Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2003, 05:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Question What modifications have you done to your A/S?

I've noticed that some of us have done modifications to our A/S.

In the continual strive to learn from others, I thought it would be interesting for us to share(no matter how small or simple) our modifications.

Mine was to remove the front sofa/sleeper and I added a lay-z-boy and a swivel chair. I also moved the folding RS table forward so that the swivel chair would able to fit behind it, facing the TV or rear. My friend also made an L-shape cover to go over the battery boxes and converter.

Thanks-John

p.s. examples would be changing bed arangement, flooring, seating, ect ect
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Trim Colour

Hello John

For some time now we wrestled with the idea of changing the original trim colour on our 73 Safari. Some purists believe that changing the colour is not the right thing to do and I understand the reasoning but we made a decision to go for it. The first step was to refurbish and paint the Safari emblems. The original blue was replaced with a charcoal grey that matches the bottom trim colour of our van. We like the change and like the modern look. In the Spring I will replace all the all blue trim with the charcoal colour.
I came up with an idea to mount a "continental Kit" on the rear bumper but instead of placing a heavy spare tire in it I think bins could be built in the kit for handy storage.
Another item on our wish list is the addition of one or two RV sky lights.
Any thoughts or comments on these changes are welcome.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
A few glimpses of the past

Microwave, TV stand, New Curtains, and Stereo Speakers.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Retro Micro

The microwave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 007.gif
Views:	779
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1444  
Old 02-10-2003, 07:24 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
TV Stand

Chopped off for RV use
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream interior 012.gif
Views:	780
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1445  
Old 02-10-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Curtains and Stereo Speakers

a really happening Airstream, If the trailer is rockin,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream interior 016.gif
Views:	789
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1446  
Old 02-10-2003, 07:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What modifications have you done to your A/S?

Greetings John!

The modifications to my '64 coach have been modest in some ways, but have taken the unit some distance from absolute originality. Modifications have included:

A. Mounting three solar panels on the roof along with the following in floor level lockers: a controller, power inverter, and three gel cell batteries.

B. Refinishing the bathroom fixtures changing the color from a dated avacado green to a more neutral antique platinum.

C. Refinishing the interior walls with a three color sponge painting technique rather than the original Zolotone paint treatment. The second owner of the coach had painted over the Zolotone first with avacado green followed by "landlords beige", and I was very happy for a color change to something more peaceful.

D. Replacing the original furnace, air conditioner, and water heater with modern products designed for RVs for greater safety and dependability.

E. Replacing original fan equipped roof vents with thermostatically controlled, rain sensor equipped Fantastic Vent fans.

F. Replaced the original split-rim wheels and baby moon hubcaps with modern steel wheels designed for trailers with full wheelcovers from a 1970s Airstream. {The baby moon hubcaps were long-gone when I purchased the trailer.}

Kevin

E.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

We just purchased our 31' TT and have yet to use it (we are in our motorhome now). Our first change/modification was to install a central vacuum system!! This came as a directive from #1 wife. We have a central vacuum in the motorhome - and purchased the same model for the trailer (from Camping World).

Married for 47 years, and if I want to make it to 48 - better do as the boss says.

Don
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Changes

The major change (which is still in progress) is reorienting the dinette seats to make a couch so that we don't have to watch TV while sitting sidesaddle with the table digging into our ribs. I decided to do this when I found that it is now an option on new trailers like mine.

I constructed a new folding table that folds flat against the partition when not in use. The trailer is so much roomier now that it amazes me.

The photo shows the seats and table temporarily in place at the end of the first afternoon's work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	temporarily there.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1448  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:51 AM   #10
Contributing Member

First change

When I brought the trailer home for the first time, my wife commented that the dressing table was too close to the head of the bed. Sure enough, the first time I lay down onm the bed, I banged my elbow painfully against the table. Within hours, I had removed the table from the trailer and bandsawed a large portion from the top (the white portion in the photo).

I removed the laminate from the section I removed and used it to trim the edge and for later projects.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	table_mod.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1449  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-10-2003, 08:56 AM   #11
Contributing Member

Drag wheels

When it rains in Central Texas, it is usually like cow on a flat rock. Consequently, there are little gutters all over the place that will cause the back bumper to drag. I installed a set of drag wheels on my trailer early on that have saved me from gouging the pavement numerous times.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Old 02-10-2003, 08:58 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Don's Tow Vehicle

Now that's a REAL truck!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:01 AM   #13
Contributing Member

Pantry

The "Lazy Susan" pantry in the AS is neat, except that it has low sides. Things fall underneath on bumpy roads and can not be easily reached.

I solved this by installing a wraparound piece of plastic that presents a solid side when the pantry is closed and retracts out of the way when the pantry is opened.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-10-2003, 09:04 AM   #14
Contributing Member

Spice rack and medicine cabinet

Spices flew out ofthe spice rack on every trip and opening the medicine cabinet for the first time after moving the trailer was an adventure. I solved this by putting Lexan sliding doors on the spice cabinet and Lexan on the medicine cabinet shelves.

Here is the modified spice rack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spice_rack.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1452  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-10-2003, 03:56 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
electrical

rewiring my thermostat is the only mod. i've made.

i was walking by my trailer when it was stored between trips and heard the water pump running.

thinking this was odd, i went into the trailer and tried to turn it off. no luck!

what i found by removing circuits one by one was that the thermostat wires (two blues) were energizing the water pump some how.

the only way i figure that this could happen is when the cedar closet was installed at the factory one of the screws pierced the wiring harness and crossed the waterpump with the hot lead from the furnace.

so my only mod is two new blue wires run under the cabinets to power the thermostat. i capped off the original ones and abandoned them.

everything has worked perfectly since!

that was one long day of troubleshooting though!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
The DDC'd

My "new style" trailer .... (it's phat!)

Bought some old (used up) axles from Andy, slammed down the Argosy. Then I put 20" rims and low profiles on for "looks." Firestone airbags raise the trailer for entering campsites and "leveling." Cruising down the local waterfront drag I can get the trailer rocking side to side with the aircontrols! (just like the lowriders!) I also don't have too much problem leveling at the campsite.

Neon (purple) lights light up the underneath and glow at night- helps greatly for nighttime hookups to the Astro. I have a "dragger bar" that is remote controlled with a propane jet - you should SEE those flames - great for marshmellow roasts - ANYTIME! (just eats up my propane supply fast though )

Anyway - next up is the purple to alunimum fade paintjob - just saving up!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc,

You HAVE to post some pics of this too cool unit!

Some at night and others showing the airbags in action.

Or are you just busting B@lls!!!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:20 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
1969 29' Ambassador
Winthrop Harbor , Illinois
Thumbs up Modifications

Having a wife that considers staying at a Holiday Inn is camping, I was in need of something unique. I have a 1970 Ambassador that has been completely gutted and remodeled. This new "vintage" trailer sports a modern kitchen, hardwood floors, and the topper--a fully functioning jacuzzi whirlpool tub that looks out the rear window!! I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed whirlpooling while staring out the window watching Yellowstone Parks amazing beauty. And they call this camping?!?!
Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dolly wheels

Pahaska.

Adding dolly wheels is NOT recommended.

First, they lower the rear ground clearance.

Secondly, as in your case, should you bottom out while turning, you will tear up the wheels since they don't swivel.

Thirdly and most importantly, should you bottom out at a speed something more than a crawl, the rear end of the trailer will be lifted in an area that is "taboo."
Damage to the rear quarter panels will occur, in the form of buckling the panels, as well as promoting "rear end separation."

Damage to the rear quarter panels has happened to many others that have installed "dolly wheels."

And finally, Airstream has skid plates at the rear bottom of every trailer, for the purpose of protecting the rear end.

A word to the wise. If you added dolly wheels to your Airstream trailer, or classic Airstream motorhome, "TAKE THEM OFF"
You and your coach, will be glad you did.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:07 PM   #20
Contributing Member

Dolly wheels

First, the ground clearance is reduced by all of 5/8". Not likely to make a whole lot of difference in whether I drag or not.

Second. I would much rather drag a $5 set of plastic wheels sideways than grind metal off the drag bars on the trailer. The first time I dragged on an unexpected concrete storm drain without the wheels, it took considerable metal off the drag bar. The bars won't take very much of that.

Thirdly, it is going to put a lot less strain on the frame to have a rolling contact than a draggging contact, especially at obstruction such as a concrete seam.

No way. They are there and they are going to stay on there and my coach is glad I put them there.
WBCCI #9632