Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:29 AM   #15
overlander

the point

two people have responded in the intended way............I just wanted to get an idea of what things cost what people have spent for particular name brand air stream parts. that is all...

i'm not looking to pick on airstream parts prices....or talk bad about air stream.

I dont want shopping lists for groceries or fuel prices or car part prices...... just Air Stream related parts prices.

I wasn't nessicarily looking to get horror stories... sorry if it seemed that way

The point of the point
i was trying to find out what some of you out there have spent on Air Stream spacific parts. good stories bad stories what ever it might be....is there anything wrong with that?

Old 10-08-2002, 01:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Let me try and add my two cents hopefully without affending anyone if that's possible at this point. I understand corporate america....we're all on this earth to make some form of a living and enjoy the finer things in life. For me one of those finer things was owning a classic Airstream. I have had a lot of enjoyment in with it and know my kids will look back and have fond memories of the times we spent driving down the road looking for new places to explore. That for me is worth a lot. I do however feel at times Airstream is taking advantage of those trying to keep their Silver Bullets alive. I would ask the simple question how much is a reasonable mark up on a product to provide a company a reasonable return. If 100% is the number and that lock cost AS $250 to make than I'm willing to accept their price...but if the lock cost them $50 to manufacture and they're marking it up 900% than I feel that's gouching their customers. Now some will say the part departments of many companys are losing propositions and when you take into consideration the cost to inventory, facilities, employees etc. I don't know the case with AS. Maybe we should ask AS what their "Mission Statement" is. Does it address providing outstanding customer service, providing their customers with superior products at reasonable prices? Or does it talk more about providing their share holders great returns on investments? What's their culture...consumer or investor directed?

I'm sure maintaining inventorys of parts built over the last 40 or 50 years is probably a challenge and involves much more than I know. But I have to say some of the items I've purchase have left me a tad bit suspicious. When it cost hundreds of dollars to put new rubber trim around my motor home and I know other trim cost a fraction it's just not the same design it makes my blood boil.

It's obviously the price I'll have to pay to be part of this experience but it's too bad it has to be that way. I'm sure many people would like to own an AS but unfortunetly AS doesn't want to make it affordable for the general public. I can't say all their parts win any design or quality awards, it's just the name in many cases.

So I live with what I signed up for and chalk it up to a learning experience and a passion to create memories......

Ken

Old 10-08-2002, 06:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Parts Department

KEN,
This lil bit of info is something most of you may not be aware of.

Having spend several weeks during the last two years at the A/S factory while getting work done. I've gotten the chance to talk to a number of the employees there and, this is what I've discovered. Concerning the parts department, it's in a makeshift location for the time being due to expansion work. It currently location is in the work-bay area~! How many are there? I really didn't count but, I'd be willing to say more than 5 or 6 bays.These work-bay could be used to work on A/S TT and MH but, A/S has been using them for the parts depart.(for 3 yrs, at least). I know and, I'm sure you'll agree that, A/S could make more money on a daily basis using these areas for working on MH and TT.
It shows me that A/S is willing to go the extra distance to perform the work that's required by those of us who want the 'factory' expertise.
Somewhere I have a picture of the parts depart..If I can locate it, it'll get posted.
This input is just for the purpose of sharing knowledge.

BTW, I completely agree with your intentions abt " creating memories" for the future~ Your kids are indeed very lucky~!!!
ciao
Old 10-08-2002, 09:12 AM   #18
hex

Question Prices please

Inland-Andy wrote:
Quote:
Depends on what you want to do. A complete shell and/or a naked chassis are not cheap either.
End shells are not cheap, nor is a complete entrance door assembly.
Those are all individual parts that carry a part number.
So how much are end shells? Is this the exterior shell?
How much is a entry door (minus screen door and minus the $546. lockset) for a 74 Excella?
Are all doors the same?
Are these New Old Stock?

thanks,
Old 10-08-2002, 01:38 PM   #19
overlander

reply to 53flyingcloud(parts department)

trying not to affend anyone

O.K. tell me if i'm wrong here? from what i got air stream doesn't have say for instance a warehouse for there parts? or are they selling there parts from the bays? wich is it?..... they have been useing shop bays for parts?...haveing parts in the shop is that a mess?......and for three years! why havn't they Put up a building? having parts available and having a building to store them in is kind of a neccesity isn't it? three years seems like a long time to me.....does airstream move very many parts?..........are they not doing to well......a company that makes the rolls royce of trailers should have a real parts department.
so if they wern't useing shop bays does that mean you wouldn't be able to get parts at all? and does this explain the pricey parts?

how many trailers does air stream sell in a year? are they a large company.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #20
hex

Arrow

First to Overlander I feel your pain. Altho I have yet to actually buy my Excella 31', it is for all practical purposes a done deal.
Deposit made (refundable) and arrangements in progress to go get it.
I have never seen it except in photos.
This thread as much as any other has given me my most compelling reservation to NOT buy the Damn thing.
I WILL NOT EVER pay 500 bux for a door handle (unless I have pre-sold it...'Cash in Advance' for 600 bux).

I have been "poor-boyin" it for most of my life. The Jones' ran off and left me long ago...I couldn't keep up! I considered it all a rat race and the rats always seemed to be winning.
Turns out I have enjoyed much of my new found time on the 'sidelines' albeit Jonesless.

If I buy and oneday pull into a RV-Park and am ignored/ostracized by fellow Airstreamers because I have a 75 dollar Schlage doorknob, then I hope I'll just turn the other cheek and be civil anyway. I'll just assume that all that runnin with the rats raised their blue-blood pressure and deformed their blue-noses upward. I'll be content knowing their Blackwater-Tanks smell just like mine, even if they are convinced that their aroma is the 'sweet smell of success'.
Anyway Overlander I'd be proud to park next to you anytime. We could down a few ice cold Blue Ribbons and look down on all that "trash" in them "white-trailers" and 'up' to all those Wallyites that wouldn't join us in a toast.

As for Inland-Andy...I am VERY glad that he participates in the various Airstream Forums.I am not sure that he does not occasionally overstate something, but he has license to err on the side of caution, due to liability issues. He also apparently has more hands-on knowledge than most or any of us.
I do wish there was another dealer or two who did the same as Inland-Andy on the various lists, just for comparison's sake. . Sometimes I wish there was more to life than marketing. But it does make the world go round!

Now as for his markup and pricing... that is entirely his business and I defend his right do as he pleases. We obviously don't owe him our business just because he posts here. But all things being equal I would go with him because of his involvement. I hope we never find him or any other participating vendor to be misleading us.
However I reserve and encourage the option of discussing pros & cons of advice given by, or service problems and irregularities or 'shipping and handling' ploys of ANY vendor.

....yup the price of my 'pride' is a shade shy of $500 bux for a door handle.
Old 10-08-2002, 02:56 PM   #21
overlander

cheers!

that is exactly what i was thinking!

When i bought my air stream i didn't know i was joining the few..... the proud..... and the elite....i want nothing to do with that......I can't believe some people........As for andy i think he is a know it all and i don't apreciate his attitude.....and i will take my money else where...Andy can charge what evr he wants to......there are others out there that have parts I can give you a number for another dealership if you would like......

The Proud and elete can pay there 500 bucks.......I will not cowboy up.

I think texans and alaskans have alot in comman.

I'll take you up on that toaste!

Old 10-08-2002, 03:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Ref:Parts

OVERLANDER,
I never said they did or didn't have a "warehouse" for parts. I said the parts department is in approx 5 or 6 bays of which, I should have qualified futher. This parts department is tied to the A/S store and, not to the manufacturing process. There the inventory of parts is quite another story in itself~!! It's under this one huge roof that, all of the parts are consumed in the building of new TT and MH.~ You might like to stop by oneday and, take a tour~ It is well worth the time. "IT'S FREE~!!
Anything else, I stand by my original statement~!
ciao
Old 10-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have had the necessity to purchase a complete lockset from Inland many moons ago for our 77 Airstream. I was not happy about the price, I bought it anyway, but then we all want it for as little as possible.

As an example I needed to replace the coolant overflow bottle on my 95 Camry and was told that it was $140.00 dollars for a plastic bottle. I know that blow molding this bottle cannot cost more than $5.00 but that is the price from the dealer and there is no "bone yard" part available.

Some of it is supply and demand; other factors to consider are the changes in design, and what is expected on a travel trailer. Today many of the door locks are very much like the locks on the airstreams going back to the late 60's. SOB Trailers of that vintage had a more traditional door knob. So Airstream set a trend. As the lock evolved, it changed, and the production runs were small. Now almost all of the travel trailers use the same type lock and they are a lot cheaper. Unfortunately this is a cost of owning a classic.

Andy had the foresight and the capital to buy up many of the old parts when Airstream was going to dump them and now we have access to them. He has also invested in things like the locks that are no longer in production. The price may not be what we want, but it is better than not having any option at all. No one that I know of in the club or otherwise would turn up their nose at a $25.00 home lockset installed on your trailer, to each their own, everyone has a budget, and you need to do what is acceptable to you.

I know I am being long winded, but I guess I am trying to say that there are some big ticket items on a classic. You will need to decide how important they are to the ownership experience. The lockset, skins, and windows are the most extreme examples. Almost everything else is a standard parts bin product.

I know that we all differ in our opinions on parts and prices, and this is not necessarily a defense of Andy, but we are a capitalistic society. It makes our country great. Andy took the risk that he was going to be stuck with a warehouse of un-saleable parts and now he should make a buck on his efforts. There are other dealers out there that can get parts that are still used in current production. But for those hard to locate parts there will always be a premium price attached, no matter what the industry or hobby.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 10-08-2002, 03:26 PM   #24
overlander

53flyingcloud

thanks for the clear up!

I think taking a tour would be very interesting

Old 10-08-2002, 03:42 PM   #25
overlander

thenewkid64

there are junk yards wich have car parts i went to one by seattle last winter and they were huge! parts are avaliable.......brand spankin new veichals there are less of in junk yards so it would make it harder to get parts easaly that are used and cheaper.If your vehical was new it should of been under warrenty if it's a little older best bet is if you didn't want to pay you could shop around......there are lot's of alternitive parts for automobiles. car quest/ napa/ shucks has lots of reproduction parts maybe yours was dealer only i don't now.....that is a bummer but if that plastic bottle had Airstream writen on it instead of toyota, it might have cost considerable more. Air Stream is not in the same catigory for parts as most automobiles wich probable explains the high prices..........capitalist society and all do you think that makes it right? to charge so much? I feal that some of the A/S parts carry more than a premium price take more like extravagant.

Old 10-08-2002, 04:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Hey Overlander-

There is a choice. I have a 74 motor home. Measure yours, then go here. Search for H166. It was larger than the opening for the old lock in my door, but thin enough to fit within the door.

I did have to work on the door frame. It had to have 4 holes drilled (2 countersunk) for the mounting screws. The strike was too thick, I made a new one out of stainless, gives my elite Argosy some class. If you are fairly mechanical it is not bad. If not I know you could get it done and still save big $. Hey it's not a restoration, it is a repair. Some of us are into that.

John
Old 10-08-2002, 05:03 PM   #27
overlander

that looks good........i like the repair........do you know if your old latch was a KT? I will go measure my latch...thanks nice pictures.

Old 10-08-2002, 05:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I don't know the brand. When I got the mh, the key was nearly smooth. The PO said don't worry about losing it, anything will open the lock. Figured that had to go and found the one at Camper's Choice. If it helps the old opening in the outer skin is 3 13/32 x 4 5/8.

If you don't want to bother with the safety compliant version (the one in there now isn't) you will only have to drill and countersink 2 small holes to hold the lock to the frame, that much easier to install.

John