Old 11-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
I see in the posts above people talk of a "proper antenna" - could someone give me a heads up on what antenna your talking about?.

We use the stock one that came with the trailer and it seems to be okay (mind you okay is a relevant term) because as far as I'm concerned if it works at all (3-4) channels, I think that is good. I'm from Canada and don't know that I should actually be getting lot more.

So if anyone can point me towards what is considered a good antenna that would be great

Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 11-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Doug, did Canada go all digital for over the air like the US?.. If so try the app "TV antenna Helper" (there are others too) They will tell you where and how many signals there are wherever you are. Then get a "wingman" for your batwing antenna. It almost doubled the number of digital stations I was getting without it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
I see in the posts above people talk of a "proper antenna" - could someone give me a heads up on what antenna your talking about?.

We use the stock one that came with the trailer and it seems to be okay (mind you okay is a relevant term) because as far as I'm concerned if it works at all (3-4) channels, I think that is good. I'm from Canada and don't know that I should actually be getting lot more.

So if anyone can point me towards what is considered a good antenna that would be great

Thanks
Doug

Do not have specific model number but Outdoor Wineguard Amplified Sensar Antenna extended wing design. Looks very similar to AS FC antenna but permanently mounted DIY. We live in wooded area at approx. 1200 ft. elevation. Due to tall trees surrounding our property, satellite dish do not work and only one not so good expensive cable service available. Guess you could say we're happy campers!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Yes I think Canada has also gone digital. in my case, we use our trailer mostly in the south in the winter so it is the US situation that is most relevant to me.

Thanks for the into on the app and the antenna. I will look into them both right away

Thanks again
Doug

Old 11-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
We use a Win7 Laptop with everything on it. Media Center comes with Win 7 so you can get over the air TV using a USB tuner hooked to the TV antenna. I also carry DVD's ripped to the laptop as well as music. Media Center also records TV so you can pause and let the buffer fill up so you can skip over commercials. We can't watch anything live anymore. We just start Media Center and put it on pause until there is enough show saved to start skipping commercials. I have a remote so it works like a DVR at home. We use our phones as hot spots if we need the internet. I suppose you can watch anything on the net by using a phone as a WiFi hot spot but the data charges can get expensive. I have an HD monitor hooked to the laptop and some external speakers. It is all portable this way. We are usually not gone long enough to bother with a satellite dish. If you have nothing better to do than watch TV you are not camping correctly. You should be out there hiking and biking and canoeing etc and enjoying nature. The entertainment toys are nice for rainy days and evenings, especially if you have kids.

Perry
Old 11-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
topeka , Kansas
Smart phone Vs wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Apparently I'm not up on the cutting edge - sounds interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
If you have a smart phone request your provider turn on your hotspot in your phone. Then look up in your phone to see what the network, login and password is. Your computer should see your phone as a wifi network, login. Most smartphone can handle 8 devices. Internet on the go, any where any time, as long as you have cell service. So Nefix Hbo epix Hulu or any web based movie provider is at your service.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by arden_dean View Post
If you have a smart phone request your provider turn on your hotspot in your phone. Then look up in your phone to see what the network, login and password is. Your computer should see your phone as a wifi network, login. Most smartphone can handle 8 devices. Internet on the go, any where any time, as long as you have cell service. So Nefix Hbo epix Hulu or any web based movie provider is at your service.

Cool - I may tinker and try it - thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I haven't gone too high tech just yet. We have watched DVD's, over the air on the Winegard antenna, DirecTV with a receiver from home and a Winegard satellite dish antenna, and cable at various campgrounds. I'm sure we already have the technology in place to do Netflix, Roku, Hulu, hard rive and what have ya. We just haven't gotten a round tuit.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are so many channels, so much GOOD programming, and a lot of variety on free over-the-air TV. If my wife would agree, I would get rid of $75 per month DirecTV. Free TV has better QUALITY programming and less ads, but there is still Home Shopping Club on free TV! I guess they ain't gonna miss a chance to make a penny!
Over the weekend we had cable in the campground, but still watched over-the-air TV just because they show better, cleaner, quality content- more family oriented-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #38
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
See...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am surprised that people get wifi to stream - guess wifi is getting more common

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Invest in proper antenna.
I was referring to his issues with internet. I'm surprised so many folks bother with their phone. While the phone is capable, it's not really meant for full time internet tethering for multiple devices. The more devices, the more it will slow down.

We have a wilson cradle booster for now, with a dual antenna setup. Works extremely well and the wilson has already paid for itself on several trips now.

I use the short 4 inch magnetic antenna on the truck and a a Wilson 32" Omni External Antenna on the Airstream, although I'm going to change this setup here shortly and build an Array.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You just gotta have Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz "The Long, Long Trailer" on DVD to watch with friends.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 11-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #40
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I use the short 4 inch magnetic antenna on the truck and a a Wilson 32" Omni External Antenna on the Airstream, although I'm going to change this setup here shortly and build an Array.
Reminds me of a conversation I had last week with the guys rebuilding our Argosy motorhome, it went something like this

Kevin (the Airstream tech); what TV antenna do you want me to install.

Me; haven't you just spent 2 months removing 'stuff' from the roof, and making good the holes?

Kevin; OK, I get it

Only things we have on the roof are the sky-lights....
Old 11-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The phones are pretty capable now. I was impressed with ours. I just did a speed test on my phone and it was doing 9 Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. That is faster download than DSL and better upload speed than my cable internet at home. If you get one of the bigger data plans with AT&T they throw in the WiFi hot spot capability. You can also download apps that will let you use your phone as a hot spot even if your phone company wants you to pay extra for it. We have a 10G plan that the wife and I share and it is plenty for basic internet. Now if you want to watch movies through the phone connection you better get one of the better data plans. The speed is there. We used the phone at home when our internet was out for a couple of weeks.

Also if the phone is outside the trailer where it can get good signal you have plenty of WiFi inside the trailer and around the camp sight. I usually put the phone on top of a cloths line pole or on top of the truck roof. The higher the better.

Perry
Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #42
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Reminds me of a conversation I had last week with the guys rebuilding our Argosy motorhome, it went something like this

Kevin (the Airstream tech); what TV antenna do you want me to install.

Me; haven't you just spent 2 months removing 'stuff' from the roof, and making good the holes?

Kevin; OK, I get it

Only things we have on the roof are the sky-lights....
Yes, I would prefer cleaner lines on the AS roof. Kind of why I'm torn over our one MaxxAir vent. Very tempted to remove it.

I think what I want to do since we don't use the TV antenna is replace it with a directional antenna array designed for Verizon's spectrum. But I am scetching this out.

Most guys seem to go with something like a Surecall 9 inch omnidirectional antenna.

The wilson works really well, and right now I'm just putting it up, it's not officially permanently mounted yet.

-------

Speaking of my earlier statement about TV's and better sound, I'm really disappointed that Bose is the only company offering a sound bar that is under 32 inches.