Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2003, 07:25 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

What makes Airstream such a legend?

Hi community, you all obviously love Airstream trailers and/or motorhomes. Why had it to be Airstream?

For me it had to be an Airstream (after having had 2 other European built trailers before) because it was like "You see it, you love it". I knew these trailers from Amercian movies and I ask myself, why am I so strongly attached to A/S trailers? There seem to be several reasons:
The shape and the pure aluminium attracts me a lot without being able to explain why.
In these old movies the A/S trailers represented a kind of freedom, maybe this adds to the feeling.
Or is it the name Airstream, that implies a feeling of being free like a bird? Of being in the air?

I really am interested in your thoughts and comments on this issue? What is it that makes Airstream such a legend for you?
Hans
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I always thought and was told that Airstreams are "Top of the Line". I have always been intrigued by their shape and aluminum finish. I also noticed that there seem to be few around, compared to SOB's. Now I am the kind of guy that does not follow the crowd, so an Airstream fits me perfectly. One of our neighbors has a 26 footer that has been setting in the same spot for 15+ years. Lots of people have tried to buy it, but he won't sell. It's been a carrot hanging over my head for so long, I couldn't take it. Had to find one, and I did!

Back to plowing some "global warming". 10F here and sun is shining.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Hans..

I went to the 45th year reunion of my public school last summer.
I met one of my school mates there from grade 5. She told me that she recalled me always sketching "Airstream trailers" in art class.

My Dad had a small RV dealership back in the late 50's and spent the rest of his spare time travelling with a trailer. It was our thing to see which one of the family would spot an Airstream on the road first. My dad owned many trailers but never owned an Airstream. He also passed away 2 years before we bought our Airstream. I'm sure he is looking down on us with a smile on his face.

Like many others I have never followed the crowd with much of anything.

The big thing about Airstreams was the fact that they have always led the industry in towability. Towing them with a regular sedan was also captivating for me and I still believe that to this day. Luv those silver bullets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air intrepid.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1296  
Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Because ...

Even before I owned an Airstream, I could pass hundreds of white boxes on the highway and notice only the rare Airstream that passed.

Like Pick, I don't follow the crowd. Every one of my four trailers have been conversation starters. I have yet to make a trip that folks don't start conversations with me about my Airstream. I love it!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hey Wayne:

That ain't exactly a fire breathing smoke belching stinking four wheel drive pick'um up truck like so many others feel they must have to move a big Airstream like that.

I'm going to hitch up my Windstar.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There are many reasons why Airstream retains it's popularity.
The top two are:

1. It's one of the 500 best made products in the world, according
to Money Magazine.

2. It's a true "work of art."

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
airstreamcandy.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Yes Gord....It is a fine sunny day.....go for it.

I don't inhale the fumes anymore when following the smokers. I just pass the big rigs going up the hills and problem solved!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2003, 11:39 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Aesthetics

An Airstream doesn't stick out and clash with its surroundings - it looks like it belongs. If you see one in the middle of a forest you aren't offended.

So many of the constructs we produce are intrusive and ugly, at odds with the surroundings. An idea is a start, but a successful design incorporates fit as well as function. It should blend in, not dominate. When we are unmindful of the marks we make, we come across as boorish and clumsy.

An Airstream will balance, harmonize with its environment. It feels right. In an Airstream, we aren't threatening or invasive - we aren't intruders. In an Airstream, we're members of the universe.
4521red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re-made right...

Andy/RV centre In.
Say Andy,...back to your point, bit like BARBED WIRE...one of the FEW things to be made RIGHT FIRST time...would you say ?
...Chris.....
Old 01-20-2003, 12:09 PM   #10
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
A way of life

Airstream means, for me, a way of life;

You want to spend differently good times , not in a white box , but in something special you can be proud of it, because this silver bullet is a part of the American dream. So you've to merit an airstream, certainly waiting a long time and you have to love it. It's an exeptional jewel because we 're exceptional too and unusual...

When a child says " WOUWW " , you know you've made the good choice in style life and he replies:" When I'll be older, I'll gotten one too..."

An airstream or nothing !

Bruno;
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Smile

Re-wording what Andy said:

I think the real reason for its popularity is it's art that really works!

Take care,
Sean
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thumbs up Vans Shirt

My young friend gave me this cool shirt for Xmas. He bought it in a Snow board shop. Can you believe this. The kids like the bullets as much as we do. This has got to be a first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vans shirt.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1301  
Old 01-20-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
It seems to me that Airstreams are somewhat of a status symbol besides being well-made and having superior towability.

For a TT they cost quite a lot. Most of our earlier years we could not afford a $50,000 trailer just for vacations.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Well to sum up so far, Airstream is simply unique, and this is, what Airstream-people are, too - obviously ...
Hans
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Their just too cool!

Hans,

Thanks for starting such a positive thread!!

I, like many others, have always loved them. I remember I saw a rally in a cow pasture in NH when I was a kid and just thought how lucky they were! We were tent camping in those old canvas cabin style tents(not that that wasn't cool too)

I bought mine because I knew I was going to be fulltiming for many yrs to come and I wanted a trailer that was going to hold up to the day-to-day living. Plus like Gordon/Wayne said, you don't need a hugh tow vehicle to pull it down the road.

I had a house by the beach, but I never woke up as happy as I do today!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What makes Airstream such a legend?

I don't think that anyone interested in RVs will ever forget their first exposure to Airstreams. Whether its the artistry of the design, the comparative rarity of the product, or some other intrinsic/extrinsic phenomena; the Airstream typically leaves an indellible impression on those exposed.

My first encounter with Airstream was as a five year old when the '64 Overlander that I now own was brand new and in the hands of its original purchasers. After taking that first, brief trip in the "silver trailer", I was hooked by RVing. It would be another 31 years before I was able to acquire an Airstream (the one from my childhood memories no less); but it was well worth the wait.

I often think of the comparison to the advertising utilized by Packard during the height of its popularity:

""Ask the man who own's one.""

I am sure that it is much the same with Airstream as it was with Packard; each owner has his or her unique take on why Airstream is such a jewel to own.

Kevin.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:06 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Hans,

I purchased our Airstream Excella in March of last year and we have taken two trips. One a shake-down and the other an eight week 3000 mile trip. I am a newbie.

I have wanted an Airstream since I was a kid. (I'm 61). To me, it represents quality, value and brings to the owner a pride of ownership one doesn't get from the other brands. If you buy a 25 year old trailer of SOB, you generally get something that is on its last legs. My Excella is as solid today as the day it was built. When I close the door, it makes a sound that says, "solidly built with quality materials". There is no vibration that shakes the whole unit. Just the solid "chunk" of the door sealing.

Along with the shape and name recognition, goes a mystique that represents a way of life. The Airstream Caravans that go all over the world, the Airstream parks where you find hundreds of units all parked in neat rows with flags flying connote a lifestyle of leisure, patriotism, camaraderie and quiet dignity.

On the road or in a campground, they are unique and draw attention. I pulled into a gas station and was stopped by a gentleman who started telling me about how much he had wanted an Airstream and wanted to know all about mine. This engenders a sense that one is responsible for something more than just a travel trailer and that it should be kept in the best condition your means allow.

When you think of quality and elegance in automobiles, you think Rolls Royce, in travel trailers you think Airstream. They are both seemingly ageless and icons of their genre.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:46 PM   #18
hex

Wink Actually its a Cold Metal Fetish

Who knows!? Maybe we were each and all concieved in one....
and the attraction is a 'back to the womb/alma mater' thing!

Actually I just wanted one so I could hang out with yall fine folk and absorb all this "stuff" .

Quote:
4521red wrote:
"An Airstream doesn't stick out and clash with its surroundings - it looks like it belongs. If you see one in the middle of a forest you aren't offended.

So many of the constructs we produce are intrusive and ugly, at odds with the surroundings. An idea is a start, but a successful design incorporates fit as well as function. It should blend in, not dominate. When we are unmindful of the marks we make, we come across as boorish and clumsy.

An Airstream will balance, harmonize with its environment. It feels right. In an Airstream, we aren't threatening or invasive - we aren't intruders. In an Airstream, we're members of the universe."
red thought you might like this 'Smoking' related thread >link:>
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3251

Also you might check to see if the too old date on the egg nog has passed!

{It's a joke Ms Red} And that is what I am really looking for and it is elusive as the Holy Grail......2 dozen Airstreamers with a sense of humor!

BTW I don't think Airstreams "blend in" and they really do dominate their white-box peers IMHO. As for we 'Streamers ....Contrarians made us strong and free. I admire the lonely 3% (with a few exceptions).
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:27 PM   #19
JD1
1 Rivet Member

Hans

Hans / Anything that is shaped like a Jetliner has to be special. The shape, the shine, the presence,and the towability give Airstreams their timeless appeal.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
JDI/HANS

Anything like an shaped like a JETLINER...
Are you trying to say that's how they REALY started...Mr. W. B. just cut the center piece out, sealed the ends, and hey looks cool...well if that's the case...I would'nt mind one of those NEW virgin planes, we came over to Orlando on, got an UPSTAIRS too...lol
Take care ALL...Chris.....