Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 11-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
When we use to tent camp not much but with the AS you are only limited by the size of your TV and Storage space on the AS. I bring a Cobb and coleman grill and now that I just bought a griddle that will also come along. One or two of my favorite saute pans, handheld immersion electric blender, one full size espresso machine along with three other coffee pots, good knives.

More then I need and most of the time more then I use. But like a good carpenter you don't want to be without your tools.

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #16
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
I use stovetop, oven, and coleman grill (which I just started using) Mine has grill and a burner for pots. I am wondering...with coleman, do you all clean the whole grill , down under cook surface? I do not with gas grill at home, but do with coleman and it is a time consuming job everynite...is there a better way? We also heat water and do dishes outside. Thanks for help with the Coleman grill question.

2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Advance , North Carolina
Cast iron camp (with the legs) Dutch ovens outside! If you can cook a recipe in the oven in the house, you can cook it in a Dutch oven with charcoal (top and under). You control the temp with the quantity of briquettes top and under. We've adapted many recipes for our DOs, we even do great muffins (in foil liners) for breakfast and focaccia bread for dinner. Yummy!
Bruce AD4ET & Marcia KE4JZE
WBCCI #5027
TinCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
Fresno , California
I am another fan of the Cobb grill.
Doug & Lori
2004 28' Classic
2007 Ram 2500
dougandlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
What do you cook on/in besides the stove and oven?

- Galley cooking propane stove: light weight enamelware, scanpan skillet, cast iron fajita pan
- Convection/microwave: sidekick correlle dishes, pizza pan, fajita pan
- Outside Small "bucket style" charcoal grill and camp fire grate combo wood and charcoal
using same enamelware and fajita pan

Forum members are great for sharing their own experiences and I tried to follow their wisdom of limiting kitchen/cooking items to multi purpose items.

That being said, on my wish list: Cobb grill/oven, Kelley Kettle (just in case we would run out of propane while boondocking- no --- I'm not a prepper but really a much better person with my morning cup of coffee), and one more consideration is a Thermal Cooker. The good ones are pricey but for long distance trips, I think it would be great to prep a healthy dish while enjoying my second cup of morning coffee....pack the dinner in the Thermal Cooker.....travel to next destination and sit down to home cooked dinner without additional cooking!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
What do you cook on/in besides the stove and oven?

We do almost all cooking outside so as to limit cooking odors, grease, etc. on the inside on those aluminum walls.
We use the Weber Baby Q gas grill for a lot of cooking. We have the griddle insert so this opens up lots of possibilities.
My other 2 go to cooking tools are my induction portable cook top (Max Burton brand) and my trusty, Fry Daddy (from when they were made in the USA). The induction cook top is great. Very quick even heat, just have to have induction compatible cook pots. We have a small aluminum folding table that we use as an outside cooking base for the induction cook top and the Fry Daddy.
I just recently picked up an almost new "Baby Cakes" muffin/cup cake from Craigslist for $10. So far I have made brownies, blueberry muffins, and jalapeno/cheese corn muffins in this. It is pretty small, so doesn't take up much space and works well when you are only cooking for two.

Mrs. Silverbee
Silverbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
I have added the "Volcano 3" gas,wood,charcoal grill/oven.
Works very well with the Douch Oven and a two sided cast grittel.
When in fire band area LP is used.
The more we /I use it, the more we like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	226545  
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
Weber Baby Q and Coleman propane two burner for outside, both connected to a 20# tank. A crockpot, toaster oven, small microwave, and crockpot if we ever camp with hookups. Melita pour-over carafe. A variety of vintage cast iron.
WBCCI 28499
"Not all those who wander are lost"
J.R.R. Tolkien
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
1975 31' Sovereign
Pickens , South Carolina
When power's not a concern, I use a NuWave convection cooktop for quick or slow cooking. Saves cleanup on gas stove.
katherynhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
We like the O grill. Have had for several years and works great. Crock pot and electric grill outside as well. Wife bakes a pie (the odd time) in the oven.
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Small Weber Q 120 series gas grill for meat products. Veggies usually cooked on top of propane cooktop. Still working on the satisfactory operation of the built in propane oven. Temperature control is still hit or miss.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Why am I suddenly hungry?
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Why am I suddenly hungry?
Yeah! Me too! And I just had breakfast...

We use a Char-Broil portable gas grill a lot. Regarding cleaning it so it doesn't make a mess all over the back of the pickup, I use a Rubbermaid tough tote to carry the grill - it fit perfectly, with just a bit of whittling - easy to slide around in the truck, easy to carry to the picnic table (we do remove it to cook, so the tote won't melt!). We use a 1-gallon remote tank, which rides in another tote with the little gas can for the generator.

We also use one of the compact butane-powered one-burner saute stoves. It's tiny, lives in its own little plastic carrier, and gets hot enough to fry up a great breakfast. Not too great for boiling water, just not big enough.

When we towed a previous AS a couple of decades ago, I carried a big crab cooker and a large well-seasoned cheap steel wok. The cooker's huge burner would get the wok cherry-red in about 5 minutes - toss in some oil, lots of garlic (boy does it smoke!) and then the meat, peppers, onions ... MMM, Fajitas! The best outdoor food ever! I'm seriously considering getting another setup like that...
Like the tortoise, travelin' slow with the house on our back
2012 FC27FB "Ted Zeppelin"
2010 Tundra Crewmax Platinum "Silver Rhino"
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Charcoal BBQ for evening meals, we also carry an old-style two burner Coleman stove for stove-top cooking on the picnic table. I know it's duplicative but we enjoy doing it outdoors, and cooking odours and humidity waft away.

Breakfast and coffee on the AS stovetop. A bit of microwaving on occasion.

Bob and Nancy
Cheer Up, Slow Down, Chill Out!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote