Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #71
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by susangenz View Post
There are plenty of people that are interested in vintage. Younger people are busy building careers and raising families.
Our kids are almost raised and we have more time and cash to enjoy this pricey hobby. We have found countless posts on the forum that have guided us in learning everything Airstream, it makes renovation of one of these beauties a lot easier.
My husband and I have very much enjoy restoring and camping in our Excella.
We will soon have a 1985 Airstream 345, this is definitely an addiction and we are loving every minute of it.
There's a time for everything, everything changes. That is what makes life interesting.
Hi

If you dig around here and there, a number of "kids" are converting Airstreams into permanent houses. From the look of most of them, they aren't taking them on the road. It's a fixed location forever conversion. Still vintage, and still very much aluminum ....

Bob

Old 10-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
My trailer and I are the same age, both circa 1973. Amongst most rv`ers myself and family are young in comparison. When compared to most Airstream owners we are VERY young. Our trailer has been our main mode of family vacations for the last 15 years and will be the vessel the wife and I use to enjoy our golden years.

My trailer didn't cost 100k but I have already gotten well more than 100k of enjoyment and memories from it. So many young families have no clue of the enjoyment an rv can provide because they have never been exposed to camping or traveling with your own private clean lavatory in tow.

When I first purchased our argosy 17 years ago, it was for a lodge at my hunting camp. The more I slept in her over that first year the more I fell in love with her. By the end of year two we upgrading this or repairing that. Since year two we have put 5 to 10000 miles on our trailer per year and have made some great memories and had a lot of fun. Without the trailer I could not have afforded many of the destinations we have visited.

As a fairly young couple we do wish more young folks were into camping. We don't care if someone is camping in unrestored vintage, restored vintage, brand new 100k AS, or sob the point is we need more young people involved in rv camping. Much like hunting and fishing the more young people that are exposed to rv`ing the more we as a group can insure that rv`ing will stay a great American past time for generations to come.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #73
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm sitting here (in the rain) looking out over the campground. The place is thick with kids. They don't seem to mind the rain at all I'll admit, there are not a lot of Airstream's here. We aren't the only one though. Parks with a lot of kid friendly beaches / play grounds / bike trails / stores / activities seem to attract "young" families ... who wold have guessed that? A lot of the other places we go are not quite as kid centric. The average age changes as a result ....

I've spent a lot of decades looking around campgrounds. I don't think the average age of the typical AS owner has changed a lot in at least the last 40 years or so. I could not have afforded a new one back then (in my 20's). I also was more focused on "hop in it and go camping" than taking on a big project. There simply was no place to do the work on a trailer back then. Living in an apartment / starter home *does* have it's limitations

Bob
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
FWIW, There were lots of kids in the little 30 space park in Bisbee this weekend.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hey, we have a 2 yr old and a 1yr old. And a “vintage” and “new” trailer. Airstreams are not only for those with silver hair.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:10 AM   #76
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CT View Post
Hey, we have a 2 yr old and a 1yr old. And a “vintage” and “new” trailer. Airstreams are not only for those with silver hair.
Hi

We most certainly have run into a number of other AS addicts with kids in tow. I did not mean to imply it's a "never happens" sort of thing. My only point is that the idea of the AS crowd getting older (on average) probably is not a good assumption.

Bob