Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is just too frigin funny!! LOL

Hey I was thinking of taking out a few of the incandes lights and replacing them with some 16watt florecents. Anyone know of a good one to look at? I was thinking of Thinlite, but you all are the masters....any input, I take to heart!

Thanks,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 05:02 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Talking Mods? No, repairs!

Howdy, all. (Eric, when are you going to get some pics in your gallery? The biggest mod you did was take it home!)

I replaced the Wal-mart P235/15 radial tires that had a max rating of 720 pounds with 7.00x15 load rating C tires (I matched the original spare tire).

I killed the Black Widow spiders crawling out of the wheel wells too. One was a gorgeous big fat Black body with red design on it's back. I didn't recognize them, but the repair mechanics warned me not to lean down too far when inspecting their work, then explained why! The egg sacks in the wells are probably from them too...I wonder what else is living in the open belly pan areas...but with the 20 degree weather in Illinois for a week, probably nothing. Do egg sacks survive cold weather? Hmmm...

Replaced the 12/4 power cord that was spliced onto the 10/3 plug with duct tape. Connected that pesky green wire (coming in from the power cord) to the case of the circuit breaker panel.

Replacement of the tongue jack with an electric was necessary because the original was difficult, then impossible when the crank handle dissappeared during transport. Used an Atwood Deluxe (2,500 lb) model, and had to enlarge the bottom hole (through the 1/8" sheet steel on the tongue) from 2.08" to 2.2". Oh, yeah, I will need 12 volts ... none in the trailer now, but the emergency override handle is easier than the original!

Eliminated the cinder block tongue height helpers used by the PO. I don't have a pic yet of the final setup with the cone. Not yet...

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 09:12 AM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Mods? No, repairs!

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil and/or Sue
Howdy, all. (Eric, when are you going to get some pics in your gallery? The biggest mod you did was take it home!)

I was wondering where you've been, I can see now you haven't had a spare set of hands for the keyboard with all that you've been up to!

Well, now that school is out, I can borrow one of the schools digital camera. I have been promising some pics of the car mods I have made and you're right, the only mod I made with the Bambi was bringing it home-- if washing and waxing doesn't count!

I am thinking of swapping a few of the lights in my prev post to save on some power since we will have lights on a bit.

Eric
Old 03-23-2003, 09:22 AM   #44

Quote:
I killed the Black Widow spiders crawling out of the wheel wells too. One was a gorgeous big fat Black body with red design on it's back.
Lucky you. You may have a rare black widow, one with marking on the back. They seem to be less common. The ones we have, have a big red dot on the belly. The female, that is. The only one to worry about. The males have marking on top, but are harmless.

"Adult female northern widow spiders are shiny black or brown-black with 2 reddish triangles on the underside, resembling a split hourglass.
Markings of the same color but in varying patterns are sometimes present on the back.
Adult males are harmless, and usually have yellow and red bands and spots over the back."

Don't you love these charming creatures ?

One of the first things we done for our trailer, was keep away nature from it as much as possible. Nature has the lousy habit of trying to get in: here is something that I rather not see too often - in - or out. (it's about the size of a mouse)
We built a concrete pad surrended by rocks. Rocks seem to be the only place we can grow grass on .... ....and things crawl in the grass.......... Nature wins in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spider.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1808  
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 09:27 AM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
EEEEEEWWWWWWW!

Not to sound like a sissy or anything, but like Inidana Jones, I don't like spiders, but one the size of a 18-wheeler really gets me goin'!

Don't mind the little greenish looking ones though you find around the house, heck they could be considered pets their so domesticated......

Eric
Old 03-23-2003, 09:58 AM   #46

I do love spiders .... I would look for a tree to climb...inside the trailer.
Seeing Mike's legs on the picture, I couldn't imagine getting that close. He confirmed that he reached over to take the picture.....Not me....
By the way, they are not rare where we are. In a few weeks, I will stop walking between trees where they are waiting to kiss me.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 01:09 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
John's living room with lay-z-boy

By John:
Quote:
Mine was to remove the front sofa/sleeper and I added a lay-z-boy and a swivel chair. I also moved the folding RS table forward so that the swivel chair would able to fit behind it, facing the TV or rear.
John sent me pictures of the location for the Rocky Mountain AirstreamForums.com Rally and included this picture for all to see ...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fh000022.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1858  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:22 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
Cool Mods

I started from scratch after I bought my Globetrotter. Check out the retro microwave where the oven used to be.

It's now upholstered in a nice palm tree material with tan/light green/brown curtains.

http://iowaboys.com/restore/langley/globetrotter.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:25 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
In this photo you can see 3 things we have done over the winter. At the very top is the new Fantastic Fan. Below that is the new stereo system. I am not quite finished with that yet. It needs to be fastened down somehow. If you look to the right you will see a speaker on the wall. I did not know those existed until I removed the curtains on that side! I'll have to see if I can find the wires for them and hook them up to the new stereo. Towards the bottom of the picture you can see the newly re-upholstered couch, costing about $315 materials and labor. One more thing I snuck in. I changed the incandescent light bulbs in the reading lights behind the couch to RED led's. Diane will probably make me take them out and put the old ones back in once she sees them. She is working on the new curtains as I type this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1864  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 06:12 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Pick looks tell all...looks very good.

I am now working on a list of the things I have done to post.
I noticed you have the same set on on the range top with the burner knobs down in the hole.
I fixed this by glueing laminate back to back cut to fit over the top of the knobs. The laminate matches the cutting boards that cover the sinks and covers the hole much the same way. It looks good and works by keeping stuff from falling into the hole when the stove is not in use.

just a thought.........

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 10:25 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
My biggest modification

I rearranged the floorplan in my GT, and all the projects are inter-related, but the bathroom was the biggest modification. The original was just too small to be of practical use for us, so I moved the wardrobes out and replaced the molded lower fiberglass section. The shower is now a standard 32"x32" home style base and with the wardrobe moved out there is more room for the toilet and sink. I was reluctant to do this but the original was in need of considerable repair anyway. Here's a photo looking aft showing my new floor as well as the base.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20030313-16_0003.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1867  
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote