Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2002, 02:24 PM   #57
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Talking moment to reflect

Great recovery!~! I'll have to remember that one

BTW, I've posted some pictures of SilverTurtle's Aluminum jack stand, etc in the MembersPhoto section.

Old 11-13-2002, 05:28 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

I just paid over $200 for a new ice maker. Not vintage,
not hard to find.

It also won't ever fly open while driving down the road!

Old 11-14-2002, 06:36 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Stop and think about this folks.......

Stop and think about this: At least the parts are available! Sure some are expensive, but they ARE available. I look at it this way, I bought my 31' for $3995. I got a HELL of a deal. The guy who sold it did not know much about campers in general, let alone Airstreams.(He did not even know what the battery was for!) He did not winterize it properly last winter. The water heater was shot, and the plumbing was full of splits. It was a nightmare to repair one leak after the other. Lots of little things need attention. It needs new axles, but all in all, it is in GREAT shape for a 31 year old Airstream. When it is all said and done, I will have less than $7500 into her, but LOTS of hours in labor.

Now consider this: We were contemplating spending up to $35,000 for a SOB fifth wheel trailer. If we would have spent that kind of money, one year later that camper would be worth maybe $25,000. 10 grand would have vanished into thin air. Our Airstream will be worth at least as much as I have into it once the axles are replaced, maybe a little bit more. Hopefully it will appreciate in value, not depreciate.

We should be glad that there is someone like Andy who has the resources to support us. Some of those resources come from higher prices. It's not just Airstream. John Deere, Motorola, all the big industry names have high parts prices for out of production equipment. Andy is a great guy, who supports US and what we are doing. I have ordered my axles from him, and he threw in a few "easter eggs", and I thank him for it. If you can't take the high cost of parts for vintage Airstreams, go buy a new SOB. Watch your dollars vanish into thin air as it depreciates. You'll loose so much, that $498 door lock will seem insignificant.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Old 11-14-2002, 07:02 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member
I think what we're all saying is if you own your Airstream because of the pride of what it represents (classic quality) than you're willing to spend the dollars to maintain it to that standard. If it's just another trailer to you than it's okay to treat it like that and save some money by cutting some corners. Both are okay as long as your decisions meet your expectations. Yes many of the original part may be spendy, but it's the price we pay to own a classic. I paid over $700 for my screen door and everytime I open it I don't say to myself "Cheezzz that door was a rip-off" because I'm too busy thinking about how much I love my Airstream...
Old 11-16-2002, 03:47 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member
door hinge

Not us!!, but we did pay $65 apiece for door hinges plus UPS charges.

Tricia & Conrad
Old 11-19-2002, 04:26 PM   #62

yes, yes how about.....

airstreamfarms.com "the everything thats wrong with airstream forum"

or how about

ASHCCI.com the air stream haters carivan club international.......... we could even give out numbers!

or my favorite airstreamsucks.com

i'll have to talk to hex about your idea

This section was edited by the moderator, due to foul language

"you know what" in this case being my two middle fingers flying in the air. can you see them? how about know? can you see them now?
overlander of alaska

p.s. maybe you should go back to the begining of this thread and read my orignal question.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:40 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Now, Now!!

Oh it's a trip in here at times!
Old 11-19-2002, 05:13 PM   #64
Rivet Master
Inland RV

Andy provides an excellent srevice to this forum, no question!! Andy has purchased A/S surplus inventory of X% on the dollar. Win-win for Inland & A/S. A/S doesn't have to deal with the vintage owners and Inland RV reaps the replacement business. Of course there's inventory turns, taxes and dollars invested to affect a price increase. But to go from $22.50 in the 70's to $499 now seems a little excessive, considering that Inland probably bought it for 25cent on the dollar.
Andy, this is just my opinion. I'm from the surplus industry.
Old 11-19-2002, 05:15 PM   #65
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I edited your post, because of foul language.
You decided to go back in and reedit your post.
May I ask what you are trying to achieve with that action?
Is that finger pointing statement now directed at me personally?
We do not have the time to play your games, nor do any of the members of this forum.
Around here, you earn your credibility.

1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
Closed Thread