Old 06-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #2759
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Me and Mrs. Utah Man got our AS a Q5 full of groceries, clothes, and campers. Nothing fancy, but should be good for a week or so; here we come Scenic Byway 12! 😊😊😊Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433551208.690470.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	240085

p.s. - the Q5 is not our TV.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #2760
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
A new comfortable mattress. WooHoo!

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1433552614.275046.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  60.3 KB

Old 06-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #2761
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echelon73 View Post
A new comfortable mattress. WooHoo!

Attachment 240086

Tell us details... This is next on our list!
1977 Overlander / 27' ~ The Attitude Adjuster
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #2762
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
Can I ask you about running the wire from your inverter? Did you plug into the outlet and then run the ext cord to the back, or did you somehow hard wire into the inverter and then run romex back? I have bought a xantrex 2000 prosine inverter and want to wire it directly to an outlet.

thank you!
The inverter should be located as close to the batteries as possible, with the appropriate fuse. You can use romex if you want for the feed to the outlet, but I prefer to use stranded wire. I used a contractor-grade 14/3 extension cord, cut off the female end and wired it to a new outlet in the closet, and plugged the male end into the outlet on the inverter.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #2763
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I never mind.

This is a Belkin 1-Outlet Energy Saving On/Off Switch. It's just so I can turn things individually on/off. Left overs from our house, I use them now when boondocking and the inverter is on. This will stop phantom draw.

They are $6.99 (ouch) a piece at home depot and way cheaper online.

-----------------

My newest purchase for the Airstream, I am very excited about. I purchased a Flow-Pur RV-Pro 10,000 water softener. This way I don't have to worry about mineral build up.

I just have to figure out a way to keep it from not getting stolen when in use.

Someone else here has that item set up in a chest with a pair of filters and a pressure regulator that does not restrict water volume. Said chest has lock and cable to one of the tires. Low key. Loads into pickup bed. Drains and shutoff valves on each. MexRay, maybe. A few years ago.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:27 AM   #2764
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
We recently purchased a Sea to Summit portable kitchen sink to assist with water http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...=1&o2=1&o3=194
The 10 liter size fits into sink nicely and the nifty little carry handles are great feature for carrying grey kitchen water into bathroom to empty into toilet.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 AM   #2765
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
Tell us details... This is next on our list!

We bought the mattress from a local CamperPedic dealer. They have four different lines of mattresses, but we liked the Cozy and Caress the best. The one pictured is the Cozy. Each one is custom made in Tennessee. They only do foam mattresses, but that was fine for us. We also looked at Denver mattresses, but they did not suit us. You can go to www.camperpedic.com to find a local dealer if you want to check them out.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:32 AM   #2766
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Mattress

Another thing you can do is build your own mattress. I have started the process. I purchased a new twin mattress when I got the AS but kept the older one on the other side. Now I am building one. I ordered a custom mattress cover with zipper from Mattress Insider. My home mattress is solid latex and fantastic. Nice thing too is that latex is a natural bug barrier. They want a lot of money for a custom latex mattress so I decided to buy a custom cover, coconut mat and latex mattress insert. I am on hold right now as I started a solar project but it is an option.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #2767
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Another thing you can do is build your own mattress.
We have done this. I purchased a 10 inch memory foam queen for our home about a year ago. We threw the Airstream crud mattress away when we bought the Airstream and just used our queen from home.

Now that I'm redoing the front area, I purchased two 6 inch memory foam mattresses again from Amazon. The price is hard to beat.

We took our Queen and pulled off the original 4 inch memory foam and placed it on the new twin to replace the 1.5 inches the it had. (The new twins have a lower quality memory foam. The 4 inches makes a difference.)

We used a turkey cutter to cut all our corners. And we are staying with in-laws, one of which is a professional seamstress and upholsterer. So getting covers done too. The foam mattresses are sandwiched together, so when you remove the covers, they come apart easily to work with.

All in all our mattress is 4.5 inch high density foam and 4 inches memory foam. 8 inch mattress now.

The twin's we used: Amazon.com - Sleep Master 6-Inch Smooth Top Therapeutic Memory Foam Mattress, Twin -

Aside* As a thought, the 6 inch memory foam mattress on Amazon is really cheap. You cannot buy high density foam for that price. We have considered buying two more twins to convert the foam to lounge/dinette cushions. You'd remove the memory foam and be left with HDF about the same height as the existing cushions.

---------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Someone else here has that item set up in a chest with a pair of filters and a pressure regulator that does not restrict water volume. Said chest has lock and cable to one of the tires. Low key. Loads into pickup bed. Drains and shutoff valves on each. MexRay, maybe. A few years ago.

Thanks I'll search for that.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #2768
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
We threw the Airstream crud mattress away when we bought the Airstream
Love it. Yeah, both of mine were really soft. I kept only the better of the two and got a new one but now it is getting closer to a replacement on that one. Soon.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #2769
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My current mattress is horribly uncomfortable. It was custom made for the previous owners. Split down the top side middle one side is hard as a rock and the other side is so soft that body parts go right thru to the plywood. I have a couple full sized 10 inch memory foam mattresses saved in my shopping cart on Amazon. The Sleep Master looks like the best deal, highest consistant reviews and best price.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #2770
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Paul , Minnesota
LED Light search

I finally found some LED lights that I like. I've tried some from Amazon but they didn't look like the original halogen recessed lights. Finally tried a light I found at Menard's. Looks a lot like the original in both brightness and color (might be a tad brighter). The pics show the LED light in the center. The other lights are the original halogen. Can't really see much difference. They do require 2.25 watts but that is a 75% savings and they are cool to the touch. So far I am very happy. I had to clip about 3/16 of an inch off the wires to get them to fit in the socket but not a big project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	240138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	240139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	240140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	240141  

2007 Safari SE 25' FB
beez506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #2771
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykabyka View Post
Just got a set of Magma cookware to add to my Airstream hope chest. Seriously, adding to the chest a bit at a time keeps me from going insane until we can actually get the trailer!
We did this. The "hunt" for items was the fun part. But the adventure begins when you get the AS!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 AM   #2772
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
After the 25FB arrived and we spent one night in it, we knew the Airstream mattresses were not so good. We ordered the 8" version from Rocky Mountain mattress made to the Airstream pattern and all was well for fit into the space and sleeping.

In fact, when the Classic was built, I had them keep the twin bed mattresses at the factory and had twin 8" Rocky Mountain mattresses awaiting the trailer arrival. We will probably upgrade to the 10" some day and add 4" of length to better fit the space.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote