Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
St. Louis , Missouri
What Kind of Folding Ladder to Buy?

Greetings,

I would like some advice on a good, reasonably-priced folding ladder to buy. Would like it to be able to extend about 2-feet above our '07 Safari SS so that, if necessary I could use the overextension as a hand hold to actually get on the roof for maintenance. Also needs to fold to no more than 6' so that I can get it into my pickup. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.

James
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Try HARBOR FREIGHT . They have thier folding ladder ON SALE. IT can make several different configurations. ITS about $120 buck compaired to over $300 bucks for the same thing and the reviews on the name brand are not so good. Im going tomorrow and get one. IT folds up to about 4 ft tall and 8 inches thick and standard ladder width, it extends to 17feet I think. I have gotten caught and had my antenna hang up and needed a ladder. I have been carrying a 8 ft step but thats just to much.
GOOD LUCK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Try Telesteps (sp correct I think) which is a telescoping ladder, lightweight and aluminum. Easy to transport and it extends by "telescoping" to close to 12 feet. Google it. I also think Camping World sells a similar ladder.
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Jim, I have two of these the 13 and 17. Can't say enough positve about them. The 13 I use around the trailer mostly in the position shown - gets you high enough for almost any job - no leaning a ladder against the unit.

Werner 13 ft. Aluminum Telescoping Multi Ladder with 300 lbs. Load Capacity (Type IA Duty Rating) - MT-13 at The Home Depot
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
For a folding ladder that you intend to use as a platform over the top, just try to calculate the optimal height and make sure the lengths of the ladder you buy will get you there. The 16 footer I just bought, for example, gives me only 8 feet of height (a little more would be better) from two segments extended, and adding a third would take it to 12 which is too high.

For safety, as well as convenience, I'd rather not have to shim up the ladder with blocks.

That Werner 13 may be just the ticket... 3 segments should be very close to 10 feet with one segment left to fold over onto the roof to use as a platform.
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
This may be better for getting the perfect height as it has legs that can be extended.

Werner 22 ft. Aluminum Telescoping Multi-position Ladder 300 lb. Load Capacity Type IA Duty Rating-MT-22 at The Home Depot
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
For portability, I got one of these, not sure if mine is the same length though. I got one a little bit longer (prob too long) for the extra weight capacity it had.

10.5 Foot Telescoping Extension Ladder - Regal Ideas 1400E - Ladders - Camping World
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Ugh one more thing to consider (from a ladder review posted at Home Depot)....

"Remember that "22 ft" is a marketing term based upon the extended length of the ladder plus the reach of an average height male. This type of misleading spec is common to all ladder manufacturers I know. If you take this into consideration, then you'll end up with the ladder you need."

So the best thing to do is probably measure where you want to be and then go try them out at the store with a tape measure in hand. This is really most important if you want to create a platform at the top, folding one segment of that type of ladder, or scaffolding. Or just try one and take it back if it doesn't work.
WBCCI #1711
Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Pona View Post
Greetings,

Would like it to be able to extend about 2-feet above our '07 Safari SS so that, if necessary I could use the overextension as a hand hold to actually get on the roof for maintenance.

James
Actually, OSHA (for good reason) recommends that an extension ladder extend at least 3½ feet above the level you're going to step onto. That puts the top of the ladder side rails about waist height, so you can safely step sideways on or off the ladder at the top while holding onto BOTH rails, without bending over to do it.

You're not bound by OSHA, of course, when buying a ladder for personal use. But it's a good idea in this case, as long as your other criteria can still be met.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Made in USA.

http://vulcanladderusa.com/
http://www.bauerladder.com/safety-la...t/?q=Extension
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
try Little Giant Ladders. I think they are still made in Utah. I worked for them for a time 35 years ago while I was in college and the ones i see today are still an excellent product.
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote