Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
What is the Least Desirable AS Item Purchased

We have the "What did you get for your Airstream today" thread that clearly has been very successful and has certainly caused many of us to purchase additional items for our AS.

So I was wondering what one would list as the least desirable items one has purchased over the years for your AS.

One of the items for me is the tire monitoring system. The caps sit in my well and just role around.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
For me, it was the supports for my sewage hose. Evidently, they are supposed to provide a gradual incline for the sewage to drain down, but I have never bothered to figure them out, and they just sit in my rear compartment that holds dirty stuff. This reminds me that I should throw them out. My understanding is that in my Airstream, it is not desirable to constantly drain the tanks, so I wait until they need to be drained and then drain them all at once. If there is any stuff left in the hose, I just pick up the end nearest the trailer and work my way toward the dump station. It all eventually ends up in the right place.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 06-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My current weight distribution system, due to personal injury caused by design and my lack of PM it scares the hell out me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The spray cans full of "plasticoat". Poor coverage, looks dull when dry.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
My driveway. This implies non-use!!!!

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
A bottle jack for flat tire change. With two axles it's easier to just drive one wheel up on blocks to lift the other wheel. Well, I suppose it could come in handy if I had two flat tires on one side...but then I only have one spare anyway!
Old 06-05-2015, 03:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

A replacement valve for the black tank outlet. It means I have a very bad day ahead.
Nick.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Filiform Corrosion.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
A replacement valve for the black tank outlet. It means I have a very bad day ahead.
Nick.
Or when you pull the handle to dump the tank and it comes out in your hand like a parachute ripcord... Only the valve remains closed.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
The 2006 Ford F-250 with the 6.0L diesel. We took a bath on trade in, but it was worth it to get out from under it. That thing was one problem after another. Our payments for the Ram each year is actually the same amount we were putting in to the Ford (payments + repairs). Muuuuuuuuuch happier now.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Or when you pull the handle to dump the tank and it comes out in your hand like a parachute ripcord... Only the valve remains closed.
Good one - I have always been paranoid about that happening! Has it actually happened to you?

I would like to have some sort of a plan in mind just in case it ever does happen and I don't really know the best way to deal with it.

All I can think of is to see if one of the septic tank pumping people could remove the bulk of the black tank contents by accessing through the toilet.

I would then probably cut an access hatch in the belly pan to access and remove the defective valve - expecting that I would still have maybe 5% of the tank contents still draining out all over the place as I do that.

Not fun, but at least we only pee in the AS toilet!

Sure hope it never happens. I throw some cheap veg. cooking oil down the toilet now and then hoping it will keep the black tank valve slide lubricated and so reduce the chances of the operating rod pulling out of the slide!

Anyone have any experience in dealing with a stuck valve? I would really be interested in knowing if there any tricks and a maybe a better way to resolve the situation!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Anyone have any experience in dealing with a stuck valve? I would really be interested in knowing if there any tricks and a maybe a better way to resolve the situation! Brian.
In hard water areas, where, for example, your kettle furs up with calcium deposits, the valve slider can become coated, and eventually too thick to move. A regular treatment with a gallon of hydrochloric acid (aka muriatic acid at your hardware store) in the dilution recommended in the Airstream Manual works for me. I leave it overnight, as the only contents of the black tank.
Nick.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TPMS, bottle jack, and Trailer-Aid before Michelin LTX tires, two w.d. hitches before our ProPride, Honda 2000i instead of increasing solar/battery capacity. It costs much less to buy quality and versatility in the first place.

Too many dishes, too much cookware, too many food items, too many clothes, too many camper gadgets, anything that all take up space and weight and seldom if ever used.

cheryl
Old 06-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I bought a Camco CXR90 filter. It filters better than most filters on the market and had a cleanable element. I thought it would be pretty economical, especially at campgrounds where water supplies have suspended sediment in them. The major problem with this filter is the fact that the case that the filter fits into is fragile on the threads that screw into the water supply. I have broken two cases and with the cost of these filters $60+, there truly is no savings even though the filter component can be cleaned. I noticed that these are not being sold anymore and others have complained about the case being fragile. If you are considering one that may show up on eBay or some Internet source, stay away. The filter elements are still being sold however. Here's a link to what they look like. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40651-Ce...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote