Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #5153
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I remounted the mirror after it parted company with one of the hinges. The plywood had delaminated, originally caused by a guest pulling down on the mirror without unlatching. J B Weld filed the void where the wood pulled away.

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #5154
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Two hundred eleven pounds of hubs, discs, calipers, and actuator to convert from 12"x2" drum brakes to 12" Kodiak discs. Next week, axles I hope.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 PM   #5155
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Two hundred eleven pounds of hubs, discs, calipers, and actuator to convert from 12"x2" drum brakes to 12" Kodiak discs. Next week, axles I hope.

Al
I was convinced until recently that was the next mod I intend to do, especially since springtime our travel plans are in the Rockies and I figure that the best brakes are the best idea for mountain travels.
The problem is that converting to disc brakes adds a failure-mode which does not exist with drums: A hydraulic pump and system added to the electrical controller system which is required for either system.
Drums have been on trailers so long that their reliability is settled.
I don't like added complexity so I'll just replace the drums with new for the trip.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #5156
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
I remounted the mirror after it parted company with one of the hinges. The plywood had delaminated, originally caused by a guest pulling down on the mirror without unlatching. J B Weld filed the void where the wood pulled away.
Nice to hear someone else had that job to do also. I recently had to fix my mirrored door in the bathroom of my 2016 25'FC. I had a catch latch (like on the bumper compartment) installed to hold the mirrored door open and I accidentally forgot and pulled it down hard, tearing out the hinge. To fix it, I took off the mirrored door and removed the hardware, patched the area broken out with epoxy wood filler, filled the screw holes and turned the door around 180 degrees. Then re-mounted the hardware in new holes and installed back good as new (with a little paint). I just felt turning the door around provided a stronger area to mount the hinges. After all, it is a very heavy door! I think a proper sized gas strut would be the best solution or maybe sliding panels.
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #5157
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One of the many factory failures was not installing the support rod or mechanism as shown in the parts book for the bathroom mirror in our 2014 31' Classic. We attached a stainless steel door hinge at the proper location with a brace to keep it level with the floor when open and we flip it up to raise the mirror and fold it back down to rest the mirror on it. Simple solution when I was pressed for time.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #5158
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
I thought I would share a picture of the new dinette table I made and installed last month. This replaces the plain white laminated one that came with my 2016 25' FC. I like how Cherry and Maple woods compliment the Flying Cloud interior and the Walnut accents. The Maple is lightly spalted giving it a lot of character. The table is a little thicker and 2" narrower than the original table to provide greater comfort when lounging sideways in the seat. I will have to drop it and turn it 90 degrees if I need to set up a bed, but its just the two of us so no need for that now. I used the original mounting parts that were on the old table. Also, there was not much difference in weight between the two tables. Next is to add a pop of color in the rugs and bedding.

Previous photo of the sink cover and flip-up table I posted (Pg 352)
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #5159
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprvashon View Post
I thought I would share a picture of the new dinette table I made and installed last month. This replaces the plain white laminated one that came with my 2016 25' FC. I like how Cherry and Maple woods compliment the Flying Cloud interior and the Walnut accents. The Maple is lightly spalted giving it a lot of character. The table is a little thicker and 2" narrower than the original table to provide greater comfort when lounging sideways in the seat. I will have to drop it and turn it 90 degrees if I need to set up a bed, but its just the two of us so no need for that now. I used the original mounting parts that were on the old table. Also, there was not much difference in weight between the two tables. Next is to add a pop of color in the rugs and bedding.

Brilliant

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #5160
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
VERY nice!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #5161
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
They are great feet. On my tow vehicle and my FC.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #5162
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
SF Greater Bay Area , California
Quote:

Just beautiful !
May I ask, what glue did you use and what did you finish the wood with?

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #5163
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I was convinced until recently that was the next mod I intend to do, especially since springtime our travel plans are in the Rockies and I figure that the best brakes are the best idea for mountain travels.
The problem is that converting to disc brakes adds a failure-mode which does not exist with drums: A hydraulic pump and system added to the electrical controller system which is required for either system.
Drums have been on trailers so long that their reliability is settled.
I don't like added complexity so I'll just replace the drums with new for the trip.
I don't know if your profile is up to date, but I wouldn't do it on anything 25' or under. My 6300# Safari combo would stop as well as the TV by itself; not so with the 9100# Classic 30 (which has exactly the same brakes as the 25). The way I see it on my trailer, the brakes are 50% failed all the time. I'm uncomfortable with the poor stopping power.

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #5164
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
That is some gorgeous work!

Al

Quote:

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #5165
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Tracktown USA , Oregon
We bought this (Go Boldly in the direction of your dreams) a few years ago when we bought our AS and a red TV...seemed to be a good sign.

https://www.noelledass.com/store/c22/AIRSTREAMS.html

She is a local artist and I noticed at her Holiday Market booth that she had others re AS's. She indicated a 15% for AS owners buying in the AS category. Use SMILE15 as a coupon at checkout.

Happy Trails

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:35 PM   #5166
3 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
New TPMS. TST 507 with the new color monitor. Like the fact that the antenna on the monitor is a stub molded in plastic. Not likely to get bent/broken. Color display seems a lot easier to read. Monitor sits in a nice stand that fits in the coin tray on my F-150.