Old 04-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Poplar Bluff , Missouri
TK,, my first AS purchase fell thru, but the next one, which I now own, is much, much better! so, be patient, keep looking, and good luck!
Steven

Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Tskbaskets
Maybe you are trying to set your sights to high in yr that is. There are hundreds of beautiful, gently used and explicitly maintained units from the late 70's 80's and 90' that will do a the job for you.
Somehow if you look carefully you will find that older units have far more character that the new that you are looking at.
Maybe you need to look 2 or 3 hrs down 75 there are a couple of dealers along the interstate down here.
GOOD LUCK on your Quest
Roger

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Keep Looking

Hi, tskbaskets. Keep looking. Mom said "all bad things happen for a good reason". The bad thing was you missed out on the trailer with the green interior; The good thing is that you will find a better one later. [Don't rush it] We spent three years looking at/for a nice used trailer at a reasonable price. We ended up buying a new trailer and drove from Southern California to Eugene, Oregon to pick it up.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

wimberley , Texas
No, not Camper Clinic in Texas.

Jim,

I know you really like CC in Buda, TX, but I will never set foot on that lot again! I went there on my one day off and asked for Mr. Kiminski; was told he wasn't available. A salesman recently moved from Orange County, CA showed me several ASs; smaller models. He had NO ASs on lot - and said he never got any- older than '08s. The least expensive AS he showed me was 39K plus tax, and when I asked him if he ever had any used or lesser expensive ones, he replied, "you don't need an AS, you need one over there", pointing at an ugly box, and excused himself. I'm sorry, but AS dealers will never see me again, especially this one! Color me insulted and disgusted.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Try airstreamofArkansas.com. I've bought two from Gene (mgr). He is a great guy, good prices and expert tech/maintenance guys.

I do not work for them, or get a commission...just good deals and service.

Good luck on your search.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
TK, I think it's great you didn't get the green interior that you didn't like. Maybe you'd get used to it, but it's possible in a few years you'd be changing the interior and you might feel you settled for something you didn't like. It's not good to own something you'll probably have for years and years and feel some regrets.

With Airstream drastically cutting production, inventory is shrinking and dealers are disappearing. Now seems to be the time to buy while there's still some oversupply. Check the larger dealers' websites for what they have and prices. You can e-mail Airstream for a list of dealers.

Good luck on your search. Seems like you're looking hard everyday. I think you'll find something that works well for you and "hubby".

Gene
Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Hello tskbaskets,

Don’t let the bad experience that Hanlon had with the arrogant salesman at Camper Clinic in Buda, TX keep you from working with the favored sales person, if the trailer that you desire is on the lot. I also have a problem with arrogant sales/service people, and will ask for any one else, or a specific person, to help me to avoid that confrontation.

It is too bad that Woodland Travel Center does not have the size, model and year of Airstream for you. Last fall Anne-Marie and I did an extensive search for the trailer of our dreams, and we drove all over the North West states and visited Airstream dealerships and met some very nice sales people (Mark at George Suttons in OR), but the best deal for us was in Michigan at Woodland Travel Center.

A four-day drive to look at an Airstream might be a little too much for some of you, but it was fun for us. Craig at Woodland wanted us to stay and camp at the RV store for four nights, but we broke away after two, and made our way to home in Oregon.

If you need the training on the systems in the Airstream, stay camped at the RV lot as long as they will have you.

Keep looking, even further out than you want to drive to, and be prepared to move an the best deal for you.

Steve
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Again thank you for all the great feedback and suggestions!
Steven - I hope the same happens to us! The one that we 'get' much better than the one that 'got away'

Roger - we are looking from 1997-2007. Something about the blue in the 80's takes me WAY too close to my youth We did road trip with friends of ours to a dealership in Ohio where we were able to flop in the different units and see if four adult would be comfortable conversing and sleeping. We are keeping an open mind for a bit older unit.

ROBERTSUNRUS - GREAT advise!

Gene - thanks for the post. Yes, I wasn't in love with the green and for 40K I should love just how we pick it up. I'm being very diligent in my search for the 'perfect' AS for us keep your fingers crossed!

Hanlon - no worries and thank you for the heads-up on the Texas dealership. A bit far for us to travel.

Scott - as a matter of fact I've pm'd with Gene a bit over units that he has. He seems to be very knowledgeable and very nice! Now if he could just get the unit we want

Steve - thanks for posting your good experience with Woodland in Michigan. We stopped there last summer and thought they were very nice. I monitor their inventory too. Never thought about camping where we pick it up. Do most dealers have somewhere where you can do that?

TK
Old 04-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Camping at the RV dealers lot

Hello tskbaskets,

I thought that they all did, and Craig at Woodland RV made it sound like it was just a part of the buying experience. He said that two nights ago (before our visit) there were four couples staying in their RVs, some inside the shop, and some outside. He seemed to be most concerned about the buyer not having a bad experience, because of not knowing about how a system or appliance worked, after getting home. After the show and tell, care and feeding of your new RV, we were encouraged to chase him down when ever we had a question, or even the service manager. I thought that all of the RV dealers had sales people that carried his level of knowledge, energy and enthusiasm.

The few things that have broken on the Airstream (mostly self induced) have been replaced by a call to Kelly the parts manager at Woodland, and she just looks up our trailer, to make sure the part she is sending will fit our trailer.

We were looking for the same age of Airstream as you 1997-2007 and we were set on the floor plan. I even called Airstream about a remodel, if we drove out to the Eastern States and bought the correct length trailer, and we were to swing by and have it changed to what we wanted. We choose to seek the Airstream that started life with the floor plan that we liked best.

Choose the dealer and sales person that want to make you happy. If the sales person doesn’t care about serving you and finding the trailer for you, ask the sales manager or owner for one that does care. If the RV dealer doesn’t care “move on”.

Steve
Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingbooks View Post
Hello tskbaskets,

Choose the dealer and sales person that want to make you happy. If the sales person doesn’t care about serving you and finding the trailer for you, ask the sales manager or owner for one that does care. If the RV dealer doesn’t care “move on”.

Steve
Boy does my DH agree with you! He enjoyed reading all the comments too.

Bob - DH wants the twin bed configuration like you have. He likes all your storage ideas.

TK
Old 04-12-2009, 05:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Baskets
I forgot to tell you too contact P&S Trailer Sales at Helena Ohio they some times have an older unit they have or are about to rehab, and it will be for sale. I almost bought a 27 ft OVERLAND from them,just like the one we have ,they had it on Ebay and I missed the bid. It was lovely.
I think they have a website and you can check thier inventory
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #26
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Did you ask who they sold them to? If it was another dealer you may still be able to buy it.

You may even get it cheaper. The old dealer may have sold them cheap because he needed some quick $$$$$ bucks to cover the bills or payroll. A wholesaler might just take a few hundred $$$$$ profit on a quick flip, all cash, no conditions.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Try offering 25% off the old asking price.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
I may have to give P&S Trailer Sales at Helena Ohio a call. Their web site was very nice but we need to 'call for inventory'

Ganaraska I may give Weekley's a call tomorrow and see if they did sell all three AS to another dealer/wholesaler. What do I have to loose??

Happy Easter!