Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I agree with others in that the trailer can be replaced and you cannot. You also learned a valuable lesson in that you know that you need more practice on emergency situations, and this may help you from bearing witness to the same thing again.

soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
The one thing I will not do. Go fast down hill. 45-50 max. I keep it slow is safe. If things go bad I have mre time to correct the problem.

Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 AM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
David, I am very sorry to hear about your accident, I am glad that you both were able to walk away from it.

I have two obersvations that I'd like to share.

First, this is a prime example of why folks need the right gear for the job. Outisde of any brake controllers, hitch setups, etc, straight out of the gate, looking at the Toyota site, your Tundra exceeded it's tow capacity by a fair margin (GVWR of the trailer, plus passengers and cargo). Most folks follow an 80% of capacity, particularly when using a 1/2 ton for what a 3/4 tom should really be doing). In reality, the coach drove the Tundra and not the other way around. Not that one needs to have a 10,000lb truck to tow a 7300 lb RV, but the Tacoma is rated at about 7100lbs (and that's being generous). It weighs about 4500lbs and is a 1/2 ton pickup. It lacks upgraded brakes, hubs, trans and differential.

Second, I'm also curious to know the hitch setup. Friction sway, dual cam, Hensely. Additionally brake controller and how much exp June had towing a 7300lb coach that was 28' long?

My whole point is that hindsight is always 20/20, but this might have been avoidable, if but nothing else, having a TV that had not exceeded it's tow rating. One thing according to my State Farm rep, when I asked him this question:

What would happen if i totaled my rig and say I had exceeded the manufacs rating and didn't use all the proper gear-- either one or both?

His response was, "we'd pay it, but we'd either drop you afterward or your rates would triple or quadruple." His words, not mine.

Glad you are both safe. The hardware can be replaced.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
David another, "sorry to hear it", to you folks. I'm sure you knew you would get a lot of "If you had done this or that's" as well as sympathy when you posted this. I for one thank you for posting knowing criticism would come. Your point out several things that will help us all. 1st of all it shows just how quick things can happen. One monent everything is "hunky dorry" , the next you can be on your top. Yours seems to be like most I've read about, in that not any one thing being the cause ,but more a culmination of things that all added up at the same place and time. No need to list then as I know you have rehearst this a million times over by now. But for the rest of us you post is a good reminder to never let our guard down on any item when it comes to towing. Pay attention to details, details ,details. Thanks again for posting details.---Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
So Sorry to hear about your experience.We Spun and Rolled (3 times) our last TV Ford 150 4x4.It was snowing and all that stuff,had it in 4wheel.After a while the road look nice clear and Black so I turned off 4x4. Yep, it was Black Ice. A second later all Heck Happened.Thank Goodness we alway's use our seat Belt's.We were all OK. I hope your both O.K. We wish you the Best!!!
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Oh Wow!

First - so sorry about the accident.
Second - so sorry about shooting the messenger.

Perhaps people should wait until the facts come in first..... people do buy new stuff and forget to update their avaitars and profiles....

I wish you success in finding a new RV, and continuing on your travels! I hope your wife continues to enjoy the road too.

On reflection.... I knew your name sounded familiar. I've seen you advertised in Airstream Life. Here's some goodwill for the future!
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Sorry about your loss. But am glad you are both ok. Don't think the brake controller would have helped.when trailer brakes are locked up tires heat up real fast and act like grease.only one word of advice don't pass a semi going down hill,he is trying to get up speed for the next got caught in his big cushion af air he was pushing.that is what helped to make you fish tail. next time pass when the truck is going up hill..but still glad only metal was hurt.
just want to camp happy
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #22
. , .
hi david and june…

really good to read no one was injured…

I agree with marc so sorry for the accident…

and any premature judgments here…

losing the a/s is horrible but a new one goes along way in healing.

from your other posts you seem adventurous, spirited and happy with the
airstream for wanderlust..

i hope you can hang on to those traits…

and get back to airstream travels….

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:10 PM   #23
aproned dad
1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi david and june…

...losing the a/s is horrible but a new one goes along way in healing.
and get back to airstream travels….

...And post your new A/S toy one fine Thursday in the Thursday thread maybe!

Sorry to hear it. Glad no one's hurt.

roamingwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
Needham , Massachusetts
Wishing you a speedy recovery to your new Airstream life. Post pics when you get your new rig
Mike & Joan
WBCCI #1521 New England Unit
07 25' International CCD FB
06 Chevy Duramax/Allison
hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sympathy Karma

Got some coming your way. At least you two came through it safely. Don't let it get you down, but come back to Airstreaming and see you down the road. Whew - I'm sure we've all had close calls that could have gone wrong oh so easily.

I moved my Airstream between camps and noticed I picked up a nail in a tire somewhere on a 10 mile journey. Never exceeded 40 mph... but it could have been open road and a serious accident.

Accidents happen in seconds.. speculation after the fact lasts for a long time, but if you end up a better driver and a better Airstreamer, it ends up being all good.

SAFE journeying in your new AS - and look at the 27 Safari FB SE... Very nice (and the rear dinette is much roomier than the side one).

Paula Ford
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
New Borockton , Alabama
Merry Christmas that you are all safe after that horrible experience. If you get a chance, please post the particulars so we can learn from it. What were the road conditions?
As already mentioned, reaching for the manual override on the brake control is controversial and needs addressed. It's a moot point for your situation and maybe would not have made a difference but manufactures generally do not recommend it for fishtailing. Many of us were taught to use the override and it could in fact work in "some" situations but definitely not all.
Randy 208-514-8950
Converters, Inverters, Monitors, EMS, Zamp Solar
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
Sorry about your loss. But am glad you are both ok. Don't think the brake controller would have helped.when trailer brakes are locked up tires heat up real fast and act like grease.only one word of advice don't pass a semi going down hill,he is trying to get up speed for the next got caught in his big cushion af air he was pushing.that is what helped to make you fish tail. next time pass when the truck is going up hill..but still glad only metal was hurt.
While I've never had a situation as serious as this happen to me I did, earlier in my towing life, notice the issue of attempting to pass a truck going down hill and the effect it made on the trailer. I learned early that its much smarter to fall behind and do the passing on the up side of the hill.

For those of you new in the game also note that you can get into a similar situation going downhill if a semi blows by you. Since we have our share of hills in Missouri I've made it a habit to look back prior to coming down a large hill and noting if I am going to have a semi pass by while on the downside of the hill. Many times I have either increased speed to keep them from catching me on the downslope or have slowed prior to the downhill to let them get by before we are both on the downward slope.

Also note that when you get into a yaw condition applying the trailer brakes in most cases is only one half of the corrective action needed. You also need to attempt to accelerate the tow vehicle as you manually apply the trailer brakes. Those two actions together cause the trailer and tow vehicle to pull against each other, in effect straightening out the yaw. Granted attempting to accelerate while going downhill in a yaw condition is pretty spooky.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
Escondido , California
This is the second Airstream I know of that has rolled in this area. The Nadlers from San Diego also rolled their Airstream in the same area a year or two back.

Snorky II
Escondido, CA
AIR #13642
04 Safari 25SS, 03 Toyota Tundra
SnorkyII is offline   Reply With Quote