Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2004, 05:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Sad but True

OK, here's the embarassing part....Because I am young, and liked to spend a LOT of money when I received those first credit cards at 18, I am still under the wrath of REALLY LOW CREDIT LIMITS!!!! The only credit card they were able to get ahold of was the one issued by the bank. So luckily they are handling ALL of it. Best part is, there was only about $50 left on the CC.

Normally the checking accts. would have had much less money in them, but the money for the Overlander Rehab was in there.

I live paycheck to paycheck, which I have always hated, until it brought me three airstreams that I couldn't afford....LOL

Everytime I hit financial trouble, I think.....I could sell the Safari.....NO!!! I need that to live in when I loose the house!!!!

I'm just kidding, really, but it does cross my mind to sell the house to pay off all of the airstreams.....

You guys have all been fantastic. I had a long day today, and it's so awesome to come home and find so many supportive Messages. I have to PM a couple of you about things that I didn't realize I needed to do, but I think I am taking the rest of the night off of this computer, and my finances, and what I'm going to live off of for hte next two weeks, etc.

OH!!!! So I left the house this morning, after all this happened, and realized i was going to have to pay cash for gas..... It's the FIRST time it's hit me how high gas prices are....$1.99/gallon in hte city....HOLY CRAP!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Ron
Old 05-07-2004, 05:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Ouch!

I'm sorry to see what they did to you and agree with some that they will get away with it until they slip up. When caught they will never get what they have coming to them, a bullet between the eyes AFTER they make restitution. In the last year I have had PayPal and Yahoopaydirect as me to update my account info which I would not do. They both asked me to become verified by listing a savings or checking account # and my sixth sense told me it was none of their business. I guess I was right.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Our local Internet Service Provider sent all their customers several warning concerning PayPal and the ebay scam. I am located in central Texas in a rual community and everyone try's to take care of everyone else. Being out in the middle of no where does have its benifits. I agree with several of the writers, I only give my information out via landline and to a company that I call. I am a retired mainframe computer operator and I do not trust them. Customer beware!
fbaileysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #24
Craftsman

Ron,
I'm sure by now that you've heard it from everyone, but I'll say it one more time: don't ever even open an email form someone that you dont recognize delete it and never never never give your personal information to anyone emailing you asking for it. When my credit card information was stolen ,on a "secure" site,the police and FBI in the U,S. and the authorities in the U.K.both said that they can't and won't do anything about it. It's just not a priorty. Bigger fish to fry. These theives know it so they operate with impunity, and most never get caught. They jusdt make your life miserable.
Jack
Old 05-07-2004, 09:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Ron,
So sorry I recieved that same email from Ebay but had been warned by my internet server also... so I sent a copy of the email directly to Ebay and Paypal...which they confirmed was fradulent. I was lucky. It's a sad fact of the times we live in. I buy my AS parts from Andy online, and never worry but I also buy other hard to find items online with a CC. I try to choose sites I feel are secure like well-known companies but it could happen , I take that chance as we all do anytime we use our CC anywhere. It's tough, don't let it get you down Ron. Thank goodness your bank is going the extra distance for you ... someone has to huh? Wish I was close enough to bring over dinner for ya. Hang in there.
Mindy WBCCI #5672
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:45 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I buy stuff online all the time - no choice really because the shopping opportunities out here are pretty limited. We've never had a problem with it. It never hurts to be cautious though. There have been times that I bought stuff from Amazon even though I found it cheaper at Joe's Clearance Shack, just because I thought Joe seemed a little shady, and I trust Amazon not to lose my card information. Who knows, maybe Joe was ok, and Amazon is actually more in danger of being hacked and having my card stolen, but it made me feel safer.

One thing I know for sure, on the couple occasions where someone has tricked us into selling them something with a stolen card (we have additional safetys in place now, so that hasn't happened in a while), VISA yanks that money back out of our merchant account. I don't see why a cardholder would be responsible for even $50, because it's not like the merchant gets his money and VISA absorbs the loss. The merchant is the one who takes the hit. VISA's only cost is handling it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 10:50 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I don't see why a cardholder would be responsible for even $50, because it's not like the merchant gets his money and VISA absorbs the loss.
Most credit card companies won't even charge the $50. Federal law states that they can if they wish.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Sorry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
OK, here's the embarassing part....Because I am young, and liked to spend a LOT of money when I received those first credit cards at 18, I am still under the wrath of REALLY LOW CREDIT LIMITS!!!! The only credit card they were able to get ahold of was the one issued by the bank. So luckily they are handling ALL of it. Best part is, there was only about $50 left on the CC.
Normally the checking accts. would have had much less money in them, but the money for the Overlander Rehab was in there.
I live paycheck to paycheck, which I have always hated, until it brought me three airstreams that I couldn't afford....LOL
Everytime I hit financial trouble, I think.....I could sell the Safari.....NO!!! I need that to live in when I loose the house!!!!
I'm just kidding, really, but it does cross my mind to sell the house to pay off all of the airstreams.....
You guys have all been fantastic. I had a long day today, and it's so awesome to come home and find so many supportive Messages. I have to PM a couple of you about things that I didn't realize I needed to do, but I think I am taking the rest of the night off of this computer, and my finances, and what I'm going to live off of for hte next two weeks, etc.
OH!!!! So I left the house this morning, after all this happened, and realized i was going to have to pay cash for gas..... It's the FIRST time it's hit me how high gas prices are....$1.99/gallon in hte city....HOLY CRAP!!!!
Thanks again!!!!
Ron
Ron,
I'm sorry to learn of this~(I must admit that when I first saw the title, I passed it over and, it wasn't until I open'd it that, I then realized what had happen'd to you.. )
You're so very lucky to be able to recover from this with no more damage than what you described~
Sometime you get a chance, send me a PM...I've outline a course of defense on my puter that I'll share with you..Nothing beats that first line of defense and, now you know what that one is..
Thanks for sharing your information..btw, don'tever sell your unit~!!
Again, Good Luck in the outcome~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 12:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
not so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlassie
Ron,
Wish I was close enough to bring over dinner for ya. Hang in there.
You have an a/s....you could roll it out behind the Overlander and make me breakfast lunch and dinner....Distance is NOT an excuse....LOL

My investor aunt sent a nice email regarding this issue, with a nice little...So when IS the Overlander going to be done so we can sell it on Ebay???

What part of THEY TOOK EVERY DIME I OWN don't you understand?????

Sorry, had to vent.

Ron
Old 05-08-2004, 06:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Your aunt sounds like a gem. See how lucky you are?

Keep smilin', Ron, we need your spirit and sense of humor around here!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 07:43 AM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
[QUOTE=jaco
I have tried at 3 different banks that I do business with to aquire a credit card with only a 300 dollar limit. No way they will do that for me. The least I have been offered is 1850.00 line of credit.
I only want the low-ball to use on line. I figure if I get scammed it can only do some SOB 300.00 worth. Of course the banks don't agree. I think I was offered a 350 dollar card when I was a Freshman in college, no credit history and no job. I didn't take it but often wished I had.
[/QUOTE]

Why not get a prepaid MasterCard? There is only as much on it as you put on it.
I have one I use for online transactions, if the bad guys get hold of it the absolute worst is they get whatever is left on the card after your last purchase.
Terry
Old 05-08-2004, 08:30 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Why not get a prepaid MasterCard? There is only as much on it as you put on it.
I have one I use for online transactions, if the bad guys get hold of it the absolute worst is they get whatever is left on the card after your last purchase.
Terry
Thanks Terry I never heard of such a thing. None of the banks mentioned it either, and I jawboned two of em quite a while. I get hundreds of credit card offers but I just rip em open check the rate and trash em.
I use CC for almost all transactions, only write about 12 checks a month now. Of course three to the CC folks. Pay all in full each month and avoid the charges. I would not have a debit card and have had to scold banks for issueing me them several times. I also won't write a check where they scan it and hand it back to me. I am no fan of electronic banking.

I'll look into the prepaid cards asap.

Now give me an idea of the cost of a 300 or 500 dollar prepaid. Obviously they have to make something, or do they just deduct it from the seller when I use the thing? Does Visa and AmEx and Discover do the same?

What ever happened to Carte Blanche card I wonder?
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco

What ever happened to Carte Blanche I wonder?

You know, I heard she died.....what a shame....LOL
Old 05-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

RIP Blanche,

I guess I should have known. Its a wonder she lived as long as she did, what with all the things she did on that cart she pushed. Always wondered why she didn't just get an Airstream like Xaviera Overlander or at least a Painted Wagon like Jean Seberg nee Elizabeth.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Ron, The spirit is willing... the AS could roll but afraid I wouldn't make it to Ohio. Lassie is AWIP (a work in progress) with a few more months of intense work before she sees the asphalt. If Luke our dog had his way he would pull it ... afterall Wally pulled one with a bicycle right? The beauty of our Airstreams is that they will be waiting...till we get the money to fix them. Silly but I bought a vent cover that was expensive for us to celebrate the day we bought her...seem to be doing that a lot lately. I am graduating from college this week and I am already planning on how I am going to spend my gift money on the AS. Guess I'm hooked. Enjoy looking at all your pics and the cool things you are doing with your AS(s). Saving an Airstream is a good days work. Better days ahead.
Mindy WBCCI #5672
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote