Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #29
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
We do open fire cooking as much as possible, I bring wood and the campfire is a big part of my style. Cast Iron DO's & skillets are regulars. Special meals I use my cardboard box oven, anything that needs to be baked it can do it. My convenience go-to's are an old Coleman stove, yup, ya gotta pump it and my Weber Q100.

Gotta kinda add qualifiers, my truck has a good payload capacity so the wood and cast iron are not a problem, we're not on long term camping trips and we're traveling w/o kids so this works for us.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
I cook outside most the time.I have a small folleup alumnum table with my Bar-B-Q and a OLD gas Coleman two burner camp stove.Keeps all the grease out of the trailer.
Note in photo the table at front of trailer just out side the front door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00729.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	226604  

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #31
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Do you bring a gas grill? Do you fry inside or do you bring an outdoor stove? I'm thinking about being along a pressure cooker but am wondering if that will drain my batteries too much if I'm dry camping. Maybe I'm getting too fancy and should keep our meals simple like burgers and sausages. What do you folks eat when you're glamping?
So many cooking threads deteriorate into people posting equipment lists without the rationale or the circumstances that led to those choices. Everyone's situation is different.

We live and camp in the upper Midwest where weather is uncertain and mosquitoes plentiful so we cannot count upon cooking all of our meals outdoors. On the other hand we try to keep heat out of the trailer on hot days by cooking outside. Usually travel as a family group of 3-5 people, sometimes more. Typically we have two hot meals a day, usually breakfast and supper, and we only rarely eat out or eat convenience foods. We do not carry a generator or a large inverter and so we have chosen our kitchen to make minimal use of electric appliances.

So in that light, here's the equipment we've chosen to meet our needs.

- Magma gas grill, set up to run off a propane outlet we have added under the trailer.
- 2 burner inexpensive open-frame higher BTU/h outdoor propane stove, also set up to run off the propane outlet.
- Folding table to support the grill and stove when there is no campground table available.
- Ordinary electric toaster.
- 7 piece set (plus lids) of older Calphalon heavy aluminum cookware given to us by friends who were upgrading. I believe it's 3 saucepans, 1 skillet, double boiler, and a 12 quart stock pot.
- Tea kettle.
- Medium large iron frypan.
- 12 place settings of Corelle, each made up of small and large plates, a small bowl, and a mug.
- 4 preparation and serving bowls of various sizes, 3 Corelle, 1 stainless steel, chosen to store nested
- Various cookie sheets, cake pans, and muffin pans, chosen to fit the oven and to store nested.
- handheld electric mixer (for cakes) (will run on a small cigarette lighter sized inverter)

All this stuff nests. The toaster fits in the stock pot, the rest of the Calphalon nests pretty well, the tea kettle fits in the microwave, and so on.

We have been pleased with the grill, well worth the money, folds well, easy to clean, runs off either the small disposable cylinders (if we picnic away from the trailer) or the gas line.

I use the range (both the stovetop and the oven) a great deal, also cook on the portable gas stove outside a good deal when weather and conditions allow.

My advice would be to consider how you cook at home on weekends and adjust so that you aren't dependent on electricity.

We do not dumb down our cooking for the Airstream. Prime rib with yorkshires, asparagas with hollandaise, eggs Benedict, apple pie, brownies, cupcakes, muffins, etc.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #32
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
Dutch Oven, what's that about? If better do some research as that seems to be a popular appliance.
I have an early 20th century Griswold one that I just used tonight for a pork roast (in our stick house, though, not in the trailer).

Traditionally they are a midsize to large unenameled, low cast iron pot (height is around 70% of diameter) with a closely fitting cover and a bail so that they can be supported over a fire from a hook. They traditionally include a trivet inside that will support the meat (or a pan of bread) off the bottom. Some have 3 cast legs so that the oven can stand over the fire, usually some bricks or stones are needed as supports to make these work.

You can use them like a regular old pot, of course, and boil spaghetti in them or fry things in the bottom. But what sets them apart is the ability to use them as an oven and have food in them surrounded by air on all sides so that it bakes or roasts.

I admire open fire cooking like this but for me it's a spectator sport.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My son has five boys so is into scouting type activities.

He digs a hole about six inches deep that is the same diameter as the cast iron dutch oven.

He starts 34 to 36 charcoal briquettes in a home made can. While they are turning grey:

He lines the oven with heavy duty aluminum foil
He puts two 16 ounce cans of blueberry pie mix in the oven and covers the blueberries with a small box of cake mix as evenly as possible.
He slices butter very thinly (about 1/16" to ⅛" thick) and completely covers the cake mix with the pads of butter.

When the coals are grey he puts 20 on the floor of the hole spread out evenly and then places the oven onto the coals. The lid goes on and gets the remaining coals placed on top.

After 15 minutes, the oven is turned 90 degrees clock wise and the lid is turned 90 degrees counter clockwise. This procedure is repeated at 30 and 45 minutes. At the hour mark remove the pot from the hole and clear the coals off the lid. Let the pie cool to eating temperature.

Even I could master this deal.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That also works super with peach pie filling...

We've also baked pineapple upside down cakes that way.

A good Dutch oven with legs and a rimmed lid is a great cooking tool in any camping situation.

3 Eagle Scout sons in our family, and more years as a Cubmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster than I wish to admit.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Love, love ,love my induction cook top - perfect for cooking breakfast! Also, enjoy it for grilling sandwiches or even my dutch oven. Other than that, our gas grill. Sometimes if grandchildren are with us, I'll bring waffle iron. Don't use the cooktop inside at all and rarely use the oven.

Laura & Tom
Old 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Oh...I use the induction cook top outside - just easier!

Laura & Tom
Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
We've enjoyed our CADAC Safari Chef- it's a multipurpose deal with griddles, BBQ, stove, and the lid even turns into a wok. Runs on propane, easy to set up outside, but good for just two people. We also use the Portable Grill, Black by
Picnic at Ascot (available at One Kings Lane) that folds flat, and can also be a raised fire pit. This is better for a communal charcoal BBQ, as long as you don't have too many people around. I built a custom steel box for it (and the firewood) that doubles as a stand to get it up to table height.

A great trick for cooking outside is to get one of those large fans on a stand, and blast it at you while sitting outside. Seems to get rid of most of the insects.

We never use those campground fire rings for actual cooking. Seems kinda gross to me, no telling what some fool has burned on that thing!

Check out "Amazing Food Hacks" for some fun goodies to cook on trips.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #38
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I use a portable induction cooktop inside and the small Weber gas grill outside. I liked the induction cooktop so well in the trailer that I installed a full-size model in my home kitchen. Extremely fast, generates no heat (though the pots and pans obviously get hot).
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I might get some flack for this unmanly method; but, I use a mid-sized George Forman electric grill, plugged into the AS outside. It works great for toast, too. We take a small gas BBQ when we plan not to be tethered to electricity. Dave
Old 11-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Nancy View Post
I might get some flack for this unmanly method; but, I use a mid-sized George Forman electric grill, plugged into the AS outside.
I doubt that George Foreman would consider it unmanly!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I use a portable induction cooktop inside and the small Weber gas grill outside. I liked the induction cooktop so well in the trailer that I installed a full-size model in my home kitchen. Extremely fast, generates no heat (though the pots and pans obviously get hot).
We just got a portable induction cooktop for our Airstream and are surprised how well it works. As you say, fast, generates no heat, and also no gases or moisture that burning propane puts into the trailer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What is the amp draw on the portable induction cooker?

Thanks

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote