Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Website is slow now

Okay, my computer is 8 years old. But it still handles all the other forums I use and ebay and even Comcast email. But the overhead here has become so high (the popup videos added to each post) that the site is just difficult and not fun to surf. I guess the priciple is load it up until it breaks and then maybe back off a little. I find I am currently skiipping checking this site more and more because of the difficulty.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Hmmm, videos? I don't have any of them showing.

8 years old is, well, old for a computer! without know exactly what machine you have, or the state of install it is really hard to help. But I will try:

What browser are you using?
Have you tried installing ABP to block adverts?
https://adblockplus.org

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Mine is two years old, no issues with any forum. Have you tried closing down completely and restarting? Doing this on a regular basis helps. AS my son says who is an IT person, "that's why there is an on off switch".
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
On balance the site is the slowest site of all those I use and thus I use it less than before. It is the cost of monetizing a site without upgrading the server capacity.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Ha!

Funny you mention that. I JUST sent a note questioning the use of in-post advertisements. I started and ran a boating board for 14 yrs before selling it.
We were completely user supported with zero advertisements. It was, and is still nowhere near as large a user sub as this board, so I can see the need for advertising here. Server space t'aint cheap. Yeah I get AS forums having ads above, below and on the sides of the board, but in-post? I complain very little to anyone in my life. I've gotten much further down the road by doing that. But in this case, I think that's a bit overboard on the ads IMHO. In-post ads just takes it a bit too far. Not trying to stir the pot, but as a paying subscriber, I do feel my voice should be heard.
And now I will slink back to my corner and keep me mouth shut. Just sayin'...
Gavin
Old 03-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It works OK on my 5-6 year old PC, but we have inline internet-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use mobile broadband exclusively, and this site has drastically slowed since the video and sidebar ads were added a couple of weeks ago. Some Web pages load so slowly that they time out, and I have started getting error messages. Not sure, but I think data usage has also increased due to the videos that can't be stopped from loading and running, which is a problem for us.

This problem is so bad that I have begun skipping posts and threads that load too slowly or time out. Then, I try later, hoping different static ads will be loaded instead of videos.

While I know AirForums probably needs the ad revenue, I wish there was some way to opt out of the video ads. Slow load times and errors are a great detraction from this otherwise great Website.

I hope the administrators are monitoring this thread and someone sees all of the negative comments.

Does anyone use an adblocker that doesn't also slow their PC?
Old 03-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
Funny you mention that. I JUST sent a note questioning the use of in-post advertisements. I started and ran a boating board for 14 yrs before selling it.
We were completely user supported with zero advertisements. It was, and is still nowhere near as large a user sub as this board, so I can see the need for advertising here. Server space t'aint cheap. Yeah I get AS forums having ads above, below and on the sides of the board, but in-post? I complain very little to anyone in my life. I've gotten much further down the road by doing that. But in this case, I think that's a bit overboard on the ads IMHO. In-post ads just takes it a bit too far. Not trying to stir the pot, but as a paying subscriber, I do feel my voice should be heard.
And now I will slink back to my corner and keep me mouth shut. Just sayin'...
Gavin

The feedback is useful to hear - so thanks

The in post ads have been in place for a long time. They only display when not logged in. This is encouragement to register and log in and helps sustain the board.

regarding slowdowns... On friday mornings we do regular server maintenance and the board is extra slow while that's in progress - usually early in the morning (eastern time). This is a weekly event and usually lasts about 30 minutes. If you sleep in you should avoid it entirely

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
"The in post ads have been in place for a long time. They only display when not logged in. This is encouragement to register and log in and helps sustain the board."

==========

This statement was true until a couple of weeks ago. Now, all of the ads that "guests" view are still displayed after members login; and there is no difference in the screens members see.

Below is the error message I see when a really slow screen times out. I just got this a minute or two ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzAirForums - Pages Unresponsive - Error screen capture.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	235033  
Old 03-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Here are typical GUEST and MEMBER screens showing ads (first/top screen is before login, and second/bottom screen is after login):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzzAirForums_typical Guest screen.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	235034   Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzAirForums_typical Member screen.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	235035  

Old 03-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
"The in post ads have been in place for a long time. They only display when not logged in. This is encouragement to register and log in and helps sustain the board."

==========

This statement was true until a couple of weeks ago. Now, all of the ads that "guests" view are still displayed after members login; and there is no difference in the screens members see.

Below is the error message I see when a really slow screen times out. I just got this a minute or two ago.
No - really those ads in posts don't show when you are logged in. If they are I suspect that you are being logged out at page changes.. Next time you see an ad in a post please scroll up and see if you can still see the welcome message in the top corner. It should look like this but display your username (not mine)

Name:	air_welcome.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	235036

If you don't see this you have been logged off. The most common reason for this is that folks routinely block cookies and we use them to keep you logged in at page changes. Perhaps you have a new security protocol on your system or have made other changes recently that might have impacted this?

If you still want to block cookie handling for other sites you should be able to add an exclusion to your browser settings to allow the ones from us. This may also speed up pages loads as well.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Some browsers (like Firefox) allow you to manage your add ons, like Adobe Flash. You can change the settings to 'ask to activate'. For those ads that use flash to show you small videos, have twirly things or other annoying eye-catchers, they won't play unless you click on the "allow" button in the middle of the ad.

Of course, you now have to click to allow Flash for any window and not all flashy ads use Adobe Flash, some are just animated GIFs and you can't get around those, but then they don't use bandwidth like the videos do.

If your browser is Firefox, under the Tools toolbar button is 'Add-ons'. Select it and set things to 'ask to activate' so you can get a better feel of what's really necessary. When it pops up, you get a choice of "allow now" and "always allow" or something like that. Allow now turns it on for just that one instance. Always allow changes the setting to be enabled and won't ask again.

Internet Explorer will allow you to disable add-ons, but no settings to ask you if you want to start it.
---------------------------------------------
With older computers, the processor speed isn't up to snuff and usually not a multi-core (quad processor). The machine isn't any slower than before (unless you have a virus or malware / adware) but advertisements are developed on newer machines and they have a lot more power and speed. What's normal for them will be painfully slow for you.

The biggest bang for you buck is to upgrade your memory to the maximum. If your hard drives aren't SATA that's another possibility but you'd have to upgrade the mother board for the faster bus.

Personally, I think you need to bite the bullet, it's time for a new toy. You'll never get your investment back from your old PC.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Here's the top menu bar that shows I'm still logged in.

FYI, my PC is a Lenovo G770 laptop with i5 microprocessor and 6GB of RAM. OS is Windows7, and browser is Google Chrome.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zzzAirForums_Menu bar.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	235037  
Old 03-27-2015, 01:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Phoenix's experience matches mine. I see those inline ads, too, and I'm still logged in, too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote