Old 08-08-2003, 08:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
re:

thanx john...you still evaded the servel question..... i pretty much figured the inside fan would help somewhat, also the number of times you dont open de do helps.....dont you know....
and also 87...seals are important....i wouldnt run with the lp on (in which case if you did you wouldnt need the backside fan...johns reply seems to cinch...warm weather camping go with the fan...cold weather....why bother.....
norby....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Re: re:

Quote:
Originally posted by norbert
thanx john...you still evaded the servel question.....
norby....
Actually, I don't know whether I ever saw a Servel.

We had ice boxes and went from them to an electric box with a great big coil on the top. I have no idea who the manufacturer was; maybe it was Servel. It held all of 3 ice cube trays, so we had to ration cubes in hot weather for our family of 5.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:07 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have always added an exterior fan to my units. They do make a difference. I had added a large 2.4 inch CPU fan in the 76 Argosy. In the 78 I built a bracket and am intsalling 3 old computer power supply fans. Total draw about 1.25 amps. They will be right under the upper cooling fins. I should have no cooling issues with the fridge no matter the ambient temp.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:09 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I know we've discussed this before, but I'm still having a hard time picturing where exactly you are putting these fans and where they are blowing to (or on). Please try to make it obvious for me if possible I can get my hands on computer fans easy, and I'd love to have to worry about my lettuce freezing - so far that hasn't been in issue!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Fans

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
I know we've discussed this before, but I'm still having a hard time picturing where exactly you are putting these fans and where they are blowing to (or on). Please try to make it obvious for me if possible I can get my hands on computer fans easy, and I'd love to have to worry about my lettuce freezing - so far that hasn't been in issue!
The inside fan is one I bought from Camping World (most RV places have it). It runs on 2 D-cells that usually last me about a season. I place it on the bottom of the refringerator and make sure there is some clear space above it so the air can circulate.

If you look at the back of your refrigerator, you will see a finned radiator near the top of the back. The outside fan needs to move air through those fins. The fan can be above or below the fins, blowing upward. It doesn't need to move a whole lot of air; the refrigerator is designed to work on the thermal currents caused by the hot air rising. Any fan moves more air than the thermal currents.

My refrigerator doesn't have a roof vent, so the outside fan simply blows air out of the upper louvers.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2003, 10:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
By the way

I just looked at today's weather on the net. We set a new record for July ... 110 degrees at Camp mabry in Austin. Probably a couple of degrees cooler out there in the hills, but not very much cooler. My 4 tons of AC was running continuously in late afternoon.

Thanks to the rain, it is pretty nice out there at the moment.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-08-2003, 10:26 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Stephanie,

Attached are pictures of the fans I built and a side view of the top back of a rv refer.

Fans
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p8090064.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2577  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 08-08-2003, 10:26 PM   #22
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Wher I designed the fans to go:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p8090066.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	2578  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2003, 06:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Stephanie,

Attached are pictures of the fans I built and a side view of the top back of a rv refer.

Fans
You should probably try either wiring the fans in series or use a dropping resistor. All that is needed is a gentle breeze across the fins; after all, they were designed to work with only thermal currents. Even a small fan breeze is many times the air movement of the intended thermal currents.

I have 4 2" fans that I bought, with giant heat sinks, for $1 each. I have been considering a similar array with pairs of the 2" fans (sans heat sinks) in series so that each fan will be running on 6V. They are absolutely silent paralleled in this way and together, move plenty of air.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-09-2003, 08:08 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
re: fans

brett g.
most excellent design!!!

John,

my feeble old mind is having a problem comprehending your electrical design..with the fans in parallel you would need a resistor to drop the voltage to 6..would not the amp draw increase??? like kinda a mini brownout?....
norby.

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:11 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Question

John what BTU is you AC unit? Just wondering.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:20 AM   #26
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
They are not loud now on 12 V, but when I was cannabilizing the Computer Power supplies I took them from I only had a 9 volt source. At 9 volts they were all but silent, the noisy ones got trashed.

I normally install the fans with a switch that contains a telltale to let me know they are on. I run them in the heat of the day when the refer is likley to be struggling. If they need to be run there is no way that those little fans will be heard over the noise my Armstrong AC makes

Norbert,

The thrid time is the charm, I have played with diffrent mounting systems and I decided I was going to go all out this time while I had the refer out. Much easier to work on this kind of project when you have room
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brett, that is a pretty cool design. Is your fridge unit one that vents to the top?

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:30 AM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Yep,

Standard 70's style. The ivory at the top of the photo is the bottom end of the flue. I figure more air movement will increase the cooling power on those hot summer days we get here in FL. Any additional air movement helps in my experience.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49