Old 08-06-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, it's now done!

We finally picked up a more robust tow vehicle last night. Found and took delivery of a new 2004 Suburban LT 2500 4x4. For the towing enthusiasts it has:

G80 locking diff
4l80e trans
Tow/Haul
Trailer pkg
8600 GVWR rating
4.10 gears
9500ish lb. tow rating

Now I know this next one can be a topic of discussion, but I went with the 6.0L. One big reason was that the gas mileage on the 8.1L, let's just say that it might not be able to not stop at any gas station it passes. This one can do every other gas statation in comparision.

We considered the pickup route seriously, but felt that as time goes on, and if children ever arrive (and pets), that the 'ol Burb was the right mix for both current and future needs (as I don't go out buying cars every 4-5 years--I drive them till there isn't too much left).

One thing that I found interesting is that the hitch now has a hitch weight capability of 1500lbs. That I seem to recall is up from the 1200lbs I thought I saw on my pop's '00 2500 Silverado.

Towing, with 4.10s is rated in the middle 9000lb range minus gear, passengers, etc. So well within what we will have with us, our stuff and the Safari SS (and any possible Airstream upgrades it the future).

Now I have to start to modify the the truck to a Suburban "SS"!

I was a bit reluctant to get an XM sat radio, OnStar and all that junk, but after being in the truck for a little bit, found that the XM is really a neat gadget. OnStar seems neat, but strange that big bro can always find ya.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know that we practice what we preach.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:22 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Twink! Cool! You won't even know that Safari is behind you! Now the hard part......getting through the break in period before you can tow, and the break in during tow....good thing Illinois has that 55 mph limit. If I'm not wrong on my van it was 500 miles before I could tow, and the first 500 miles of towing not to exceed 55 mph.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
wow! neato torpedo!....did you get blondstar also?.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Hey, Congrats Eric! I can hardly wait to see it!

Roger
Old 08-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks all!

I've been very careful with my right foot. Two reasons, one, the break in period and second, the further I press, the faster it goes...the money in my wallet!

Blondstar came with it as part of the LT pkg. I prob won't be towing with it until September as I break it in, change the fluids and add mud flaps.

Just in case, something were to happen, it also has the rear DVD to help soften any future "are we there yets"?

I'll post some pics here in a few days.

Looks like the Corvette dream will have to wait until my midlife crisis.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Congrats! So was picking it up as easy as just walking across the street?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Actually, the K2500 is a somewhat rare beast. Instead of getting into dealer trades, etc, I went straight to the dealer that had it and horse traded there. After it was all said and done, it wound up with rebates to be similar to buying an Airstream (18%-20% off list). I felt that if a dealer trade got into the mix, the price increase, though slight made it worth driving 50 miles to go get it.

You know as I finished typing this, I just realized I had surfed 3 websites for performance parts for this thing. First order is to get the GM/AC Delco UPF-44 oil filters for it. Use the UPF-52s in the Impala SS. Better flow and filtration than the standard AC delco PF-44 and PF-52. I highly recommend the UPF line to anyone who can find one for their car...they are that good!

You can take the car nut away from the car, but you can't take the car out of the car nut I suppose.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hey Eric.

Congratulations on the new house hauler.

I was at Autobarn getting a 30k on the the Euro, and spent most of my time licking the door handles of the V8 Touregs that they had, some with the factory installed hitch and seven way plug. They'd give me 25k for the van, but I'd have to come up with 32k in change. This being for the delux-premium-gold-super-xtra package, most of which I don't need. The air suspension is coo, though.

Just curious if you considered the T-reg. Obviously not the room as the Burb.

Drive safely, and under 54mph.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 08-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I didn't consdier the T, though I do feel it is a great vehicle, I felt that anything above 22' for the T is a bit much for it. Coming from the Impala SS that was taken by the Safari by about 1000lbs. I can tell you first hand, without question, there were times when the trailer drove the car. That is NOT a fun place to be at 55-62mph.

IMHO, sometimes there isn't a subsititue for displacement and density. I respect that some others disagree, but for my comfort level and piece of mind, I went 3/4. It will be nice not to have to watch the loads we put into the Safari now. All I need are the 2 way radios to backup and I think most of our camping difficulties will be behind us so that we can enjoy the vacation instead of managing it.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Congrats Eric

Great sounding ride, and I know you'll love it even more once you personalize it a little.

Just out of curiosity what color did you get? Does it match the stream?

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Thumbs up nice setup!

Great choice. I really like the drivetrain on the K2500's, especially the 4L80E tranny - it is one stout box and I like the ratios better than the 4R100 I have now in my F250. The overdrive ratio on the 4L80 is better for towing, at .75 instead of .71, which can make the difference between OD and 3rd sometimes. The 6.0 is also a great motor. Enjoy the experience!

john
Old 08-06-2004, 09:53 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The color is silver birch metallic. It was that, black or white. There were only approx 15 in the 60 mile area.

I agree the 4l80e is a great trans. Not the Allision I thought I'd be getting, but a very strong trans. I've got about 1000 miles and a few oil changes (motor, rear, trans, etc) to change once it's broken in. Then I can actually see what it can do.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Filtermag

Twink,
Check out www.filtermag.com for a little added insurance for your engine. I put one of the RA 365 series on my Amsoil SDF15 full flow filters. My '01 2500hd ext. cab with 8.1 just ran out of the 3 yr. warranty period with 34555 miles on it and she is running just as good as the day she was driven home. Next modification is a Wester's PCM for added mpg and performance. That GM torque management sure takes some of the performance out of the 8.1/Allison combination.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
Twink,
Check out www.filtermag.com for a little added insurance for your engine. I put one of the RA 365 series on my Amsoil SDF15 full flow filters. Next modification is a Wester's PCM for added mpg and performance. That GM torque management sure takes some of the performance out of the 8.1/Allison combination.
Hey Craig,
THis is the first time I've heard of a magnet for a oil filter. But it does make sense. Wonder how it'd work on a hi mileage 454 w/ 140K miles? I bookmarked the site and noted it's $120 for the RA and $50 for the SS.

Any major difference? I'd guess the magnet is larger....

Steve in Sav'h