Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
What didn't they fix for 2014?

Spent a ton of time here on the forum researching, and finally pulled the trigger on a 2014 Flying Cloud 28' which should be here some time in October. Reading through the forum during the wait, one could go bat-crazy wondering about all the potential issues to confront, or worse, decide that Airstreams are not properly sorted.

So, a few questions.

1. Did they fix the auto-transfer switch problem, or are the 2014's still using the troublesome Chinese made unit?

2. Did they finally replace the gaskets on the external roof lights so they no longer leak?

3. What about the filiform/corrosion issues? Are those ever-present, or limited to certain years?

4. Are the tank monitor issues (reliability) finally resolved?

Any other common afflictions that were addressed via changes in 2014? If not, what kinds of pro-active upgrades are 2014 owners making to avoid potential surprises?

Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Spent a ton of time here on the forum researching, and finally pulled the trigger on a 2014 Flying Cloud 28' which should be here some time in October. Reading through the forum during the wait, one could go bat-crazy wondering about all the potential issues to confront, or worse, decide that Airstreams are not properly sorted.

So, a few questions.

1. Did they fix the auto-transfer switch problem, or are the 2014's still using the troublesome Chinese made unit? Possible, but I doubt it.

2. Did they finally replace the gaskets on the external roof lights so they no longer leak? Maybe, still better to ask for the Classic lights.

3. What about the filiform/corrosion issues? Are those ever-present, or limited to certain years? I don't believe that this will ever end; My trailer has some/little. Other trailers have a lot. [luck/gamble]

4. Are the tank monitor issues (reliability) finally resolved? Don't count on it.

Any other common afflictions that were addressed via changes in 2014? If not, what kinds of pro-active upgrades are 2014 owners making to avoid potential surprises?
Note: these are just my opinions, not facts.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Relative to your questions, my 2014 has these:

1. No idea, no such transfer switch on my 20' FC

2. There are gaskets on the lights on my rig, but I don't know how different they may be from the earlier ones. I had a serious leak somewhere in the front where water came in the center of the pano window, but it is not certain where it came from, even now, as we have not had a rainstorm to test it after the dealer did some reseal, including one of the marker lights.

3. Mine is only 3 months old, no corrosion yet, but I expect some eventually. It is a fact of life with clear coat and the metal used on an AS.

4. My monitors work, but since I have never relied on them in any of the 14 or 15 AS products I have owned, I have really paid no attention to the ones on the new '14.

I do like the new larger (1000 watt) inverter/charger in the 2014's. I don't like the prop open only from the outside kitchen window, the single stage converter/charger (which I have already changed out) the stupid power hungry and noisy refrigerator fan. The water pump and water system are also an issue that upsets me. The pressure is bad and the fancy variable speed pump cycles along with the flow rate. The new full extension drawer slides are nice, but they need extra screws which the factory did not use to hold them to the drawer face. I added them myself.

One can drive themselves crazy with what could have been. I enjoy the trailer a lot, and just go camping. I fix as best as possible the factory screwups or poor design ideas. No RV I have ever owned has been perfect, my 2014 is no exception. However, overall it is a fine unit, well made, and I am happy with my purchase.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The power transfer switch is only on models with 30 amp panels that have dual power connections as only one can be hot at a time per the National Electrical Code. I purchased a mechanical transfer switch for the 25FB and it will go under the queen bed in the front curb side corner replacing the failure prone problematic OEM digital switch. It appears that the bed mattress plywood platform will have to be removed to access that location.

The local dealership had to recalibrate the monitor system (under warranty) which failed to notice the level in the black tank when I tested it with clean water filled nearly to the flush valve in the toilet. The recalibration also fixed the gray and fresh water level as well.

Putting a mechanical water meter on the discharge of the water pump would be more accurate.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Don't fret...we all have been Airstream induced "bat krazy" at one time or another.

"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote