Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
im here! Now, with lots of experience! Yeah enough about TVs and hitch's
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
and then there are members in our club who just purchased a 30' and towing with a Honda Pilot....That should get something going

Oh! I forgot this thread is about vintage absentees

JCW
Never have seen a Pilot towing a 30, vintage or otherwise, but see plenty of 1/2 tons towing 30's, new and vintage...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
In the early days we had free beer on Thursdays and donuts in the chat room.

Now those are gone too.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
This lack of interest has more to do with the... age and experiences of those interested in 'vintage', anything. Airstreams included.

We find our interests towards what we could not afford when young and today can afford, spending time to restore. The younger crowd do not have this interest, nor skills needed to even attempt to restore a trailer, none the less repair the hot water tank in their home.

This is not an ALL, but the majority of people have no interest in camping, trailers or what cannot down loaded onto their phones or computers.

I find that the majority of interests I had in my long gone youth has very little interest today. I collected a long list of things that were popular to me from the age of 10 to 45, that today has NO interest.

Why? Because there is less interest among those who are younger. Automobiles are a great example, but this also extends into vintage trailers, jukeboxes, slot machines, coin collecting, rock & mineral collecting, books... and so on and on.

A 'vintage automobile' can be a 1985 model today.

Since I have always been in business buying and selling various large and small items, today some things you cannot give away that had a high value twenty years ago. Trailers are no exception. Most younger people today cannot change a flat tire and restoring or repairing a trailer exceeds their experiences.

I take to the City Landfill more books each week than some small libraries have on their shelves. Hundreds of technical geological science books that can be downloaded to a computer for FREE, today. , School and university libraries have rooms of computers to do research, and fewer current books on the shelf that are out of date once printed.

Digital, Print on Demand, DVD and in house computers take up less space than books and are much cheaper to update and cater to those who grew up with these 'advances' in technology.

I recall as a seven year old dreaming of owning a pedal car of my own. Today there are piles of them with no one interested here in Boulder City, Nevada. Cap pistols... out with BB guns. The list is long. Our Culture is changing and some of us have noticed.
I want a peddle car! I remember when my youngest son put a motor on his and zipped around our street! I have great pics stored on cloud. He is 24 years old now, he was 12 or 13 then. I just wanted to stop and give you all hope, I raised 4 adults to be fixers and jury riggers of almost anything!

So if you think younger generations are all buyers of things new, take heart, only those with lots of disposable income are like that. Those kids who were poor and raised by parents who taught them that they could fix or build and create anything they wanted to, are still around.

My oldest son buys old jeeps, fixes them up and flips them. My second son has a wood workshop and sells on Etsy AND is currently rebuilding a car. My daughter and her husband both weld, and she sews and crafts. My youngest fixes and builds bikes. I can honestly say that I am grateful that we were too poor to buy all the bells and whistles their friends had. Being raised financially strapped as children made for creative and grateful adults
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Columbus , Mississippi
Thumbs up A great appreciation to you all

Hello all.. I am and have been, DIY guy all my life. I follow your posts and comments....and arguments every day. I am about 96% finished restoring a 1976 Argosy that I bought 20 years ago...lived in it 3 years...bought a house and relegated it to the back yard as a storage unit. Two years ago I began renovating my old Argosy. Had it not been for all of you posting your expertise...posting your pictures .. and, yes, even your arguments (which sometimes I could identify with both sides), I would have not been able to even attempt what I have been able to do. I have only made a few posts over this time because I much prefer to 'listen' rather that talk. I know that some of you think that nobody's listening....wrong... I have used countless ideas that I have read here. Sadly I haven't taken many pictures...wish I had. Keep the input up. There are still those of us who are "here".
Back40Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
Petsul

Did you get your trailer? I have a 1969 Sovereign 31 ft.
New to me as well. What does yours need?
jbknowso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
In the early days we had free beer on Thursdays and donuts in the chat room.

Now those are gone too.

Now it’s wine and cheese with a $50 cover. Bahahaha
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rhinos View Post
Airforums used to be a great resource for DIY'ers working on vintage trailers, but it seems like there are more post on pinterest and blogs than airforums these days....just saying!

Also, I’m down in Houston, shout if you ever need a wrenching hand!
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
I just purchased a 69 Sovereign 3 months ago. I'm slowly doing repairs and have enjoyed all the knowledge this site has to offer.

JBKNOWSO
Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Behold the Pedal car, and a child who creates, builds, and jury rigs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	474.6 KB
ID:	296236  
Attached Files
Old 10-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #51
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I took a look at the stats and the activity on the forums continues very strong & consistent. Posting volumes are very close year over year but the number of new discussions started is up.

I met with some members on Monday who stopped by to take a look at my 1959 Tradewind restoration. They had rave reviews of the forums saying they check in daily and have found a wealth of knowledge here. I don't think they post though as most topics have been covered and some people just use the search to get answers instantly instead of asking again and waiting for replies.

We should all be proud of the knowledge that has been collectively contributed to the forums. It's an amazing resource to tens of thousands of Airstream owners (only took us 15 years)!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Interesting thread... and I agree. I have been on here for over 15 years now and on my second Vintage Airstream renovation. I still peruse the threads in the hopes of seeing what others have done to their trailers, but am also a bit tired of the same threads over and over again. Still, it is an amazing knowledge base for those just getting in to a Vintage trailer and owners of new Airstreams trying to figure out what they are doing. If only newbies would use the search function, it would cut down on a lot of the repetition. It is what it is and I will always be addicted to aluminum.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
New in the neighborhood, and have been learning plenty so far from the threads. Check daily! Haven't been around long enough to hear everything over & over...

We have a '59 Tradewind also, and enjoy hearing how others are doing with their projects. Coming soon to our driveway is an '18 FC that we're picking up next week.

We traveled five months this year in the '59 and really enjoyed seeing the big ol' USofA. Going to sell it, though, and spend all our time next year in the FC.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What happened to all the vintage trailer people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Never have seen a Pilot towing a 30, vintage or otherwise, but see plenty of 1/2 tons towing 30's, new and vintage...

I have towed my heavier than stock Hensley equipped 31’ with two half ton Silverados and a Tahoe, they all three worked great. About 1500 miles in the last three days even. I have absolutely no desire to own a 3/4 ton or a one ton TV, NONE. (For those who like these bigger TVs, that is more than cool, just not for me)

That aside, I will revert to my first post to this thread, some vintage folks wont want to pay a supporting membership to share how-to pictures... That said, I would support if another payment option apart from PayPal was available.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I have been refining my 73, staying busy with that, work, family, and I cant post pictures since letting my supporting member status lapse.

FWIW, I wont use PayPal anymore, and that is the only available payment option, so I can’t upgrade....

I think that limitation is kind of a bad move by forum administration.... just my take though.
I renew my Supporting Membership yearly without having a PayPal account.

AirForums' Janet H (Site Team) explains it this way: "Paypal is the only method available but you can use paypal without an account. They can simply process your credit card like any other merchant."

CanoeStream explains it also: "You don't have to sign up for Paypal if you fill in the 'Don't have a Paypal account?' section. That will be handled as an electronic transaction exactly the same as ordering from Amazon, etc. Your AIRForums stickers will be mailed to the address you enter on the Paypal page."

(And you don't have to sign up for PayPal later!)

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakinup View Post
Interesting thread... and I agree. I have been on here for over 15 years now and on my second Vintage Airstream renovation. I still peruse the threads in the hopes of seeing what others have done to their trailers, but am also a bit tired of the same threads over and over again. Still, it is an amazing knowledge base for those just getting in to a Vintage trailer and owners of new Airstreams trying to figure out what they are doing. If only newbies would use the search function, it would cut down on a lot of the repetition. It is what it is and I will always be addicted to aluminum.
When Morelach and I were newbies, we quickly learned the Airforum search was fairly useless, but if you google what you are looking for, it WILL send you to the thread you need in here.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I had to sue Paypal several years ago over their illegal practices and theft of funds. I won and no longer will do any busines with them. I do not trust them to handle my money in any fashion at all, account or no account. I used to have a paid membership here and would still if there was an alternative to paypal.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:34 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Rockton , Illinois
I don't like pay pal either. They keep saying I owe them money. Never use them again
Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We vintage people can be a strong minded lot. Screw us once.... we remember...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Behold the Pedal car, and a child who creates, builds, and jury rigs.

At a 16, attending High School in 1966, driving a 1956 VW and working evenings and some weekends to pay off the $300, money was tight.

It was a bit embarrassing to ask my date on the weekend to give the VW a push downhill to jump start the VW, while saving up to replace the six volt battery.

I knew my wife was a perfect match, when she climbed under the hood of her pickup truck, checked the oil and added a quart. Sometimes we find the worst of times were the our best of times.

Those of you who dedicate hours and hours restoring or just getting into working order your vintage airstream... you are among friends. The dirt under those finger nails is something to be proud, not embarrassment.

... and, could you give me a push?