Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Mill Valley , California
We rolled our 06 28 CCD

I want to share some sad news. On my way home from my birthday trip to my daughter Kristin's in Seattle and the San Juan Islands, my girlfriend June and I had an accident on I-5 at Mount Shasta and rolled our 06 28 CCD Airstream "Arabesque". June was driving, we passed a semi on a moderate downhill, hit the side draft, continued to gain speed and started to fishtail. In the panic of the moment, I forgot to reach across and activate the trailer brake - regular braking just made things worse.

Arabesque spun us around and rolled on her side, then righted herself coming to rest on the shoulder. 3 semis stopped behind us on the freeway and formed a safety screen until the CHP arrived with flares. We're shaken, upset but physically OK - a miracle that there are no injuries, the truck had $8500 damage to the rear but was drivable and the trailer is totaled. We took 4 hours the next day and emptied everything out and left her in a wrecking yard in Weed. I was planning to move in December 1 for a trial at living in her full time.

A full month later, she has been hauled to my dealer (Toscano RV) and my insurance has agreed with the service manager that she is not repairable. We're still waiting for information from State Farm as to how she will be replaced. 6 months old in pristine condition, I am curious to see how they will try to "replace" her

I want to encourage you all to practice using your emergency trailer brake so that it becomes an automatic reflex. When an accident happens, our normal thinking stops and we need to rely on practiced reflexive behavior.
David Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
David, our hearts are with you. That is truly a beautiful trailer, and we hope you are able to get the compensation you need to replace her. Grateful that you are both ok, but very sad for your loss, and the trauma you experienced.
We'll take your words to heart, and practice emergency procedures and maneuvers.
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
David and June,
The trailer can be replaced and the truck can be repaired. The important thing here is that nobody was hurt.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I'm so sorry,
And glad you're all ok

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thtat's awful about the Airstream, but great news that ya'll were not hurt. You are 100 percent correct about practicing with the manual control on the trailer brake. I try to use it regularly to get a good feel for it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Curious if you're comfortable sharing more information on your configuration for learning purposes. what type of hitch? stock drums vs. disc brakes on trailer? road condition? weather condition? gas vs. diesel truck? if diesel, using exhaust brake on downhill or free wheeling? thanks in advance and glad to hear that everyone walked away!
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
It's good to hear you and June are OK. A real shame about your new A/S though. We've been w/State Farm a number of years now and they have been very good to us with regard to claims, including 3 rather large ones. I hope you will have a positive experience with replacement and are ready to go again soon.

Best of luck,
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
David,
I live in Dunsmuir and saw the aftermath of your accident - that is I saw the trailer in the road and the semi's parked around.

I was going up the hill from Dunsmuir to Mount Shasta. My first impulse was to turn around and come to help but I could see that you had plenty of help and didn't want to add to the turmoil.

It was clear from what I saw that there were no serious injuries - the most important thing of course. That is a bad hill as the long down grade with the curve makes it easy to get going too fast - I wouldn't want to try to control a swaying trailer on that hill.

Sorry that mis-fortune had to strike you in our neck of the woods.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Been there Done something simular. I know how it feels.
The truck and trailer can be repaired/replaced. Glad you are all ok.
I hope you have as good luck with State Farm as I did. They were quick in letting me know what they could do for me, my financial obligations, thierr obligations. They paid fast. I got the check for my truck within a week after totaling and the check for my trailer came in three days.
The amount for my truck was fair. The amount for my trailer was what I needed minus the deductable.
Interestingly enough the Reese guy on VAP 32 said the trailer brakes are not to be used for sway control. In a panic you could lock them up and make the situation worse.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Interestingly enough the Reese guy on VAP 32 said the trailer brakes are not to be used for sway control. In a panic you could lock them up and make the situation worse.
Been there, done that back when I delivered travel trailers. Was used to using the manual brake controller to stop sway just starting, but got 'em locked an sliding around one day on wet pavement.

David, I'm very sorry for your loss... but sure glad I'm saying that about "things" and not loved ones!
Old 12-12-2006, 05:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Very moving tale, Thankfully your all OK. Hope in the end, it all turns out better for you...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Ouch! Glad you're both o.k.
Ask any pilot (and there are a bunch here) about emergency procedures. They are ingrained in our primary training and also when we change aircraft types. Each and every pilot operating handbook comes with a section on EP. Helicopter pilots are the best at this as they fly with the assumption that very, very soon something is going to go wrong in flight.
It's one thing to drive your TV and not feel like you're pulling anything, but being prepared can save your life at best, your prized possessions at least.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #13
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostream
Curious if you're comfortable sharing more information on your configuration for learning purposes. what type of hitch? stock drums vs. disc brakes on trailer? road condition? weather condition? gas vs. diesel truck? if diesel, using exhaust brake on downhill or free wheeling? thanks in advance and glad to hear that everyone walked away!
I was wondering the same thing, according to Davids profile it was an 06 Tundra

According to Edmonds.com
Cons Lacks serious brawn for towing and hauling, narrow cabin, mediocre seat comfort. At the end of the day, the Tundra still isn't as big and strong as the domestic trucksMaximum

Towing Capacity:6800 lbs.
Payload 1800

Note according to the AS site this TT weight is 7300

I hope he posts again with other info you asked about.

What is most interesting is it rolled and righted itself.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:58 AM   #14
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
David,
So glad June and you were OK.

Hope to shake your hand at Burnstream Court 07.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I agree with others in that the trailer can be replaced and you cannot. You also learned a valuable lesson in that you know that you need more practice on emergency situations, and this may help you from bearing witness to the same thing again.

Steve
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The one thing I will not do. Go fast down hill. 45-50 max. I keep it slow is safe. If things go bad I have mre time to correct the problem.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
David, I am very sorry to hear about your accident, I am glad that you both were able to walk away from it.

I have two obersvations that I'd like to share.

First, this is a prime example of why folks need the right gear for the job. Outisde of any brake controllers, hitch setups, etc, straight out of the gate, looking at the Toyota site, your Tundra exceeded it's tow capacity by a fair margin (GVWR of the trailer, plus passengers and cargo). Most folks follow an 80% of capacity, particularly when using a 1/2 ton for what a 3/4 tom should really be doing). In reality, the coach drove the Tundra and not the other way around. Not that one needs to have a 10,000lb truck to tow a 7300 lb RV, but the Tacoma is rated at about 7100lbs (and that's being generous). It weighs about 4500lbs and is a 1/2 ton pickup. It lacks upgraded brakes, hubs, trans and differential.

Second, I'm also curious to know the hitch setup. Friction sway, dual cam, Hensely. Additionally brake controller and how much exp June had towing a 7300lb coach that was 28' long?

My whole point is that hindsight is always 20/20, but this might have been avoidable, if but nothing else, having a TV that had not exceeded it's tow rating. One thing according to my State Farm rep, when I asked him this question:

What would happen if i totaled my rig and say I had exceeded the manufacs rating and didn't use all the proper gear-- either one or both?

His response was, "we'd pay it, but we'd either drop you afterward or your rates would triple or quadruple." His words, not mine.

Glad you are both safe. The hardware can be replaced.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
David another, "sorry to hear it", to you folks. I'm sure you knew you would get a lot of "If you had done this or that's" as well as sympathy when you posted this. I for one thank you for posting knowing criticism would come. Your point out several things that will help us all. 1st of all it shows just how quick things can happen. One monent everything is "hunky dorry" , the next you can be on your top. Yours seems to be like most I've read about, in that not any one thing being the cause ,but more a culmination of things that all added up at the same place and time. No need to list then as I know you have rehearst this a million times over by now. But for the rest of us you post is a good reminder to never let our guard down on any item when it comes to towing. Pay attention to details, details ,details. Thanks again for posting details.---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
So Sorry to hear about your experience.We Spun and Rolled (3 times) our last TV Ford 150 4x4.It was snowing and all that stuff,had it in 4wheel.After a while the road look nice clear and Black so I turned off 4x4. Yep, it was Black Ice. A second later all Heck Happened.Thank Goodness we alway's use our seat Belt's.We were all OK. I hope your both O.K. We wish you the Best!!!
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh Wow!

First - so sorry about the accident.
Second - so sorry about shooting the messenger.

Perhaps people should wait until the facts come in first..... people do buy new stuff and forget to update their avaitars and profiles....

I wish you success in finding a new RV, and continuing on your travels! I hope your wife continues to enjoy the road too.

On reflection.... I knew your name sounded familiar. I've seen you advertised in Airstream Life. Here's some goodwill for the future!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote