Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
undisclosed , Idaho
Water pump and city water

Airstream tech told me to leave my water pump on when hooked up to city water. Does that sound right to anyone out there? Thanks
jeffryorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

No. Not even close to ‘right’, it’s about 180 out in the wrong direction.

The only reason you need to run the water pump is if you have water in your freshwater tank and are not connected to fresh water from a campsite.

I won’t put out my real opinion on that ‘tech’ but just because he claims to know about Airstreams does not mean he knows what he’s talking about...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffryorange View Post
Does that sound right to anyone out there? Thanks
No.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My original water pump material said using the pump when hooked up to city Water could compensate for low water pressure. I never tested the theory.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I agree with AWChief otherwise leave it off
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corona , California

The city water comes into my AS on the discharge side of the pump. Won’t help any with low water pressure. Knowing that, makes even less sense.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The city water comes into my AS on the discharge side of the pump. Won’t help any with low water pressure. Knowing that, makes even less sense.
Most people that I know have water in their fresh water tank even when on city water. I have noticed that sometimes the added pressure from the water pump will help with low city water pressure - especially in the shower.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I suppose there could be some advantage in keeping fresh water flowing through the tank to keep it from becoming stagnant. But you couldn't do that by connecting the outside water to the shore water connection, if the shore water comes in on the discharge side of the pump. You would have to use the tank water and periodically refill it from shore water, like we do when boondocking. Not sure this would be any better than the once a year flushing and sanitizing of the fresh water tank that most of us do.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
The owners manual on my 2014 says that the pump should be run if city water pressure is low, and the pump will draw from FW tank to boost WP to regular pressure. I have done this in a couple campgrounds, and it works.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Why not just fill the tank and use the pump if the city water pressure is low?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Why not just fill the tank and use the pump if the city water pressure is low?
If you only use the water from your tank you will need to fill it more often. However, if you use the tank water to supplement the city water then the tank will last longer.

Low city water pressure is common at a rally where several trailers are connected to the same water spigot. If everyone happens to shower at the same time the water pressure will be low for everyone and the water pump will increase the pressure at the shower head.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #12
Author RVs for Dummies

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Indianapolis , Indiana
Manuals with our 2018 23FB also said that the water pump will increase the flow with low pressure city water hookup. That was NOT our experience after two months on the road. The campgrounds that had super high pressure water blasting out of the spigots concerned us enough to screw on a pressure relief valve to protect our plumbing, which cuts the flow to 50 psi. With city water pressure reduced that low, showers were less than satisfying and took longer to accomplish. Turning the water pump on ONLY improved things IF there was water in the freshwater tank. Three or four long showers would drain the freshwater tank dry, and once that happened, the water pump would run non-stop, choked for water, and sounding like it was doing damage to the system.

So if you choose to turn on the pump to increase the pressure, you MUST be sure to keep refilling the freshwater tank.
indymason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . of course . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If the check valves are working it probably makes little difference if the pump switch is on. As long as there is sufficient pressure the pump will not run. I turn my pump off when connected.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
If the check valves are working it probably makes little difference if the pump switch is on. As long as there is sufficient pressure the pump will not run. I turn my pump off when connected.
If you read all the posts in this thread, at some point the discussion turned to a situation where the city water pressure was too low. In this case the water pump will indeed boost the water pressure, as most AS owner's manuals state. Obviously there has to be water in the water tank to accomplish this.

Rich, would you like to revisit the logic in your earlier posts?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
No. Not even close to ‘right’, it’s about 180 out in the wrong direction.

The only reason you need to run the water pump is if you have water in your freshwater tank and are not connected to fresh water from a campsite.

I won’t put out my real opinion on that ‘tech’ but just because he claims to know about Airstreams does not mean he knows what he’s talking about...
Quote:
Old 09-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Corona , California
IMHO if you have really low campground water pressure, it makes more sense to just fill the tank and use the pump. The connection to the city water port is not going to let campground water flow if it has less pressure than the pump produces. There is a check valve built into the city water port that will stay shut, and prevent water flow from the campground supply if the campground supply pressure is less than your pump pressure setting.

Under those circumstances, why hook up at all?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So you don't waste the onboard water supply when low-pressure city water will do, for washing dishes, flushing the toilet, etc..

For a shower, kick the pump on as needed, then turn it off.

During the night, it is much quieter to have city water to flush.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by indymason View Post
Manuals with our 2018 23FB also said that the water pump will increase the flow with low pressure city water hookup. That was NOT our experience after two months on the road. The campgrounds that had super high pressure water blasting out of the spigots concerned us enough to screw on a pressure relief valve to protect our plumbing, which cuts the flow to 50 psi. With city water pressure reduced that low, showers were less than satisfying and took longer to accomplish. Turning the water pump on ONLY improved things IF there was water in the freshwater tank. Three or four long showers would drain the freshwater tank dry, and once that happened, the water pump would run non-stop, choked for water, and sounding like it was doing damage to the system.

So if you choose to turn on the pump to increase the pressure, you MUST be sure to keep refilling the freshwater tank.
Saw this post as I am considering changing out my water pump. Your comments about showers got me wondering if you have an Oxygenics shower head? We have used in our last 3 AS's, and it not only conserves water, but the pressure is great with their patented air mix technology...we love ours. Not sure if you have tried or have this?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I've never had city pressure high enough to successfully shower with - I always use the pump. YMMV.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I've never had city pressure high enough to successfully shower with - I always use the pump. YMMV.
Your onboard pressure regulator may not be working correctly IMO. Average city water pressure should allow you to shower.

Do you use an inline water filter or pressure regulator at the hose bib?

Peter