Old 08-26-2006, 04:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We exercise a similar ban-video games are usually for occasional play on the road trip when they are sick to death of the prairie or pine forest or for just before bed, before a read. These games are part of their world that we don't relate to at all, but we try to keep that short-range vision thumb jumbling to a minimum without totally cutting them off of their own brand of fun

1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I play UNO, with my grandson when he comes over in the Safari, while it's parked, and when we go camping at Lake Almanor. I read my nature reference books about the different trees, birds, insects that are in the area where we go camping.

codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
My son has a peculiar choice in children's video games. I confess I had to leave the room (in my son's home) as my 2 six year old twin grandsons were visibly delighted to torch street people. What the heck was wrong with pacman and burgertime anyway?

I carry several cartoon movies just for ourselves but with a view to sharing with any of the younger set we might encounter. Entertaining as I try to be, sometimes I just plain fail.

Uno's a fun game. Looks like Emma Luhr from Tour of America is a master of it.

I picked up a nature trivia game. Maybe I will use that for my own "flash cards" and education! We got it from Glacier Park.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' International CCD
Eugene , Oregon
I know it's not quite what you ment, by I usually bring along my french horn and "play" it in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5899.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	25230  
Kintscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
I don't think I've found any time to read in the Bambi since we've had it. But we like to listen to books-on-CD in the car on a long trip and we never get tired of Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country and A Walk in the Woods. We have a copy of Newcomb's Wildflower Guide and Sibley's Guide to North American Birds on hand, and some reference books for finding good family hikes in New England. I always have a pack of sketchbooks, pencils, and mini-watercolor set handy on the rare occasion that I get quiet time.

The kids like card games in the trailer - crazy eights, rummy, etc. Other games we travel with include Cadoo, Apples-to-Apples, Scrabble, and we just got TransAmerica, which we like a lot. We're also learning Go, but we haven't taken it on the road yet.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Kintscher, too cool! In my next life, I'm going to play the bass viol, mandolin, piano, and sing without squawking, I hope.

Carol, (". . .I picked up a nature trivia game. Maybe I will use that for my own "flash cards" and education! We got it from Glacier Park." ) I like this game to have along with us in the AS. I think I'll look for something similar if we get to some national parks or monuments this summer. Thanks for the idea! ~G
1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #21
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I love my books...

but unfortunately taking them on the road would probably overload my Airstream I seem to run in series, I am currently re-reading RF Delderfield, I have a couple of CS Lewis books that ALWAYS travel with me. It is about time to revist James Herriot. There are always back issues of Analog to catch up on. We have several game sets available, including chess, checkers and backgamon. And like some others I always pickup a few of the local specials. Other than my laptop, Airstream Forums and a cycling forum I steer clear of electronic entertainment. Need to find room in my custom interior for the handcranked Victrola

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #22
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Aaron,

No contest compared to a Victrola, but I did just find a 50's RCA Victor ("His Master's Voice") single-tube 45-rpm record player/changer in the barn today. I plugged it in, and it's pure 60-cycle noise, but LOUD noise. I think I can change out the capacitors and have a cool "history of rock" conservation piece. (I found a stack of records, still in their sleeves, too.)

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Fun Topic

On our last long trip, I grabbed David McCullough's 1776 (for me) and John Adams (for Tim)...American History never gets old!

Since we have kids, our book and game choices are often influenced by their presence. A couple perennial favorites about child rearing that I have taken are: The Parent's Tao Te Ching (Ancient Advice for Modern Parents) and The Blessing of a Skinned Knee (Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children)...both are excellent for people of any faith, or not, for that matter.

Kitchen Confidential, Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain and anything by Ruth Reichl ease my separation from the Food Channel when we are away from home. My repeated giggling even got Tim curious enough to pick up the Bourdain book. He enjoyed it, too!

We usually take these games, Sequence and Apples to Apples...I recently acquired Blokus Trigon , a strategy game, and it seems like a perfect game to play in the Airstream. We have the travel version of Blokus but only two people can play and Trigon is for 1 to four players. Or it is fun to simply make a mosiac-like picture using the game pieces and board. Both my girls spent at least an hour one night last week creating pictures with the thing.

For our youngest, who enjoys *doing her own thing* rather than playing board games, we always take a deck of cards that have 52 pictures of different dog breeds on them...she sorts them a million different suit, by color of dog, by fluffy vs. flat coated dogs, by dogs with upright ears, etc. Not really a game, but her absolute favorite thing to take is a collection of miniature superballs that we have...must be about 20 or more of them. Accumulated them from trips to the dentist, ophthalmologist, gumball machines, etc. It's quite interesting to have them all in motion at once...that started a few years back in the kitchen at home and has somehow carried over to the Airstream.

Hi Yo Silver, Away II?
looking for our next AS
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Carol, I go through a book a week. Joined the library to cut cost. Best book in a long time is "A Land Remembered" by Patrick Smith. A very good read.

You might also like "Light a Distant Fire" Lucia St. Clair Robson. not sure if it's in print but her writing is quite enjoyable. She's done a few others...
Wow Glen, Good choice. I have a signed First Edition of that one.(A Land Remembered) A must read for anyone interested in Fla. Also try the Travis Mcgee series by John Macdonald or if you are really daring try Harry Crews, Gypsie's Curse.

firefly007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #25
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE
2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
We carry the Airstream Life magazines, The Next Exit, and The Unofficial Guide to the Best RV & Tent Campgrounds, as we are always thinking about our next getaway. Ernie the JR commands the rest of our attention!
CaliforniaStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Read and keep it light...

Favorite series are books by Carl Hiaason, who writes for Miami Herald Newspaper and has written about 10 hilarious wacky adventure mysteries about Florida.. Stormy Weather and Double Whammy are classics...

Also enjoyed Jimmy Buffett's books, both autobiographical (A Pirate Looks at 50) and novel (Where is Joe Merchant..)

Game of choice (2 of us..) is Gin Rummy...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master
2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Favorite series are books by Carl Hiaason...
John -- we also enjoy Carl Hiaasen's young readers -- Hoot and Flush. A great writer for all ages!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
My wife, Bert, and I are avid readers. Our tastes include some good stuff (educational, spiritually uplifting, Bible study materials, etc.) and various recreational reading over a wide subject area.

Some of my favorite authors of fiction (and in no particular order) are: Tom Clancy – his earlier four or five books were much better than the later ones (and I don’t like his co-authored paperback stuff at all) – John Grishom, Nevada Barr, Rex Stout, Louis L’Amour, Erle Stanly Gardner, J.A. Jance, Sue Grafton, Clive Cussler, Michael Connely, Nicholas Evans, Chaim Potok, Joel C. Rosenberg, Herman Wouk, and Nicholas Sparks.

My son introduced me to Terry C. Johnston whose historical novels of the post civil war west seem quite accurate. I confess to being stalled out after reading the first three as they are pretty painful reading and since lately I’ve had some pretty painful stuff in my real life I’ve put a pause on Johnston. One reason I like him is also a reason for my current pause; I spent many of my school years in central and northern Wyoming where much of the action happens (Fort Phil Kearny and Fort McKinney were very close to where I went to High School) and my familiarity with the area makes his stories very powerful to me.

A few years ago Bert and I both got caught up in Jan Karon’s, The Mitford Years series. The same thing happened to Karon’s books that seemed to happen with Clancy’s – the later ones didn’t seem to have the quality of the earlier. Popular authors seem to be pressured by their publishers to “crank out” their books (IMHO).

For non-fiction more serious reading we like Max Lucado and Charles Swindoll.

Nearly all our books come from thrift stores or garage sales – I know, I’m cheap!

Bert is an avid jigsaw puzzle person and we always have several in the trailer. I don’t get into that much but we sometimes have guests that help her out. It seems to provoke an atmosphere for good conversation.

I'd hate for you to see the books we carry - waaaay too much weight, but that's us!

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote