Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #4821
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Just curious what it was about the 27' that you liked more than the 28'. Was it the layout?
Yes. With 2 boys who like to sleep in, and a dog, it always felt cramped and my wife and I were usually bumping into each other, when one of us would move from the front to the back or in the kitchen. We loved the couch and larger dinette bench at first, but the layout of the 27 seems more spacious in the dining and kitchen area. Countertop kitchen space is also smaller in the 28, and storage for food and kitchen items is inconvenient. Microwave slide outs in the 27 are nice!

I was always nervous that the door would smack into the side window of the 28 by the dinette, which we never opened for that reason. Finally, the rear side closets in the 28 were hard to access and so we rarely used them; better is the panoramic view and side counter top in the 27. Full timers may feel differently.

I suspect in the next few years we will identify aspects of the 27fb we don't love. Starting with the exterior storage door. It helps that we upgraded interiors from the FC to the International, which we like more.

I think for two people, the 28 with two chairs instead of the lounge would be great, and families with 3 small kids might need the extra sleeping space. For the four and a half of us, hoping the 27 proves to be the ticket.

Lots of threads on the 27 vs 28. The 27 is the better selling model so maybe the masses know better.

There are no bad AS models, just models that are more or less suited to your needs.
Lara Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #4822
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There is an existing thread on the 27 vs. 28 debate FYI

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...er-165331.html

. . . Permitting this thread to focus on purchases IMO.

See also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f370...28w-43859.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...-a-142070.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...fb-148935.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #4823
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Picked up my trailer today from Foley's. Shiny new Dometic Penguin HD with heat pump and drain cups. This bad boy puts out some cold air and actually seems to be somewhat quieter than my previous unit.This is the first time I have had an Airstream that drains properly. Very humid today and water is flowing out the drain line as designed for a change. Hats off to the crew at Foley RV in Gulfport, Mississippi for a job well done.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #4824
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Picked up my trailer today from Foley's. Shiny new Dometic Penguin HD with heat pump and drain cups. This bad boy puts out some cold air and actually seems to be somewhat quieter than my previous unit.This is the first time I have had an Airstream that drains properly. Very humid today and water is flowing out the drain line as designed for a change. Hats off to the crew at Foley RV in Gulfport, Mississippi for a job well done.

What happened to your old one?
Old 06-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #4825
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
What happened to your old one?

Fried compressor

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #4826
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Guess 11 or so years is pretty good if that was your original
Old 06-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #4827
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Guess 11 or so years is pretty good if that was your original
Nope, it was installed by Jackson Center about 4 years ago right before I bought the trailer.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #4828
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My solo stove Bonfire came in mail and got first use camping

Attachment 286905

At $300 it is expensive but you get a portable fireplace that burns consistently and uses roughly 1/2 the wood a standard ring will. Smores will cook better as the heat is more uniform and fairly intense. Add a Round grill top from Home Depot and you can cook. Strangely it is cool on the very bottom.

You will be happy you have it but it's one of those Xmas gifts.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:33 AM   #4829
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post
At $300 it is expensive but you get a portable fireplace that burns consistently and uses roughly 1/2 the wood a standard ring will. Smores will cook better as the heat is more uniform and fairly intense. Add a Round grill top from Home Depot and you can cook. Strangely it is cool on the very bottom.

I'm interested in this fp, if I can get over the $300 price. Hoping the rust issue is surface, and not a big deal.
Your comment about using 1/2 the wood though, caught my eye. Why does it use less wood? Just because of its small size and not having the ability to put more wood on the fire? Or does it put out so much heat that you just have a smaller fire?
Thx

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #4830
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSH View Post

Do you have to use shorter cuts of wood?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #4831
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Dang - hahaha - I'll post my review (or I suppose more like first 1 week review impressions, which will be detailed) this weekend.

I was able to use the wood sold at the CG store no problem and if it were a bit taller I doubt it would matter much at all.

The rust "issue" I strongly suspect is mere surface rust - I'll photograph mine after first week use here along the coast (gulf shores) - everything looks fine - the bottom grate has a dusting of a rust color to it - I'll photograph - it does not concern me in the least - my little backpacking version has similar on the inside - I think the Amazon reviewer had this but theirs looked a bit worse - even as such as long as it burned as awesome as it does (and it does!) i would not care.

Using less wood? I am not experienced with the firewood in a campground standard fire pit - but 1 bundle of wood for us lasted for a while - we only want to fool with it for 2-3 hours tops and just shy of that bundle was enough for us! Not sure how much we would use in a standard fire ring setup...for reasons to be discussed - it is so apples and oranges - even with a small bit of the coals hot and something lit on fire it just pumps out heat and that flame awesome - you really only get the big streaming secondary burn when you have the stove maybe at 3/4 full of wood or more (see attached photo - which was edited to boost contrast)

I'll post the review this weekend with more detailed comments but thought this quick post would answer some questions lingering...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1496287043961.jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	287146

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:29 AM   #4832
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
A new to me Tow vehicle! I really like this 1996 Airstream BVan, has all the appliances of the bigger units, is very easy to drive, 9000 pound towing capacity and a powerful drive train with overdrive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	96BVan.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	288011   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170524_201007.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	288012  

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #4833
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice combo Peter. Lots of options.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #4834
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post

Your comment about using 1/2 the wood though, caught my eye. Why does it use less wood? Just because of its small size and not having the ability to put more wood on the fire? Or does it put out so much heat that you just have a smaller fire?

Thx

Probably best to review their How It Works info on this page.
It's like going from Incandescent to CFL bulbs - more efficient

https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #4835
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Draper , Utah
My husband said he couldn't resist,
"Clark, the shutters full."

Glad you got it to work.
ShullsinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:23 AM   #4836
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Lipstick on Filiform

Tired of seeing the extra filiform white specs around and more under the ventline exhaust vent. (She was stored on west coast beach most of previous life). With some extra flexible molding wrap insert laying around from a recent full wrap around, decided to mitre a vent "frame" covering up most of the
surrounding filiform. Actually matches width and other trim nearby.

Original no, but less yuck than before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6218.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	366.2 KB
ID:	288079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6227.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	288080  

Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 PM   #4837
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
Tired of seeing the extra filiform white specs around and more under the ventline exhaust vent. (She was stored on west coast beach most of previous life). With some extra flexible molding wrap insert laying around from a recent full wrap around, decided to mitre a vent "frame" covering up most of the
surrounding filiform. Actually matches width and other trim nearby.

Original no, but less yuck than before.
Looks nice, yes... but the filiform is still there and will continue to grow until it's treated/removed and painted with clear coat.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #4838
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
What did I get for my trailer? A new axle!

Read about it here: http://www.utahredrock.com/2017/06/n...ic-manner.html
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:31 PM   #4839
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Looks nice, yes... but the filiform is still there and will continue to grow until it's treated/removed and painted with clear coat.
Heard from various AS dealers and JC nothing much can be done from most sources except Corrosion X. Turns it black and discoloration almost worse than before. Told If stripping clear, could mare most of area worse and allow oxidation inviting more of same.

Believe me, wanted a solution and if you or forum knows of one, please, LOVE to learn how! Thanks !
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #4840
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
Heard from various AS dealers and JC nothing much can be done from most sources except Corrosion X. Turns it black and discoloration almost worse than before. Told If stripping clear, could mare most of area worse and allow oxidation inviting more of same.

Believe me, wanted a solution and if you or forum knows of one, please, LOVE to learn how! Thanks !
Well, I've had excellent success using a air-die-grinder and a small 3M Scotch-Brite wheel (being careful to polish the area in the direction of the "grain" of the metal... usually horizontally.) After polishing the filiform out, wipe it with MEK or acetone, then protect it with automotive clear-coat found at autoparts stores or WalMart in a nail-polish type small bottle.

I've even cleaned up the boarding handle which so many complain of. (I'm out of town or I'd post a pic. The results are excellent and no further corrosion occurs at that spot.)

Filiform is caused when oxygen penetrates any protective covering. That covering might be composed of AlClad or Clearcoat or paint, etc. The edge of a sheet of 2024 such as used to construct an Airstream has an exposure to oxygen because the clearcoating was applied by Alcor when they supplied the sheets to AS, but the edges were CUT...and rivet-holes were drilled ...which exposes the aluminum edges to atmosphere.
The aircraft industry is quite familiar with filiform treatment and a common repair used in that industry (will not work for AS owners) is to treat the area with chromic acid then paint it. That treatment discolors the aluminum and would not work for this application, but polishing-away the filiform (which is only a superficial corrosion type on the surface) then protecting it from atmosphere with clearcoat will please you. Just be careful to determine the direction of the "grain" of the metal or you will end up with an area that appears more "polished" than that surrounding the treated area. (Still more attractive than rough, white-powdered aluminum spots.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote