Old 12-03-2006, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I am glad your family and home are safe. I know you will find another trailer and this will just be a story to share.

I have my trailer plugged in 24/7 with my Ford F-150 parked in front of it, I am strating to have a hard time sleeping.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 08:38 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear it. Just plain gut wrenching. I know a good number of us park our Airstreams next to the house when we are loading, unloading, getting ready for a trip. Any number of things could have made this a much worse story.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Mtjim, condolences to our near neighbor for the loss of your Airstream. This sends a tremor through all of us since setting up a 30 amp hookup for our trailers/MH's at home is so basic a practice. Good luck in settling on your loss, and best wishes hunting for your new Airstream. I know we don't find many advertised locally around here, although that is how we found ours. We are grateful with you that no greater damage was done or injury to you and your family. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
mtjim

What a rotten thing to happen. Losing a much loved trailer or vehicle is very disappointing. Reacting to the emergency in the way that you did mitigated the potential disaster that could have happened which is a great credit to your and anyone who helped you, and the fact that someone noticed it and came and alerted you to what was happening is also outstanding.

One wonders how many people have a fire extiguisher available and are comfortable that it's a good one and know how to use it if a similar situation should happen to them. We know a couple who lost two very expensive classic cars and their attached garage plus had tens of thousands of dollars of damage done to their home and furnishings - all for the fact that he had an inadequate fire extinguisher on hand that wasn't large enough nor did he understand the things to do when a fire started. Physically they recovered, financially they were well insured, but the mental picture has left them both impacted in many ways.

You will hopefully find just the right replacement for your Airstream and create a whole new set of great memories with it. Many of us will learn a great lesson from your misfortune and hopefully it will save us from a similar fate. I for one am going to check the date code on my fire extinguishers today.

Take care,
Barry
Old 12-03-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I for one am going to check the date code on my fire extinguishers today.
They should be serviced periodically, businesses are required to have this done annually, also a good idea in any trailer or vehicle. One of the issues is that they use a dry powder as the extinguishing agent. Over time, and with vibration the powder can settle and pack down into a lump. One thing I do, and would recommend: Occasionally turn the extinguisher upside down and thump it a few times with a rubber mallet to shake the powder around and loosen it up. Also check the guage to make sure it's still in the green. Position it near the door so you can grab it on the way out of the trailer, then if it's safe to do so, fight the fire from the doorway. FWIW.
Dave
Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
Good Advice

Fyrzowt:
Good advice for all. Make sure you have a way out if you find yourself trying to save your RV with an extinguisher. In 30 years in the fire service I've seen too manyfolks who thought the extinguisher would protect them. A lot of singed eyebrows and burned houses was the result. Aim it at the base of the flames and don't expect too much. The reality is that trailers and Mohos usually go up like a matchbook. The coach can be replaced, you can't.
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Thanks

Thanks to all of you who have responded. No one understands our loss like other Airstream owners. Your heartfelt messages have lifted our spirits.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I too am very sorry to hear of your loss.

I'll share my story from this past summer of an "almost" fire in our trailer as well.

We had been camped in our site along the Yellowstone River for a couple weeks when I began smelling a very strange smell whenever I first went to bed. My wife and I have twin beds, and she couldn't smell anything in her bed, but the smell in mine was quite noxious.

This went on for a couple days and I wasn't able to figure out what the smell was. Now, understand that the extent of my knowledge of things mechanical and electrical is close to zero, but once I do understand something, I'm pretty good about taking any required corrective action.

Then in the middle of one especially hot afternoon, when our air conditioner was running full blast to keep us cool, all of our electric power went out.

Fortunately, one of the campground's workcampers was in the site right next to us, and he did know about electrical and mechanical things. He was able to determine that our "problem" was caused by a faulty generator transfer switch that was mounted inside a wall panel, accessed through the outside storage compartment at the rear of our trailer. (This is right beneath my bed.)

I hadn't even known we had this transfer switch in our trailer, and until then didn't know what it was used for.

Anyway, to make a long story short, after consulting with one of the technical service guys at Jackson Center, we made an appointment at an RV dealer in Bozeman, MT to have it looked at and replaced.

A part of the transfer switch had melted and burned, but fortunately all the damage was contained inside the switch. The cause was loose wiring connections where our 30amp shore power cord came into the switch box. I can't prove it, but if I was a bettor (seeing some of the other shoddy electrical work in our trailer) I'd bet the installation was done half-a** at the factory.

You can also bet that I'll be more careful in the future to periodically check to make sure that my wire connections are secure.

You guys that know about electrical things have any suggestions for things to periodically check along these lines???

John
Old 02-26-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
New Bloomfield , Missouri
Update...

I was fortunate to have been fully covered by my insurance company which considered the trailer a total loss. I also had a second policy that covered "contents" as a part of my homeowner's or rental policy.

While the settlement for both would not fully compensate for all the tinkering and additions we had made in the two years of ownership it did make the whole ordeal less painful. Plus - I got to purchase "my baby" back from the Insurance Company and take out what I needed to salvage.

We banked the money and started looking. Boy did we look. Everywhere. Followed up every lead. Drove hours to inspect likely prospects and were disappointed more times than I care to remember.

I told my wife to be patient a thousand times and she told me a thousand times "I told you we should have bought that one at such and such place."

Now 15 months later our (my) patience has paid off and we go pick up our new "old" trailer next week. 1973 25 footer. I had a friend, also an Airstream fan, go and inspect it for me. His recommendation was the highest - "if you don't take it, I will."

Can't wait to get hooked up and on the road again!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Congratulations on getting back into the 'stream', so to speak. Just in time for camping season too.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
I keep my 34' Excella plugged in 24/7, even when it's setting in my yard. My beauty is a working tool rather than a luxury item. I probably hit 6 to 10 cities a year. If it's going to catch fire, I'd rather it happen in my front yard than when I'm sleeping in it after a 12 hour shift.
I've followed this practice since I bought it 5 years ago. Never had any electrical trouble at all.
Even when it's at home, I make it a point to use everything (water hooked up, flush toilet, light stove, air conditioner, etc.) on a regular basis. It's been my experience that non use causes athrophy.
Anyway, I'm glad you found yourself a new unit. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Are all Airstream owners crazy? Or is it just me? I can't imagine life without my doll.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
mtjim, thanks for the update. It has been a long road for you, and I hope that the new trailer is everything you hope for.
Dave
Old 02-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
There is hope after all! So glad to hear that you came out alright with the insurance companies but fully understand the loss you felt. We totaled our Airstream in a freakish accident last July and we've looked and looked and looked for a replacement ever since. We get so discouraged everytime we have driven hundreds of miles to look at something that was nothing like it was described or pictured. You give us hope that our trailer is out there somewhere too! Congratulations and enjoy!
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
mtjim

This is great news. It is unfortunate that it has taken so long to find the replacement you wanted but in the end you get what you were hoping for.

It is interesting how many times we've heard from folks that they go to look at a trailer and it is not in the condition it was stated to be in. Don't people realize that when the potential purchaser looks they will know they were misled? Sad, sad, sad.

So, glad to hear you are back in the silver

Barry