Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
What does Airstream mean to you?

I was emailing with the gentleman who is working with Airstream, Inc on the survey that they are doing and I suggested that it could be fun and informative to give everyone an open ended question to just free write your thoughts on "what Airstream means to you".

So in this thread please post "what Airstream means to you". This can be a list of words, paragraphs of text, etc. Please be as descriptive as possible and including feelings you get, actions you take, etc.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Andy, Great idea.

The words I think of are:

Cool, Iconic, Americana, Retro, Vintage
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
money pit

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Freedom To Travel

American Icon

Warm And Fuzzy Symbol Of A Simpler Past
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
money pit
Large...I thought about trading for a boat!

Honestly, the word is synonymous with American, specifically U.S. American.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Freedom
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Being VERY new to 'streaming, there is much for my wife and I to learn. We look forward to spending hours, days, weeks and months seeing this great country in our new TT. As I view the various posts to the various threads, I am struck by the references to COST of operating/upkeep of each A/S. Having come to trailering from boating, I would be happy to attest to the fact that boating is EXPENSIVE. Slip charges, winter haul-out, winterizing, upkeep, insurance, and fuel. Think how much your fuel bill would run when you put 26-27 gallons of fuel through your boat EVERY hour and you're on an 8-10 hour cruise going up Lake Huron. Overnight charges are also significantly more than your A/S costs to spend a night plugged in. I can't think of anything that costs less on a boat than on a trailer. The same nut or bolt on a boat must be stainless to avoid the rust problem, so the cost goes up 8-10 fold. So, to those of you that are thinking of giving up trailering in favor of boating, make sure you count your spendable cash cause it takes a lot of it! We did it for three years, three of the happiest years of our lives, but it is expensive - or as Mr. Vanderbuilt said when asked how much it cost, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

See you on the road...........
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Amen to that Pilgrim!! My brother has a boat and I laugh at him every time we compare the difference in upkeep expenses. The only time he laughs back at me is when I register a new unit{4 times}. I have to pay sales tax and yearly property tax. In RI boats are exempt from both!!! He also alot more "spendable" cash! Who's laughing now? Ouch
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
While I like "money pit", it's a money pit I don't mind filling (at least it doesn't irk me as much as my NJ property taxes).

Iconic, freedom, uber cool, warm and cozy all come to mind. If my Base Camp leaks on me again (it just got back from being fixed again), I'll add frustrating and infuriating to the list, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. For my Argosy, add "challenging" because of the resto we're doing, but it's a labor of love so it's a GOOD challenge...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Unlimited opportunities.....Travel..... Lasted 27 years and still going strong.....Incredibly good looking...FUN
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #11
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Airstream

Cost too much.
Bad Warranty.
Leaks alot.
Poorly built.
Lack of quality control.
"What do you exspect there made by humans".
"Your (customer service too customer) a lier, Our dealers wouldn't lie"
Old is better.
If you want it done right, do it your self.
Never again, Teton soon.
I could go on, but everyone here knows what a junker lemon I have, if not read "And the fun never stops" also check out the photos from the Beverly Beach Run.

Gunny
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Freedon, adventure, exploration, comraderie.

We hook up the trailer and we're gone! Sometimes its a Forums rally and some times its boondocking in a familiar area. Then there's those adventures where we don't know where were going when we pull away from the house.

Time in our Airstream is not real life time. It's surreal time a kind of a bonus that does not count towards your allotted time on Earth.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Thanks for the opportunity Andy.

The Airstream for us (Donna and I) has always meant a class act. Quality - how many 50+ year old trailers, let alone 20 year old trailers, do you see still in use - a few over a broad spectrum of manufacturers, but only Airstream has significant quantities.

We remember them as kids, seeing the stories in magazines about how they were used to travel the world. We wanted that same feeling and ability to travel where ever we wanted, when we wanted, with all the conveniences we are used to, and without the dependency and shortcomings of hotels and restaurants.

We lusted after an Airstream for years, looking for just the right one. We found it, although we had wanted a 1957 Safari to match our 1957 Pontiac Safari wagon, we lucked out and found a 1951 Flying Cloud that suits our needs perfectly.

Yes, we will buy a new or newer one eventually that we will tow behind our truck, but the Flying Cloud has found a permanent home with us for as long as we are able to drive the car and tow the trailer.

We also feel that Airstream as a manufacturer has not abandoned the vintage owners of their product. I read constantly on this forum of folks who take their trailers, many decades old, back to the factory for various levels of refurbishment. They are treated with respect and their trailers are treated extremely well. There are few if any SOB manufacturers who are willing or even able to provide this highly prized level of support for their older trailers which is one reason so many of them are parted out after not that many years.

So, for us, Airstream means freedom to do as we please, to travel to places we've always wanted to see in relative comfort, and the security of having a quality built, highly visible and iconic piece of America's history.

I cannot think of another travel trailer made that has people waving and taking pictures as it goes down the road, or gather around it for pictures in gas stations and at RV parks, and when international tourists come along they are not shy about asking for a tour, about taking pictures of themselves with the trailer, and commenting on the fact that to them the Airstream is a symbol of Americana that has never diminished over all the years they've been made. How many other vintage trailers are used in TV commercials, rock videos, movies, and considered art ?

The best part of this is that our friends also have realized the uniqueness and value that an Airstream provides and have also acquired one (the twin to ours, actually) and others of our group are starting to show interest. We all know that once you've bought a used Airstream and realize how well built they are that you are very much predisposed to purchasing a new one when you decide you want the latest and greatest. That should warm the hearts of those at Airstream.

Barry
Old 10-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Three month winters in Arizona
one month travel to the east coast for annual visits to family in SC, NC and PA. All in our very own bed and bath!

Oh yes, WBCCI caravans....
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
This is one of those subjects that makes me wish I had paid attention in literature and english classes 50 years ago. Everytime I try to express feeling about things like this the words just don't come like I feel inside. I suppose to me Airstreams are not altogether about what they are, but at least as much about what they represent. There was a time of innocence in our country, a time when change came slowly, we waited for what we wanted, a time when a handshake represented your honor and trust, family and friends ment more then the lastest new thing we can purchase on a credit card that will never be paid off. Men had ideas, formed them with their hands, muscle and blood, some never sucseeded, some for a while,but few found a place in time long enough become an icon. I suppose the answer to the original question "what does Airstream mean to you" is wrapped up in all this. Is Airstream the best? I really don't care. Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Windsor , Ontario
Group :

I don't post messages often...but this thread is very close to my heart so here goes...

We have a 36ft Beneteau sailboat and a 97/25ft Safari at present & we will be trading up to both a 43ft Beneteau & a Classic 31.

Anyway...as to the question...

"What does Airstream mean to you" ??

Freedom...the ability to go to someplace else & to sample what life is like there...for a while.

Someday, we hope go to Vegas (the KOA @ Circus) for a month, to see Yellowstone, go down the Baha, have eggrolls in China'town, go to Fisherman's Warf in S/F...she really wants to shop on Rodeo Dr & we both want to toodle around Texas & see if we can find some good ribs...etc, etc...

However...all that (Airstreaming) will happen for us AFTER...we go cruising with the boat from the Great Lakes out to the east coast, south to Florida, the Keys, over to the Bahamas & (if I can talk her into it) perhaps down island to the Caribbean.

In short, we'll be cruising with the boat until we get tired of it (that's going to take a while) & then Airstreaming from that point on until we have to stop travelling & will want to stay put & enjoy Canadian winters (ya right).

As to Pilgm's comments about (which to be fair I trust were of power not sail) boating vs streaming...two words my friend...

Anchoring...& Bahamas !!

Ya just can't park an Airstream in "some" places !!
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #17
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Wonderful getaways in a cool and quality travel trailer. Satisfying weekends at home enjoying maintenance.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Right now Airstream means "dreams waiting to happen." A few more weeks until dreams come true
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Airstream

An American Icon. (Hopefully still American made.)

Freedom to travel in style and comfort. Where vintage and new meld nicely. To silently know you could give "raspberries" to the big ostentatious MoHo's...

Wonderful community of people. Forum rallies and friends. A good place to meet good folks and have a great time. A place to mix the young and old and be accepted for who you are!

See the sights, enjoy the ride!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Airstream:

An American Icon, with timeless design, and unsurpassed durability.

A vacation home (almost always) exactly where you want to vacation.

A guest house on wheels when you want to visit relatives (but not live with them).

A great community of friends: online, on the road, or at the campground.

A legacy to pass on to the children, along with a lifetime of priceless memories made while traveling with our Airstream.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote