Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #4817
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The reason I could not help but buy it is that I had a backpacker size version of it from a different maker (bushbuddy) and love how that burns so much I knew I wanted to try this one

Never heard about it rusting out...I just walked over and felt the bottom - it is nit thin gage stuff - I would be shocked for it to rust out super quick - if it did I think you could make shift a solution but I think if it happened that fast I would cal solo stove and complain.

My review will come by the weekend after using it nightly - I will post it as a standalone thread to not bog down this thread...and then I can come back at months and 1 year and such later as a follow up

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #4818
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
The reason I could not help but buy it is that I had a backpacker size version of it from a different maker (bushbuddy) and love how that burns so much I knew I wanted to try this one

Never heard about it rusting out...I just walked over and felt the bottom - it is nit thin gage stuff - I would be shocked for it to rust out super quick - if it did I think you could make shift a solution but I think if it happened that fast I would cal solo stove and complain.

My review will come by the weekend after using it nightly - I will post it as a standalone thread to not bog down this thread...and then I can come back at months and 1 year and such later as a follow up
This guy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B01LX9ABGX

I'm really liking the looks of this thing...the lack of smoke, and ability to use when there is no fire ring while boondocking, not to mention it's compliant with leave no trace which is nice too.

Will look forward to your new post when you get back. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #4819
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
I dropped my 28 FC into service to get a new hinge and shower door hinge, and I walked out later with a new 27 27 FB International! How's that for an upgrade!
Just curious what it was about the 27' that you liked more than the 28'. Was it the layout?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #4820
2 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Quote:
It's just a towel - I always hang something on both sides as hitting your head becomes inevitable...I've seen others use a pool noodle cut with a slit to allow easy attachment.

The fire pit is 19.5 inches wide and 14 inches tall...weight like maybe 20 lbs - not "light" but easy enough to move

It produced remarkably little smoke which my wife who is sensitive to smoke gave it a thumbs up tonight.

It produces a most unique burn with secondary combustion of "wood gas" with the design.

We were with friends this weekend and they have one. We loved it and will probably get one. He found it for $250 with free shipping. Virtually no smoke. We did have good wood.
The one thing I will tell you, be very careful. Very hot!!! First someone melted the tip of their shoe. I was walking between a chair and the fire pit and got too close and have a nasty burn on my leg. I don't think it was the wine?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #4821
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Just curious what it was about the 27' that you liked more than the 28'. Was it the layout?
Yes. With 2 boys who like to sleep in, and a dog, it always felt cramped and my wife and I were usually bumping into each other, when one of us would move from the front to the back or in the kitchen. We loved the couch and larger dinette bench at first, but the layout of the 27 seems more spacious in the dining and kitchen area. Countertop kitchen space is also smaller in the 28, and storage for food and kitchen items is inconvenient. Microwave slide outs in the 27 are nice!

I was always nervous that the door would smack into the side window of the 28 by the dinette, which we never opened for that reason. Finally, the rear side closets in the 28 were hard to access and so we rarely used them; better is the panoramic view and side counter top in the 27. Full timers may feel differently.

I suspect in the next few years we will identify aspects of the 27fb we don't love. Starting with the exterior storage door. It helps that we upgraded interiors from the FC to the International, which we like more.

I think for two people, the 28 with two chairs instead of the lounge would be great, and families with 3 small kids might need the extra sleeping space. For the four and a half of us, hoping the 27 proves to be the ticket.

Lots of threads on the 27 vs 28. The 27 is the better selling model so maybe the masses know better.

There are no bad AS models, just models that are more or less suited to your needs.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 AM   #4822
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
There is an existing thread on the 27 vs. 28 debate FYI

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...er-165331.html

. . . Permitting this thread to focus on purchases IMO.

See also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...28w-43859.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...-a-142070.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...fb-148935.html
Old 06-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #4823
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Picked up my trailer today from Foley's. Shiny new Dometic Penguin HD with heat pump and drain cups. This bad boy puts out some cold air and actually seems to be somewhat quieter than my previous unit.This is the first time I have had an Airstream that drains properly. Very humid today and water is flowing out the drain line as designed for a change. Hats off to the crew at Foley RV in Gulfport, Mississippi for a job well done.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #4824
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Picked up my trailer today from Foley's. Shiny new Dometic Penguin HD with heat pump and drain cups. This bad boy puts out some cold air and actually seems to be somewhat quieter than my previous unit.This is the first time I have had an Airstream that drains properly. Very humid today and water is flowing out the drain line as designed for a change. Hats off to the crew at Foley RV in Gulfport, Mississippi for a job well done.

What happened to your old one?
Old 06-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #4825
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
What happened to your old one?

Fried compressor

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #4826
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
Guess 11 or so years is pretty good if that was your original
Old 06-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #4827
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Guess 11 or so years is pretty good if that was your original
Nope, it was installed by Jackson Center about 4 years ago right before I bought the trailer.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #4828
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Huntington , New York
Quote:
My solo stove Bonfire came in mail and got first use camping

Attachment 286905

At $300 it is expensive but you get a portable fireplace that burns consistently and uses roughly 1/2 the wood a standard ring will. Smores will cook better as the heat is more uniform and fairly intense. Add a Round grill top from Home Depot and you can cook. Strangely it is cool on the very bottom.

You will be happy you have it but it's one of those Xmas gifts.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #4829
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
At $300 it is expensive but you get a portable fireplace that burns consistently and uses roughly 1/2 the wood a standard ring will. Smores will cook better as the heat is more uniform and fairly intense. Add a Round grill top from Home Depot and you can cook. Strangely it is cool on the very bottom.

I'm interested in this fp, if I can get over the $300 price. Hoping the rust issue is surface, and not a big deal.
Your comment about using 1/2 the wood though, caught my eye. Why does it use less wood? Just because of its small size and not having the ability to put more wood on the fire? Or does it put out so much heat that you just have a smaller fire?
Thx
Old 06-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #4830
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Navarre , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post

Do you have to use shorter cuts of wood?