Old 01-20-2003, 03:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Thumbs up Their just too cool!

Hans,

Thanks for starting such a positive thread!!

I, like many others, have always loved them. I remember I saw a rally in a cow pasture in NH when I was a kid and just thought how lucky they were! We were tent camping in those old canvas cabin style tents(not that that wasn't cool too)

I bought mine because I knew I was going to be fulltiming for many yrs to come and I wanted a trailer that was going to hold up to the day-to-day living. Plus like Gordon/Wayne said, you don't need a hugh tow vehicle to pull it down the road.

I had a house by the beach, but I never woke up as happy as I do today!

John

Old 01-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What makes Airstream such a legend?

I don't think that anyone interested in RVs will ever forget their first exposure to Airstreams. Whether its the artistry of the design, the comparative rarity of the product, or some other intrinsic/extrinsic phenomena; the Airstream typically leaves an indellible impression on those exposed.

My first encounter with Airstream was as a five year old when the '64 Overlander that I now own was brand new and in the hands of its original purchasers. After taking that first, brief trip in the "silver trailer", I was hooked by RVing. It would be another 31 years before I was able to acquire an Airstream (the one from my childhood memories no less); but it was well worth the wait.

I often think of the comparison to the advertising utilized by Packard during the height of its popularity:

""Ask the man who own's one.""

I am sure that it is much the same with Airstream as it was with Packard; each owner has his or her unique take on why Airstream is such a jewel to own.

Kevin.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Hans,

I purchased our Airstream Excella in March of last year and we have taken two trips. One a shake-down and the other an eight week 3000 mile trip. I am a newbie.

I have wanted an Airstream since I was a kid. (I'm 61). To me, it represents quality, value and brings to the owner a pride of ownership one doesn't get from the other brands. If you buy a 25 year old trailer of SOB, you generally get something that is on its last legs. My Excella is as solid today as the day it was built. When I close the door, it makes a sound that says, "solidly built with quality materials". There is no vibration that shakes the whole unit. Just the solid "chunk" of the door sealing.

Along with the shape and name recognition, goes a mystique that represents a way of life. The Airstream Caravans that go all over the world, the Airstream parks where you find hundreds of units all parked in neat rows with flags flying connote a lifestyle of leisure, patriotism, camaraderie and quiet dignity.

On the road or in a campground, they are unique and draw attention. I pulled into a gas station and was stopped by a gentleman who started telling me about how much he had wanted an Airstream and wanted to know all about mine. This engenders a sense that one is responsible for something more than just a travel trailer and that it should be kept in the best condition your means allow.

When you think of quality and elegance in automobiles, you think Rolls Royce, in travel trailers you think Airstream. They are both seemingly ageless and icons of their genre.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
http://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #18
hex

Wink Actually its a Cold Metal Fetish

Who knows!? Maybe we were each and all concieved in one....
and the attraction is a 'back to the womb/alma mater' thing!

Actually I just wanted one so I could hang out with yall fine folk and absorb all this "stuff" .

Quote:
4521red wrote:
"An Airstream doesn't stick out and clash with its surroundings - it looks like it belongs. If you see one in the middle of a forest you aren't offended.

So many of the constructs we produce are intrusive and ugly, at odds with the surroundings. An idea is a start, but a successful design incorporates fit as well as function. It should blend in, not dominate. When we are unmindful of the marks we make, we come across as boorish and clumsy.

An Airstream will balance, harmonize with its environment. It feels right. In an Airstream, we aren't threatening or invasive - we aren't intruders. In an Airstream, we're members of the universe."
red thought you might like this 'Smoking' related thread >link:>
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=3251

Also you might check to see if the too old date on the egg nog has passed!

{It's a joke Ms Red} And that is what I am really looking for and it is elusive as the Holy Grail......2 dozen Airstreamers with a sense of humor!

BTW I don't think Airstreams "blend in" and they really do dominate their white-box peers IMHO. As for we 'Streamers ....Contrarians made us strong and free. I admire the lonely 3% (with a few exceptions).
Old 01-22-2003, 07:27 PM   #19
JD1
1 Rivet Member

Hans

Hans / Anything that is shaped like a Jetliner has to be special. The shape, the shine, the presence,and the towability give Airstreams their timeless appeal.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:01 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
JDI/HANS

Anything like an shaped like a JETLINER...
Are you trying to say that's how they REALY started...Mr. W. B. just cut the center piece out, sealed the ends, and hey looks cool...well if that's the case...I would'nt mind one of those NEW virgin planes, we came over to Orlando on, got an UPSTAIRS too...lol
Take care ALL...Chris.....
Old 01-23-2003, 07:33 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Re: Actually its a Cold Metal Fetish

Quote:
Originally posted by hex

BTW I don't think Airstreams "blend in" and they really do dominate their white-box peers IMHO. As for we 'Streamers ....Contrarians made us strong and free. I admire the lonely 3% (with a few exceptions).
Airstreams "blend in" with Mother Nature.

I'm not interested in blending in with the other trailers.
Old 01-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I always like the trailer or motorhome concept, and having travelled in a tour bus as a musician for a number of years I learned to like the road. The only motorhome i ever wanted was a bluebird, but they are out of my reach. Then i saw an Airstream motorhomeparked on a farm near a friends home. Wow!
I stopped the car, studied it awhile trying to figure out how they made that trailer into a driver. Then I found out--- it actually was a motorhome and factory built at that
That got me reading, looking, and searching the web for info....then a month or so later I saw my second one, and got to look inside it and talk to the owner.
I was done!!....ready to get one for myself and make it my own. Thattook two more months.
So far , now that I have it in my driveway for over a year, I haven't tired of gazing out at the silver bullet and thinking about getting it back on the highway..and real soon . I also think about what I can plan to repair/remodel/restore on it next.
I admit..I am addicted!!

My next physical, they will probably find aluminum running thru my veins.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
When I was a kid my dad purchased a "Trailblazer" trailer - made of 2X2's with a tacked on aluminum skin. It was cheap and towed terribly (sway). After a couple years he sold it and bought a nearly new 1973 Airstream Safari - which he kept the rest of his life (another 26 years). Although the interior was worn, the exterior and structure lasted very well.

A few years ago I bought a "Mallard Sprinter" motorhome. Basically made of 2X2's and tacked-on fiberglass skin. It too was cheap... and was a hassle in a campground to not have separate wheels to explore. I don't like the idea of a motorhome towing a car (seems excessive having two engines where only one is needed). We sold the cheapo MH a few years ago.

So this time it's an Airstream trailer. Although the interior is a bit cheap, the structure will last my lifetime. And I can unhitch and use my Explorer to explore.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:35 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

A buddy and I planned to travel the US in an old panel truck when I graduated from high school in '66 - but school, work, and Uncle Sam got in the way -- and we couldn't afford an Airstream.

My wife and I planned to travel the US in a pop-up trailer when I finally graduated from college in '75 - but work and family got in the way -- still couldn't afford an Airstream

My wife (same one! 30 years!) and I are planning to travel the US when I retire SOON! The family is grown, there's no more 'work', and the parking space is ready for the Airstream at the cabin on the lake.

Sometimes you work for something and it happens... we're down to counting the months for buying either new one or a Vintage unit in ready-to-travel condition.

I've seen Airstreams on the road 'forever' and have liked the folks that own or owned one. The dream is about to be realized... for all the reasons that have been mentioned above.

Having been around construction most of my life, I've learned to appreciate quality and efficiency. Three weeks of mountain backpacking at 50 provided further evidence that one doesn't need much "stuff" to survive -- as long as it's "good stuff." The Airstreams are symbols of all of that -- they're efficient, long lasting, and made for traveling.

Most of all, we want to go on those caravans and see this country up close - finally. The wait is almost over!

See you on the road... SOON! And I hope this helps to answer your question!

-- Larry
Old 02-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
To me, why do SOB's have to paint the aluminum exterior, when the unpainted version is so beautiful.

An airstream is smooth and shiny. What more is needed?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-03-2003, 01:35 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Sounds like poetry ...

Thanks a lot for your comments so far - some of your writings sound like poetry ... I can find myself in allmost each posting.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #27
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
While I am new to this forum, and I currently don't own any Airstream, I do hope to get into a 19' Bambi when finances allow...

Some observations though. My wife and I have been camping for a little over two years now, using our 2001 VW Eurovan MV Weekender. (poptop). We love this vehicle and spent an entire month living in it! During our time out, we saw tons of Jaycos, Winnies, and other camping vehicles that less than inspired us. Most of these things just looked like mobile homes with wheels, and interiors that look like that of a 727. But we sort of got the bug to see what's out there..

Occasionally we would see an Airstream trailer. They just look cool! Being new to this, I wondered if they still even made these things or do you spend 10 years of your life renovating an old one. I was more interested in actually using an AS than rebuilding one, although I really admire those who have gone out of their way to rebuild!

Since I started thinking about AS seriously the past five or six months, I've learned much. Thanks to the internet, friends, and groups like this.

When you see an Airstream, you almost feel that it is a different time. They have not changed this thing for the most part, ever! It makes me think of the old VW Beetles. They did not really mess around to much with a good thing. They also ring out quality. I also get hungry when I see an Airstream, because one of my favorite places to eat in Providence, RI, the Silver Top Dinner, was housed in an AS! Sadly, the Silver top is now closed, I think.

I think I could call it quits for my advertising photography biz, maybe sell hot dogs without ketchup in my AS, then head to my campsite, play a little guitar under my awning....

Somehow, the AS even looks like it could be some sort of aquatic vehicle....

It's the rivets. The door that looks like it almost might be hermetically sealed...
The antena on the roof so that your round-oscilliscope TV might get better reception....

The decor, while still just a little to pattern-y for my taste, is far more appealling than other companies offerings.

For me, there is also this connection between earth and outer space. The astronauts would be contained on an AS, either before or after a space flight...
Old 02-09-2003, 04:56 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Short sumup so far ;)

Here is a short sum up of the A/S legend-reasons so far ... Have fun

Pick: Airstreams are "Top of the Line". Do not follow the crowd.
John: don't follow the crowd.
Gordon: I'm going to hitch up my Windstar ...
Andy: It's one of the 500 best made products in the world, and: It's a true "work of art.
4521red: A/S will balance, harmonize with its environment. In an Airstream, we're members of the universe.
Bruno: a way of life;
Sean: it's art that really works!
Wayne: my school mates from grade 5 told me that she recalled me always sketching "Airstream trailers" in art class. AND: Like many others I have never followed the crowd
Kistler: status symbol besides being well-made and having superior towability.
John: I had a house by the beach, but I never woke up as happy as I do today!
Kevin: Ask the man who own's one
Vic: ageless and icons of their genre.
Hex: a Cold Metal Fetish ...
JDI: The shape, the shine, the presence,and the towability give Airstreams their timeless appeal.
AlanSD: I saw an A/S and Wow! I admit..I am addicted!!
dmac: My dad bought a nearly new 1973 Airstream Safari - which he kept the rest of his life (another 26 years).
Larry: I've seen Airstreams on the road 'forever' and have liked the folks that own or owned one.
Action: An airstream is smooth and shiny. What more is needed?
Crazylev: You almost feel that it is a different time. It's the rivets. - also this connection between earth and outer space.