Old 06-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Good one - I have always been paranoid about that happening! Has it actually happened to you?

I would like to have some sort of a plan in mind just in case it ever does happen and I don't really know the best way to deal with it.

All I can think of is to see if one of the septic tank pumping people could remove the bulk of the black tank contents by accessing through the toilet.

I would then probably cut an access hatch in the belly pan to access and remove the defective valve - expecting that I would still have maybe 5% of the tank contents still draining out all over the place as I do that.

Not fun, but at least we only pee in the AS toilet!

Sure hope it never happens. I throw some cheap veg. cooking oil down the toilet now and then hoping it will keep the black tank valve slide lubricated and so reduce the chances of the operating rod pulling out of the slide!

Anyone have any experience in dealing with a stuck valve? I would really be interested in knowing if there any tricks and a maybe a better way to resolve the situation!

Brian.

This actually happened with our AS the first time I went to test dump (with just clean water in the tanks). I pulled the valve handle and it just kept coming! Ha! There it was in my hand connected to.....nothing!

I brought the AS to the dealer and felt silly with how simple the fix was (Uhhhhhh, I could have done that). The Service Manager used a needle-nosed pliers, reached in through the black rubber membrane cover, and pulled out the valve stem just a bit. He reattached the valve handle to the valve stem with a cotter pin, clipped the cotter pin ends, cut a small slit in the black rubber membrane to allow the cotter pin to move in and out, and voila!

Old 06-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A little gadget that is supposed to hold the refrigerator door open during storage-
Just doesn't work-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
The 6' x 9' outdoor rug and two sets of lights that are supposed to hang off of the awning when it is deployed.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
This actually happened with our AS the first time I went to test dump (with just clean water in the tanks). I pulled the valve handle and it just kept coming! Ha! There it was in my hand connected to.....nothing!

I brought the AS to the dealer and felt silly with how simple the fix was (Uhhhhhh, I could have done that). The Service Manager used a needle-nosed pliers, reached in through the black rubber membrane cover, and pulled out the valve stem just a bit. He reattached the valve handle to the valve stem with a cotter pin, clipped the cotter pin ends, cut a small slit in the black rubber membrane to allow the cotter pin to move in and out, and voila!
Hmmm.

Maybe I am not clear on how these valves are made.

Also, no doubt the operating rod arrangement differs on different model trailers.

I wouldn't have a problem dealing with the situation if something in the rod linkage broke and there was something I could get hold of with pliers to open the slide.

But I am assuming what can happen is that what you call the "stem" of the valve breaks loose from the valve slide leaving nothing to get hold of to pull the slide.

Maybe if this ever happens, there might be a way to cut away part of the plastic housing on the valve (without causing a leak) just enough to grab the blade with vise grips and pull it open to drain the tank prior to unbolting the whole valve assembly.

Hope I never have to find out, but I think that is something I would be looking to try!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Chairs

Airstream chairs are overpriced on top of that they are not comfortable.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
The airstream chairs are overpriced and on top of that they are not comfortable. We did not buy them.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote