Old 05-12-2004, 07:02 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
I thought the light weight came from the fact that it is 3/16 inch thick instead of the readily available 1/4 inch stuff.
That plays a part in it too, along with all of the aluminum extrusions and the like. The "bins" under the front gaucho on mine are made out of thin aluminum sheet I would guess .024" haven't actually put a mic on it. Then you have a thin plastic tub that slides in, and they are very light weight. The same type of construction is also used for the storage under the beds too. If you want to have fun weigh a sheet of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood and a sheet of CDX sheathing. The CDX is heavier due to the grade of veneers used. The PT's boats of WW II were made of plywood, very light weight and strong for it's weight.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
yea. veneer core plywood it was. The guy I bought my Caravel from was retired from his business of making display cases for trade shows and told me to call around for it. My kitchen cabinets are made from it, very light very strong. Not a home depot item.

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search