Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Can't put my finger on what it is that caught me, or even when I first encountered my first AS. I guess for me, they've just always existed.

I bought our '63 GT on the internet last month without having ever been inside one. SilverTwinkie graciously let me tour his before we went to pick it up, but I don't know what I'd have done if I realized then and there that I hated the thing!

I can say as a Macintosh user that I enjoy being part of a small, dedicated group of people that enjoy items of substance - well-thought out, well-designed, well-built things that are specific enough to become benchmarks for a whole category, but useful enough to fit a diverse set of needs.

I will admit this (and perhaps this will make me look like an attention-getter, but I don't think I am): my serious interest in Airstreams probably wouldn't have accelerated to the point of buying our Globe Trotter if everyone on the block had one in their driveway. There's something about the interaction (not quite the over-the-top stuff in QQQ's stories) that reinforces my enjoyment of it, and my admiration for a unique design that has survived the decades without becoming overdone, overused and overkill.

I also wouldn't have gotten bit by the aluminum bug if it weren't accessable to the common man. If you needed a Peterbilt to pull it, 3 different kinds of permits to work on it, and 6 zeroes in your bank account to enjoy it, it would lose all it's fun, and it's humble "attitude." It almost seems to exude humility as it sits, waiting quietly to take you someplace beautiful, doesn't it?

I think the mystique lies in a long history, a continued role in popular culture, a timeless design and simple construction.

bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:35 PM   #58
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona

Airstream does fit into a catagory that few manufacturers have survived. Harley Davidson, General Motors, Ford Motor Co, Honeywell to name some of the few.

Look at the car business. it used to be the big 4, I mean 3. Now we are down to 2.

It's tough to stay in business for nearly 70 years and still be American.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member
2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
This is from a previous thread:

"I like the rounded design, especially the interior. After spending all of my indoor life in cubicles of varying sizes (houses, schools, work, etc, etc), it's a nice change for the mind, to be inside the "cornerless" space of an Airstream. In terms of Feng Shui, there's better energy flow with the absense of corners (corners trap dead air, etc)".
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:43 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member
Now it is a year ago, since I posted this question in this forum. I thank you all very much for your very interesting answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamwinter.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	4395  

Hans is offline   Reply With Quote