaking 6 months later and was replaced. Rear corner bathroom fibreglass shell was removed and reinstalled. ... new vent axia fans and a new AC ...new sinks...toilet.. new foam and upholstery..... It wasn't a shell off job but almost ...LOL
I told my wife she could pick any finishing material she wanted BUT it had to be light and bullet proof (no granite).Yes these trailer where built much lighter then the new ones are.
I worked full time for about 5-600hours and had it on the road in the fall..... I would estimate Ive spent about $18-22,000US plus purchase price (I stopped adding the bills up after awhile...LOL)
I think I could sell it and recover my costs ... maybe even get $1hr for my time ...LOL

It tows like a dream and we have put about 40,000 miles on it the last 4 years ... we tow it from the Canadian border to the Mexican border and back every year plus many other trips locally.

I personally really enjoyed(most of the time!!) the project and I also had the time to do it.

If your prepared for it and have a work spot....... go for it..... you'll spend more time and money than you think but you'll end up with a "new" vintage trailer.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cumming , GA
Talk to Colin Hyde at colinhderestorations in Plattsburgh ,NY. He is the trrue airstream expert and knows what to look for in all ages of the airstream trailer.
teritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
Older Airstreams

We are now in year 2 of an update/restoration of a 73 Safari 23 footer and thought I would add some Airstream newbie observations to the excellent advice already posted. Like many before us, our trailer had floor rot in the left rear corner. This led to removal of the interior, addition of a gray tank, new black tank, new electrical system,(used Blue Sea marine circuit breaker system, which is quite cool!),new pex water piping, etc, etc, etc.
We chose to try to retain the original interior look but with new appliances etc and we were able to buy 2 1/2 complete interiors from a 72 Tradewind, a 72 overlander and a 77 Tradewind to give us access to extra original laminates and extrusions.
All of this has been way more work than we anticipated but the opportunity to implement our own custom designs has been rewarding and older Airstreams have unique design details not available on newer ones.
Along the way, we viewed many of the trailers that supplied us parts and learned a bunch..
One thing to consider is that the basic engineering for a 31 footer was nearly the same as our 23 foot Safari. The longer trailers have really long rear overhangs and are heavier and this contributes to frame problems and tail dragging. The 25 foot Tradewinds are a good compromise for restorers,still quite lightweight but with a bit more room in front than our Safari..
Another thing to consider is that the oil embargo in 1973 initiated a financial disaster for Airstream. Sales tanked and there was a big emphasis on cost reduction to maintain profitability. During this time, I was told but did not verify that they went to a smaller frame rail to save cost and weight.
Other thoughts; 1972 was the last year of the wet rear bath, 1973 had a separate shower. I think gray tanks became standard in 1975 but they likely would need to be replaced by now anyway.
1973 was the first year for the 2 hinge door.
I think the same interior laminates were used from 1970 thru 1974. They went to photo/paper image panel in about 1975. Incidentally, at least in 72 and73, different laminate designs were used. 25 foot and shorter used an oak design while the 27 foot and longer used a darker walnut design. And, an interesting tidbit, I found stamping son the back side of our laminates, “made in Japan”. Who knew?
Anyway, enough rambling, take a look at a 73 or 74 Tradewind and buy the best one you can afford and enjoy the journey.
StevenD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Our 75 international 27' has a gray tank but it only holds enough water for one shower. I spent $17,000 on parts to renovate our trailer, this includes an upgrade to a 10 gallon hot water tank, changed the tub to a 2 piece shower shell, New toilet, floor sinks, 2 counter tops, dinning table,custom made seat cushions, 2 flat screen TV's, microwave, safe, heater, 3 ceiling fan/vents, propane tanks, propane cover, power jack, brakes, 4 tires, 4 mag rims, water pump, thermostat, aluminum step, 1 window, all brass hardware, 50 amp service, bath wall mirror, TP holder, shower rod and curtain, door mirror, 6 curtain rods and curtains, 2 brass faucets, Frig, and an amazing amount of stuff the wife apparently needs ( blankets ,throws, pillows, wall hangings,and knickknacks). This does not include the cabinets or polish job. Little thins quickly add up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_143618.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	325083   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_143353.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	325084  

75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I'm also a mechanic. If you're an experienced mechanic, you'll acheive your goal perfectly.

I finished a full restoration a month ago. I've now travelled 6000 miles with no issues, with many miles on dirt roads. The restoration took 3 months full time 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. My goal was something that is off grid as I struggle to spend more than an hour in an RV park. To make it off grid and never run on a generator plus have everything except the shell new cost me 30 grand in parts. Even at 30 grand, I would still consider my build cheap in comparison to others I've seen.

Weight and Ballance are actually pretty easy to obtain. Using frame and panel construction for everything I could and 1/2 inch plywood for everything else had me a lighter airstream than it was when it came from the factory. Ballancing it all is mostly self explanatory. I built a bedroom in the back. A bathroom in the middle and the living in the front. As you go along you can see what needs to be built to the correct weight, or what appliences, etc need to be placed where to counteract what you've done. It's not rocket science. You put a stove on one side. Then put the fridge on the other. You build a queen bed In the back. Then you build a dinette of similar weight in the front.

After a month of travel. The 3 things I'm most happy about is the following: I chose not to install a roof top air conditioner. This means that when I bounce down a dirt road, I have almost no flex from the shell due to 80 pounds sitting on the roof. I installed all the tanks inside the frame rails and many times crossing washes etc, I've had less than an inch to spare. Lastly. Lithium batteries. I can't believe how amazing they work in comparison to lead acid.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Kansas
I'll also add. After a month of searching for a restoration candidate. I gave up on looking at anything that had a good interior and focused only on those that had a good shell and a rust free frame. Everything that had been maintained was priced around the 10 grand mark and and quite often had a dented shell and rusty frames. Instead, I found one for 4500 that had an interior that was so disgusting I had to wear a respirator inside, yet the shell and frame were in good condition. As the interior was going to go to the dump anyway, I saved myself a lot of money giving up at looking for a livable airstream to restore.
Shermy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Galena , Illinois
Shermy, How about some photos, would love to see your completed job
75Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: I think shermy87 has it right. Look for a vintage Airstream project trailer by ignoring the interior but focus on the body, frame and subfloor. Ignore the dirt, the smell, the axles, the tires, appliances, etc. All this junk will be replaced in the project. You want first a good body, and then a good frame.

Seventies trailers are infamous for rear end separation and frame issues. This things can be repaired during the project.

Renovation budget was well described above. $20k in parts alone wouldn't surprise.

Well renovated vintage Airstreams carry a big price as the labor is extensive and expensive.

I might add the longer trailers, 27' and above, can be less expensive than the shorter trailers. People like the shorter ones for easy of towing, great weekenders, and the classic Airstream look. Longer ones take more horsepower to tow, but are more comfortable and great longer trip trailers.

I'm doing a 75 Overlander 27' right now. I enjoy working on it. I purchased it in pretty good shape, but it still had lots of needs. I find it well built, better than my former 66 Trade Wind. Well built meaning all the aluminum extrusions used for the cabinetry, thicker subfloor, better windows and doors, better bath fixtures, better soft goods, and other things. The aluminum exterior skins were changed to 3003 H18 about 1971 which is a cheaper grade of aluminum over the Alclad. Take a look at my project thread if you are interested.

Let us know if you decide to proceed in the vintage Airstream hobby.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	325297  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote