Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #5081
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
One came with my Husky 5000 jack. Excellant addition.

Perfect timing, I was just thinking of putting some sort of plastic bag to protect for winter. Ordered amazon 10.99 shipped
Old 11-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #5082
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybeluga View Post
Very nice. Did you do the counter tops yourself?

Yes. They are not perfect but we think they turned out great. Note for others using epoxy, make sure you block all possible gaps where epoxy could flow, such as under the sink if sealing in or behind the trim.

So much more counter space now.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:14 PM   #5083
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
What Did You Get For Your Trailer Today?

Finished my bike rack!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5681.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	299107
1x6 pine routed and urethaned. Stainless steel hardware to mount the fork blocks. I used 3M Dual Lock to hold the board to the floor. Holy moly that stuff is strong. I can’t get the board to release. Lifts the flooring instead. Guess it isn’t glued down :0
bbandeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #5084
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I unboxed the power cable. It's big, it's pretty heavy, as I expected. But it coils easily, and the smooth outer jacket looks like it should clean easily.
Tomorrow, I'll leave it in the sun for a while, then over/under it into a 2' coil. that should be enough to get in the storage door.
Over/Under is an acquired skill (easy to learn) that allows a cable to unwind without twists because you've put one coil "over" and the next coil "under". It's just about impossible to describe, but easy if you watch it. Nice neat coils in the bay, I do everything that way, even water hoses and rope.

No. That's the same company, but that's an EXTENSION cord.
It has a 50 amp male on one end, but a matching 50 amp female on the other. The Airstream uses a three pin twist lock with a side ground. It's keyed to only go in one way.
It's called a SS2-P50 or Marine locking 50 amp plug.
This looks like a particularly well-priced source:
https://smile.amazon.com/Mighty-Cord...94CCHGKRFVVN12

How important is it to have the cord be for 50-amp rather than 30-amp?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #5085
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
When your propane tanks get to be 10 years old and no longer can be filled without being inspected recertified, then approval lasts only 5 years (or so I am told), do you buy new tanks or start getting the old ones approved each 5 years? (If I have been told a bunch of BS, please let me know.)
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 AM   #5086
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The cord referenced in post 5084 above is 30 amp, thus the lower price.

The 50 amp power cords are only for those Airstreams that had the 50 amp service with the second Air conditioner option installed. The 50 amp service can provide 12,000 watts of power while the 30 amp service can provide only 3,600 watts of power.

A 30 amp power cord has to be part of the power cord selection even with the 50 amp service in the coach because 50 amp power pedestals are certainly not available at all locations.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 AM   #5087
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
When your propane tanks get to be 10 years old and no longer can be filled without being inspected recertified, then approval lasts only 5 years (or so I am told), do you buy new tanks or start getting the old ones approved each 5 years? (If I have been told a bunch of BS, please let me know.)

Compared the cost. With 20lbs, take the old ones to the recycler and buy new - at$35CAD it's a no brained. But 30lb tanks are more like $90CAD so, for me, if the recert is less than 60%, I'll probably recert
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 AM   #5088
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
In all the years I have been boating and trailering I don’t recall ever having anyone look at my tank dates much less say they had to be inspected or refuse to fill them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #5089
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
In all the years I have been boating and trailering I don’t recall ever having anyone look at my tank dates much less say they had to be inspected or refuse to fill them.
Never had it happen to me until this past summer, I had a 20lb tank that the local ACE hardware refused to refill. I had gotten it from Home Depot on their propane exchange. Went back to Home Depot, they exchanged it without question.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 AM   #5090
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
I run my cottage offgrid and filling bottles is a biweekly chore. In Ontario, at least, the bottles are inspected every single time including date stamp checks. Every bottle past due has been rejected.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #5091
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
What Did You Get For Your Trailer Today?

Jen brought this home yesterday. Installed this morning. At <5ft tall this cabinet is a nightmare for her. (Not that the overheads are any better but this is such a narrow deep cavern. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5686.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	299179  
Old 11-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #5092
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbandeddie View Post
I used 3M Dual Lock to hold the board to the floor. Holy moly that stuff is strong. I can’t get the board to release. Lifts the flooring instead.
Here's tip I learned from guitarists who use it to hold pedals to their boards.
A spatula.
Yes, get a small metal spatula and work it in a corner then keep going. It separates the two parts without pulling the finish off.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #5093
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Coldwater , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Here's tip I learned from guitarists who use it to hold pedals to their boards.

A spatula.

Yes, get a small metal spatula and work it in a corner then keep going. It separates the two parts without pulling the finish off.

Exactly! As I was having coffee this afternoon I realized that a metal putty knife would do just what you’ve described. Too funny.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #5094
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
When we had our trailer down to JC in October, we had them add awnings to the rear and to the street side of the trailer.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #5095
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
I got a new Samsung 28" Class HD (720P) LED TV (UN28H4500) yesterday for the front cabin. Four weeks ago, I got a new Sony Blue-ray player, but the aspect ratio of the player was not compatible (or adjustable) to the old 2004 Samsung TV (or visa versa), so I could not see what was showing on the edges of the screen.

And time marches on for the electronics...
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #5096
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Trailer Valet XL

Unfortunately we can't store our Airstream at our house, so we have to store it elsewhere. Fortunately down the street is a mini warehouse storage facility. They have a few pull-through and a few back in covered spots (about 30 of each). When we picked up our new 27FB (we had the 23D), we discovered just how much that extra 6-in in width and 5 feet in length mean when trying to back the Airstream in. After some very tight maneuvering, I discovered how difficult it was going to be putting the 27FB into the very tight space (you can't open the door of the Airstream it's so tight), and with the storage bays as close as they are to the spaces, I was right up against them putting the Airstream in.

We talked to them about a pull-through, but they haven't had any openings in months and we're about 20 down the list. So, looking for other alternatives, I stumbled onto: https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/

At around $600 it wasn't as bad as some of the other motorized options. We got it yesterday evening, and took it down to our storage area. It works as advertised and I'm quite pleased with it. The only downside is it still takes two people to put the Airstream away since you can't see around the Airstream from where you are. But it made getting the Airstream in and out of the space much easier (although it is a bit of work physically... my 18v battery drill didn't have enough torque to move the Airstream).

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #5097
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Never had it happen to me until this past summer, I had a 20lb tank that the local ACE hardware refused to refill. I had gotten it from Home Depot on their propane exchange. Went back to Home Depot, they exchanged it without question.

Amazing. This summer, during the hurricane aftermath, I saw two cargo trailers pulled over for overloading and tongue weights being checked- a first.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #5098
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Manteca , California
We got a big surprise for our trailer today...no sound from one our speakers! So while diagnosing, I found this...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	559.0 KB
ID:	299295

Connectors weren’t crimped well and one connector is way too big. Did a little love squeeze and all is well.[emoji12]

2016 27 Flying Cloud FB
2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4, Equal-i-zer Hitch, 4.10 axle ratio.
4riveteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:31 AM   #5099
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
Unfortunately we can't store our Airstream at our house, so we have to store it elsewhere. Fortunately down the street is a mini warehouse storage facility. They have a few pull-through and a few back in covered spots (about 30 of each). When we picked up our new 27FB (we had the 23D), we discovered just how much that extra 6-in in width and 5 feet in length mean when trying to back the Airstream in. After some very tight maneuvering, I discovered how difficult it was going to be putting the 27FB into the very tight space (you can't open the door of the Airstream it's so tight), and with the storage bays as close as they are to the spaces, I was right up against them putting the Airstream in.

We talked to them about a pull-through, but they haven't had any openings in months and we're about 20 down the list. So, looking for other alternatives, I stumbled onto: https://www.trailervalet.com/xl/

At around $600 it wasn't as bad as some of the other motorized options. We got it yesterday evening, and took it down to our storage area. It works as advertised and I'm quite pleased with it. The only downside is it still takes two people to put the Airstream away since you can't see around the Airstream from where you are. But it made getting the Airstream in and out of the space much easier (although it is a bit of work physically... my 18v battery drill didn't have enough torque to move the Airstream).

-Wayne
I don't understand how that thing stays vertical when it's only connected by the ball. Unless it's that collar that screws up against the tongue - but that seems like a lot of stress to put on it.

- a different Wayne
Old 11-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #5100
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I don't understand how that thing stays vertical when it's only connected by the ball. Unless it's that collar that screws up against the tongue - but that seems like a lot of stress to put on it.

- a different Wayne
It's got a collar on it that you tighten once you get the unit on there. They give you a wrench that helps you tighten it. After a few trips I'll update you, but so far seems like cheap insurance. With a pole on one side and another camper just a couple of inches away it wouldn't take but a little mistake to cause several thousand dollars worth of damage.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote