Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-27-2015, 11:08 AM   #3431
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,429
Images: 8
The other serious point in the discussion is the weight factor.

I replaced four Lifeline GSM model 6ct 6Vdv 300 amp-hour batteries that weighed 92 pounds each plus about 75 pounds in a custom stainless steel enclosure on the tongue of the Classic (tongue weight was 1,350 pounds). The four Lifeline batteries were around $1,680 and the enclosure was $400. This assembled array was rated 12Vdc and 600 amp-hours where 50% or 300 amp-hours were usable.

I removed that Lifeline based array and enclosure and placed the new AM Solar lithium 600 amp-hour battery that weighed 168 pounds under the front sofa of the Classic beside the existing Magnum MS-2812 converter inverter. The battery was just under $4,700. It can provide about 500 amp-hours of power (can even run an air conditioner for a few hours). The tongue weight dropped to 1,150 pounds.

We can be off grid with quite a few cloudy days before a generator would need to be run to power the Magnum on 120Vac to charge the battery.

We installed the AM Solar 300 amp-hour lithium battery ($2,599) that weighed 84 pounds under the sofa in front of the street side wheel well. That was less weight than the two stock Interstate batteries we removed from the front battery box (that is now a storage box for chocks). The battery has a 10.25" x 14.5" foot print. The electronics and solar charge controller were mounted in that space as well (between the wheel well and the furnace). We put the Magnum MSH 3012 just in front of the furnace.

This electrical equipment was short enough that the stock Airstream furniture was able to be installed over it without modification other than a couple of access hatches hidden by the sitting cushions. The battery can provide around 250 amp-hours of power. A single 2,000 watt generator, with assistance from the Magnum hybrid inverter, can start and run the air conditioner.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #3432
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The other serious point in the discussion is the weight factor.

I replaced four Lifeline GSM model 6ct 6Vdv 300 amp-hour batteries that weighed 92 pounds each plus about 75 pounds in a custom stainless steel enclosure on the tongue of the Classic (tongue weight was 1,350 pounds). The four Lifeline batteries were around $1,680 and the enclosure was $400. This assembled array was rated 12Vdc and 600 amp-hours where 50% or 300 amp-hours were usable.

I removed that Lifeline based array and enclosure and placed the new AM Solar lithium 600 amp-hour battery that weighed 168 pounds under the front sofa of the Classic beside the existing Magnum MS-2812 converter inverter. The battery was just under $4,700. It can provide about 500 amp-hours of power (can even run an air conditioner for a few hours). The tongue weight dropped to 1,150 pounds.

We can be off grid with quite a few cloudy days before a generator would need to be run to power the Magnum on 120Vac to charge the battery.

We installed the AM Solar 300 amp-hour lithium battery ($2,599) that weighed 84 pounds under the sofa in front of the street side wheel well. That was less weight than the two stock Interstate batteries we removed from the front battery box (that is now a storage box for chocks). The battery has a 10.25" x 14.5" foot print. The electronics and solar charge controller were mounted in that space as well (between the wheel well and the furnace). We put the Magnum MSH 3012 just in front of the furnace.

This electrical equipment was short enough that the stock Airstream furniture was able to be installed over it without modification other than a couple of access hatches hidden by the sitting cushions. The battery can provide around 250 amp-hours of power. A single 2,000 watt generator, with assistance from the Magnum hybrid inverter, can start and run the air conditioner.
This is how I justified the cost. If you start with all that and the cost of the AGM's I feel the benefits equal the additional cost for the lithiums.
__________________

__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #3433
Rivet Master
 
2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,245
Images: 1
Switz are you now at 900ah of lithium in your Classic or was 600ah in the classic and the other 300ah in another trailer? If 900ah in the Classic you ROCK!!!
__________________
Gary
2015 Classic
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax
ProPride
NVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #3434
Peapod
 
KenSanLan's Avatar
 
1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 104
Blog Entries: 1
Elfa shelving units for an oddly shaped cupboard that has never been very useful. Installing wire baskets to hold cans of food.
__________________
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #3435
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,429
Images: 8
The Classic has eight 100 watt solar panels powering a 600 amp-hour lithium battery while the 23D has five of the same 100 watt solar panels powering a 300 amp hour lithium battery.

The 600 amp-hour lithium battery was the largest physical size we could get under the sofa between the sofa support legs beside the Magnum and we were dropping a lot of weight off of the tongue while increasing useable power from roughly 300 amp-hours to to over 500 amp-hours.

The 23D was very space constrained on the roof and we were just able to squeeze five panels there after replacing the WineGard crank up batwing television antenna with the round WineGard Rayzar digital television antenna. We were also weight and space constrained under the street side dinette and sofa. We gained some more additional weight replacing the 14" tires and wheels with 15" tires and wheels. We replaced the stock mattress with a 10" Rocky Mountain unit and compensated for the weight gain by removing the stock tank style water heater (about 50 pounds of stored hot water) with a Truma 'AquaGo custom' tankless instant on water heater. Replacing the factory skylight with a Maxim skylight and replacing the two Fantastic Fans with two Maxxfan 70000K units probably added a few pounds as well

After loading the 'camping stuff' this Tuesday, the wife and I will cross the CAT scales to verify all is well in the world weight wise and go to a local state park for a couple of nights for a 'first living in the unit' shakedown.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #3436
Full Time Adventurer
 
BoldAdventure's Avatar
 
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,734
Do internet orders count? Two more S-GS100 solar panels from AMSolar and a whole bunch of cabling.

Plus a new Fantastic Fan, because the old one was out of warranty and crap.




Just need to cut the new plastic surround.
__________________
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
OUR BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #3437
Rivet Master

 
2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,381
Brass blow-out plug that fits my air hose quick connects. Plus a brass vacuum breaker.


Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
__________________
KE4GNK/AE
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #3438
4 Rivet Member
 
MaineStreamer's Avatar
 
2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 333
Do you folks own an electric air pump for tires, etc.?
__________________
Marty Womer
Saco, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #3439
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar

 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,574
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Do you folks own an electric air pump for tires, etc.?
Yup. Get a "good one"..
High pressure and volume
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #3440
4 Rivet Member
 
MaineStreamer's Avatar
 
2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 333
Air Pump

When you say,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Yup. Get a "good one"..
High pressure and volume
what do you mean? Something like this?
Sears.com
__________________
Marty Womer
Saco, Maine
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:03 AM   #3441
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,429
Images: 8
Installed a larger fire extinguisher to replace the tiny one Airstream installed.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #3442
4 Rivet Member
 
AStreamNerds's Avatar
 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 483
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
When you say,
what do you mean? Something like this?
Sears.com
I bought this one a couple years ago and have been very satisfied with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Viair-40047-Au...essor+portable
__________________
You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds":
https://www.youtube.com/c/airstreamnerds

TV: 2013 Ford Raptor SVT
Build Page: http://www.shaggycentral.net/bigeffr/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #3443
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,824
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
Do you folks own an electric air pump for tires, etc.?
Here's the link to a forum thread on portable air compressors:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...sor-63580.html
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #3444
4 Rivet Member
 
Twinke58's Avatar
 
1958 26' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Installed a larger fire extinguisher to replace the tiny one Airstream installed.

What size did you get and do you have a picture? Sounds like that's the size I want to get.


Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forum
__________________

__________________
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (2 members and 3 guests)
SailorSam205, urnmor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What did you get your trailer today Horsey5 Airstream Lifestyle 0 02-17-2016 10:07 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.