Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
What is the right size?

OK, Airstreams range from as little as 16' to as long as 34'. The weights go from as little as 2400lb for some of the old classics to over 8000lb for the wide body late model trailers. We all have different needs or wants in a trailer.
I prefer smaller and lighter trailers: Just the minimum to get the job done, easy to tow, easy to park and less to take care of. We have a 17' Safari Sport and find it is just great for us. One of my big "wants" in a trailer is a full size shower; my wife is just fine with the wet bath with the shower wand. We both prefer the microwave/convection oven over the traditional oven. We both miss the extra size of a larger trailer because we can't take any of the grandkids with us like we did with our old 23' trailer.
I'd like to know what other Airstreamers like in trailer size and why.
What is better
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I really like my 28' I find it easy to tow and park with just enough room for two with our 2 dogs.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
I enjoy my 25' (not FB), it's roomy, it's the perfect bachelors pad... And I can easily bring my lady along too...

There is no size-fits-it-all... Depends all on your personal lifestyle/situation
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We started out thinking the 17' SS was to be it. While at the dealer the DW saw the 22' and said let's just take a peek, the rest is history. After several years of ownership we are still happy with our choice. We can take the grand kids along but they would rather be in a tent anyway.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
_

. , .
many variables to consider...

what's right for some is left for others...

there are POLLS here on this issue and a zillion threads...

some are funny...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...-me-41624.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
One of the facts I find insightful is that people tend to gravitate to larger and larger trailers over the course of years.

Usually people looking at smaller trailers are trying to fit an existing storage or tow vehicle situation.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Our first trailer was 15 ft. It worked although cramped until we took a two week trip. We moved to 21 feet shortly after. This time when we upgraded, I was looking at 28, but my wife said, since we hope to have it a long time, lets just get a 31. We both like the 31 floor plan. I really like the extra room, carrying capacity, and storage. I have not yet got comfortable with the greater maneuvering room needed.
regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Is your trailer a dictator?

A vote for smaller.
1) I do not want my trailer to dictate the TV I own.
2) I do not want my trailer to dictate the campsite I choose.

A vote for larger.
3) I do not want my trailer to dictate the fun I have. More a state of mind but, you can't argue create comforts do not help with this state of mind.

That said, my trailer is still not on the road so I have no personal experience.

I have been a ultra light backpacker for many years and can be happy with very little as long as I am out and about.

I got the trailer for both a project and the desire to have a place for my wife (not a backpacker) and I to settle in after a day out seeing the local sites where ever we decide to travel. We have done the B&B a couple of times and wile nice, it puts you on a schedule (room reservations). I am sure there are trailer places that you have to reserve and cannot over stay, but I hope they are not the norm.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
What You Want Is All That Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
OK, Airstreams range from as little as 16' to as long as 34'. The weights go from as little as 2400lb for some of the old classics to over 8000lb for the wide body late model trailers. We all have different needs or wants in a trailer.
I prefer smaller and lighter trailers: Just the minimum to get the job done, easy to tow, easy to park and less to take care of. We have a 17' Safari Sport and find it is just great for us. One of my big "wants" in a trailer is a full size shower; my wife is just fine with the wet bath with the shower wand. We both prefer the microwave/convection oven over the traditional oven. We both miss the extra size of a larger trailer because we can't take any of the grandkids with us like we did with our old 23' trailer.
I'd like to know what other Airstreamers like in trailer size and why.
What is better
Shucks,
25' is the cat's meow.
I like the old dawgs but a 23-25 year old, no, I mean feet, wide body would do me just fine.
If my kids have kids, what could be better than spending some time with them?
Priorities friend, just the things that are most important.
Grandkids are like children only better, you can send them home when you get tired of them.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Well we went "backwards" i think, we started out with a 31' SOB...sold that; got a trailmanor popup/sob also sold that....then got the 24' Argosy....and by far we love the 24 much more than all of the others....get the luxry of not having to deal with the popup situation...and not having to haul the "monster" as we used to call the 31' around....and not having to worry about length very much when we go anywhere now. Even my wife will tow the Arogsy around if needed. Also don't have to own the biggest gas/diesel guzzler out there to have to pull our trailer around.
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
All 3 of our AS's have been 25 footers. Easy to get in and out of places with plenty of room for my wife, myself, and 2 very spoiled cats.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Forgot to Add the Most Important Thing

Very important.
2 axles.
Runs with a flat, easy to change a tire if you get a flat.
Stable on the highway, very Stable.
Costs a little more in tolls and tires but worth it.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Certainly enjoy my 34' - gets me where I am going
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
We are new Airstreamers, having just purchased our 23' Flying Cloud in October 2009. Coming from a Class B MH (PleasureWay), for us, the 23' was just about perfect in size and layout. And it was the smallest AS with double axles, something I was looking for from a stability standpoint . As we looked for our new AS, it seemed that some layouts "live" larger or smaller than the length may indicate. We passed on the 23'FB and went for the 23' floor plan that has a couch, folding table and a desk area. We felt very comfortable in the space, although, as always, there were some trade offs and compromises made. For just the two of us, the 23' seems just right but, then again, ask me in a year or two from now when we have some miles on it.

And as a newbie, thanks so much for this wonderful site, so full of great information and discussion. Still reading, reading and reading! Hope to be able to make some contribution in the future. We'll post some pictures of our new pride and joy as soon as I finish reading how to do that!

Rich
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Several years ago I scoffed at a seasoned Airstreamer that had just traded up to a larger Airstream when she told me, you will go bigger. Yeah right, I thought. I am going bigger. How did she know?

We have had 3 Airstreams that were 25' and agree they were the "perfect" size. We now have a 23' and a 27' and the 23' is just right and the 27' is too small and 28' is going to be the new perfect size. Go figure. Every one has their sweet spot in Airstreams and we love them all. However, I feel safe in telling most, (not all) you will go bigger.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
CLARKSVILLE , Tennessee
What size is right?

The wife and I like our 25' classic which I feel is between the smaller and larger airstream sizes. It's easy to pull and park, suite our interior space needs perfectly and we seldom have any lenght issues when camping in state or national parks.

Camper Dave
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
When I first met Steve he had a Bambi, We only slept together once in that crammed bed, I spent the rest of the trip on the dinette alone I've read threads about fixing the toilet issue in these floorplan trailers so I won't go into it.
We eventually bought the 30 and with the kid and the dogs and sometimes a guest we needed the space. Being able to use the dinette in the evening and morning While our son slept on the gaucho was nice too. BUT some campgrounds we were too large and had to fib or skip to other places because of our length.
With Kid #2 we think sometimes to go bigger or slideout for the space but sometimes we think 27FB or maybe a Sport to tow with my Mom mobile. The right trailer will come along... and We'll be happy whatever (bigger or smaller) we choose.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
we love our 23'...

add a bunk over the gaucho and 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog can all sleep tight..

here's a nice article on size:

Choosing The Right Size Airstream
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
34ft to winter in Florida. (has a dinette to have company in); tow with turbo diesel

25ft to tow (doesn't drag the rear very often/no dinette); tow with 6.0 gas

29ft to caravan (no dinette but, plenty of storage for 3 months (new size is 28ft) tow with 6.0 gas, wish you had a diesel.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321 View Post
34ft to winter in Florida. (has a dinette to have company in); tow with turbo diesel

25ft to tow (doesn't drag the rear very often/no dinette); tow with 6.0 gas

29ft to caravan (no dinette but, plenty of storage for 3 months (new size is 28ft) tow with 6.0 gas, wish you had a diesel.
That's an other reason for the little Safari; I get about 14mpg while towing. I didn't even think about that when I started this thread.
Thanks, I feal even better now.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote