Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #3101
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I have several cameras, but the old standby is a Canon G12 (now G14). Also a Nikon D300 with numerous lenses, and a Phase One P40+ (with numerous lenses). I rarely shoot medium format anymore though.

Not to mention my iPhone.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:49 PM   #3102
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What did I get for my trailer today?
Absolutely nothing for a change. I think it is the first day in months it has not cost me money just to get out of bed.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3103
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
What did I get for my trailer today?
Absolutely nothing for a change. I think it is the first day in months it has not cost me money just to get out of bed.
I know the feeling!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #3104
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I got a new 28" LG TV to replace the original LCD which does only analog signal. I got a new 15 gallon Tote-N-Store for the gray water.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #3105
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLoveLaugh View Post
DHart

During our two month trip through the South West, we found that we do not have the right cameras for our needs. We currently use two Canon Power Shot SX120IS digital cameras. Although they have fixed zoom lens it seems we never have the right focal length. I.e. not wide enough for interior shots, not long enough for wild life shots.

We are currently in the market to upgrade our cameras and was wondering if you could post what equipment you are currently using (pictures would nice).
Also what would your equipment recommendations be for intermediate digital travel photography?
Thanks
The subject of cameras is a BIG one, of course. And there are so many different cameras that can meet the needs of the average casual photographer.

Without doing a study of the latest, greatest cameras, I can't even begin to say what would be best for you, but I can tell you what I have chosen to use now that I no longer earn a living with my cameras.

I shoot with the micro 4/3 system. These are interchangeable, mirrorless cameras that have a sensor size of 1 1/3" (hence, 4/3s). There are two major manufacturers making bodies and lenses which fit the m4/3 specification, which means you can mix and match bodies and lenses from these two manufatrurers: Olympus and Panasonic (Lumix branded).

Presently, I have three bodies Lumix GX7, Lumix GM5, and Olympus EP5. And around 15 lenses, or so. The great thing with m4/3 is that the gear is much smaller and lighter than typical DSLR gear, which I am thrilled to NOT be using any more.

Imagine this: carrying three bodies and a dozen lenses in a compact Halliburton aluminum brief case! (Matches the Airstream nicely, as well!)

THAT's what micro 4/3rds is all about. Compact, lightweight, very high quality.

No, m4/3 gear is not less expensive than DSLRs. It is simply smaller, lighter, and MUCH more enjoyable and convenient to carry and use. Image quality is awesome and I routinely print 48" to 52" canvas wall prints for the house:

48" above the fireplace; 52" above the sofa in the next room:

Obviously, if you do YOUR part well, as a photographer, the m4/3 system gear will provide wonderful, high quality results for you!

I also use Sigma DP1 and DP3 Merrill cameras for times when I want extreme detail, for some landscape work (not used for the two wall prints you see above.) And a Ricoh GR for "street photography".

And, my most used little gem of an image maker:

The Lumix LX100! This camera uses the m4/3 sensor, but has a built-in Leica lens giving an "equivalent" focal length range of 24mm to about 70mm. The lens is superb and f/1.7 (very fast!). This little camera is my "go-everywhere" camera and yields awesome results. It also captures video in.... "4K". While not offering lens interchangeability, for a one-in-all camera, this little gem really performs magnificently!

Reviews of the 'landmark' LX100 camera:
https://youtu.be/_Lhsrc9oG5U
https://youtu.be/sPCC8P6AlqI

I capture images in RAW format and process all images in Lightroom on a 27" iMac and/or 17" MacBook Pro, while on the road.

If you want to get a system camera and want small, lightweight, convenient, a joy to use, and with high image quality look no further than micro four thirds.

Current cameras that I would recommend are Lumix GX7, G7 and Olympus OM-D. There are several other m43 camera bodies both smaller and larger than these mentioned, depending on your particular needs. If asked to recommend one body and three lenses, I'd go with:

For reference, double the focal length to see the "full-frame" equivalent focal length. (m4/3 12mm = full frame 24mm)

Lumix GX7 or G7 body
Olympus 9-18mm lens (for the wonderful world of wide angle)
Panasonic-Lumix 12-32 Ultra Compact zoom lens (very small, excellent quality)
Panasonic-Lumix 35-100 f/4-5.6

Some video reviews:
Lumix GX7 body:
https://youtu.be/ru_zhAPC78E
https://youtu.be/uT7kHknnUwg

Lumix 12-32 lens:
https://youtu.be/NROsVegOAIo

Lumix 35-100 f/4-5.6 lens
https://youtu.be/1itRjvF4SdM

A more costly "Pro" lens alternative in the 12-35mm range:
Panasonic-Leica 12-35 f/2.8 lens (superb IQ, and a bit costly - for the bulk of shooting)

Another very versatile and excellent lens:
Panasonic 14-140 (a bit large, but versatile and offering a tremendous reach)

There is a world of information out there (internet) on the micro four thirds system that is just a few key strokes away.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #3106
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
we are a very tolerant bunch of people here, but sometimes we need to remind each other to stay on topic
What did YOU get for your trailer today ?
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #3107
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
we are a very tolerant bunch of people here, but sometimes we need to remind each other to stay on topic
What did YOU get for your trailer today ?
Sorry Peter, to raise your ire with this slight aside. Your tolerance of our aside is noted.

I was asked a question in this thread by a forum member and replied. That was MY mistake. Some Airstreamers may appreciate the info I presented. Others may just pass through the two posts, tolerantly, without becoming irked. But, oops, now we're at 4 posts, aren't we! Even more irksome.

The forum makes it impossible for me to withdraw my post, as 30 minutes have passed since I replied. Perhaps I should begin another thread, elsewhere, which you can more easily ignore, in answer to Rich & Yvonne's question. However, in this forum, a bell once rung, cannot be un-rung!

Peter... what useful information can you offer to this thread today?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #3108
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We can take the camera discussion over here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post1672155

Thank you.

Moderators: if you wish to delete my contribution above, please do so. Thank you. And, my apologies for not immediately starting a new thread to reply to the question.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:50 PM   #3109
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Two Kermit chairs with leg extensions, drink holders, and "Casa Rocinante" script embroidered on each. Sweet!

Nice. We bought some Kermit chairs years ago for yearly remote trips rafting in Alaska. They still look brand new. No more disposable folding chairs for us

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #3110
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the education on 4/3rds cameras. I favor point and shoot rugged cameras myself and the wife likes her giant DSLR's. I just got my Olympus rugged TG-4 before our last trip. So I guess it was something for the Airstream because I take more pictures of the Airstream in different places than any thing else. I will relay all your great info and see if she wants to down size to the 4/3rds format. It would make it easier on me because I always have to carry her giant camera gear bag everywhere. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #3111
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Thanks for the education on 4/3rds cameras. I favor point and shoot rugged cameras myself and the wife likes her giant DSLR's. I just got my Olympus rugged TG-4 before our last trip. So I guess it was something for the Airstream because I take more pictures of the Airstream in different places than any thing else. I will relay all your great info and see if she wants to down size to the 4/3rds format. It would make it easier on me because I always have to carry her giant camera gear bag everywhere. Thanks.
Funny... lately I seem to be using my cameras more for Airstream photos than anything else, also!

You would LOVE carrying m4/3 camera gear for the wife vs. DSLR gear. I must say, the future IS mirrorless. DSLRs are big, heavy dinosaurs for all BUT some pros who require them, these days and those days ARE numbered.

Coming from a life long-career as a full-time commercial photographer, I couldn't be more thrilled with the advantages and performance of m4/3 system gear.

I hope the post may be helpful to someone.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #3112
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Great info! We are still working and treat all of our travels as vacation trips and have to take a gazillion pictures. When we pack the Airstream up for the road, camera gear is a high priority item. Can't leave home without em. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #3113
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Great info! We are still working and treat all of our travels as vacation trips and have to take a gazillion pictures. When we pack the Airstream up for the road, camera gear is a high priority item. Can't leave home without em. Thanks again.
You're welcome, friend. Camera gear is a BIG deal to me too, STILL... especially while traveling and, even in my retirement.

I guess, once a hard-core photographer, always a hard-core photographer!

I'll be doing whatever I can to capture the best images that I can, as long as I can.

Pass along to the wife, please, DON'T underestimate the post-processing aspect (computer editing). Ansel Adams did NOT skimp on emphasizing "darkroom" skills and today, we can't skimp on emphasizing our "Lightroom" skills! It makes ALL the difference and just like in Ansel's age, is more FAR important than whatever camera model you decide to buy! The camera only captures the basic elements. It is up to the skilled image maker to "develop" those basic image elements into something magnificent. The camera is just a basic tool. The PHOTOGRAPHER is what makes all the difference... in his/her choice of gear, image-making decisions, and post-processing development & printing skills.

You can buy the best scalpel on the market... but does that make you a great surgeon?

You can buy an amazing array of kitchen gear, but does that make you a great cook?

At the end of a magnificent meal, a guest once asked his hostess... "that dinner was one of the finest I have ever eaten!... what kind of stove do you use???"
Old 08-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #3114
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
South Western , Pennsylvania
Dhart,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to provide such an in depth answer to my question. I did not know about the 4/3 cameras and will definitely do more research.

To the gentleman's reply about keeping ON Topic: Really!! I thought the photos that Dhart posted where excellent and wanted to know what equipment he used and yes they would enhanance my Airsteam experience!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #3115
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivLoveLaugh View Post
Dhart,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to provide such an in depth answer to my question. I did not know about the 4/3 cameras and will definitely do more research.

To the gentleman's reply about keeping ON Topic: Really!! I thought the photos that Dhart posted where excellent and wanted to know what equipment he used and yes they would enhanance my Airsteam experience!

Agree with you, but it is the OP's thread and his request should be respected.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #3116
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Does anyone else......

.......find it interesting that the OP's listed trailer is a 310.

I didn't get anything for my trailer today....this post, is it allowed?

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #3117
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Installed A New 310 toilet and fixed the sliding door again. And a 50 amp 15' RV cord.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:24 AM   #3118
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Zip Dee awning claw spacers came in the mail!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #3119
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
We can take the camera discussion over here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post1672155

Thank you.

Moderators: if you wish to delete my contribution above, please do so. Thank you. And, my apologies for not immediately starting a new thread to reply to the question.

(From a non moderator):

Don't worry about it, it was a minor excursion of much more value than many of the on topic posts already present here. We are of course all tolerant. However apparently some are just more so than others. It is far from the first time that this thread has taken a small diversion to answer questions about the things mentioned.

Thanks for starting the new thread, I will subscribe to it. Your explanation of the importance of after shooting processing was very enlightening to me.

Thanks,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #3120
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks, Ken. It seems to have been useful info to several others, as well. Most of us (one partner of most couples, at least) seem to have more than a passing interest in photography, especially as it relates to traveling with our Airstreams! I felt the posts weren't far off topic and a number of others agree.