Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
COVINGTON , rich patch road
Water pressure

Please help. We are looking for a water pressure regulator on a 1993 Airstream 34ft on the inside? or where it maybe? At this time we do not use one on the hose outside, But we will.
angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
It may be part of the water inlet mine is.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
They are usually internal, not within eye site. I use a water pressure reducer at the spiket in addition to the built in one. Just a precaution on my part as I've read the Airstream ones after time begin to leak, true or not I don't know!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I doubt the use of an external pressure regulator will stop a leaking internal one from continuing to leak.
I do know that using an external regulator can reduce water pressure in the trailer to a ridiculously-low, unuseable flow. It's happened to me, and when I mistakenly complained to the park mgmt., they advised not to use a regulator as their pressures were already regulated.
I removed the external one and all worked perfectly.
The AS regulator is usually installed immediately inside the fresh-water filler inlet.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I doubt the use of an external pressure regulator will stop a leaking internal one from continuing to leak.
I do know that using an external regulator can reduce water pressure in the trailer to a ridiculously-low, unuseable flow. It's happened to me, and when I mistakenly complained to the park mgmt., they advised not to use a regulator as their pressures were already regulated.
I removed the external one and all worked perfectly.
The AS regulator is usually installed immediately inside the fresh-water filler inlet.
I didn't mean to insulate that an external regulator will stop a leaking internal one because it won't. My point is to prevent a leak before it happens.
If the external regulator reduces the pressure to 45 lb pressure, the internal one will not reduce it further unless it's set lower, which I doubt.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #6
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We use this one, right at the faucet, before water enters a hose: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...dp/B003YJCE9E/

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
Thank you all for your help. I don't believe I ask the question right, So I will try again. Our water pressure is great when you turn it on, then it goes down to nothing. Is there a regulator that we need to check or maybe a line slowly stopping up?
Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Angle, I had a similar problem on my trailer. Where are you getting your water from, are you talking about when you are hooked up to a city water connection or when you are running the pump for water from your fresh tank? My problem was with the pump and fresh tank, one of the valves between the tank and pump wasn't 100% air tight, so it would start great the drop to a drizzle. I little air was getting into the system before the pump, it can be hard to tell because that part of the system has not pressure in it and therefore doesn't leak water out (so you'd see it) it just leaks air in.
Hope this helps.
P.S. if it's when you connected to city water, then I have no idea.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:45 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1993 34' Excella
Everthing you said is what happens, The only thing is we are hooked up to the campground water with no filter at this time. when you first cut the water on it is fine,then it downs back down like nothing. Like it has no air behind it to push the water though. Bobby was hopeing that there was a regulator we could check on in the camper. so far we have not been able to fine it. What else could be causeing this?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Start trouble shooting upstream. What does the water out of the camp spigot do? Then add your hose, not hooked up to the trailer. Once hooked up do both hot and cold do the same thing? Check for leaks everywhere, when hooked up.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The water pressure regulator is integral with the external hose connection, one part on the side of the Airstream.

The screens on the faucets may be plugged, take one off to see if flow is normal. Outside chance, could the water be overcoming a faulty water pump check valve and flowing into the fresh water tank. And, what the heck, could the drain valves be open and water flowing out under the trailer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by angle View Post
Thank you all for your help. I don't believe I ask the question right, So I will try again. Our water pressure is great when you turn it on, then it goes down to nothing. Is there a regulator that we need to check or maybe a line slowly stopping up?
Before digging into the pressure regulator you should try a few things.
(1) Remove the screens at each faucet outlet and the shower head to make sure they are not stopped up with scale and debris
(2) If you find scale in the faucets, remove the drain plug from the water heater and flush the tank thoroughly with water, till debris stops coming out. Then flush the faucets and shower with the screens removed.
(3) Look into the fresh water inlet to see if the hose washer includes a screen. Those screens can get plugged up pretty easily.
(4) Tighten and release each of the water shutoff valves at the water heater and the bypass (winterizing valves). Sometimes the internal washer come loose and will restrict water flow. Tightening and releasing might re-attach the washer. If it does not you can remove the stem/knob and install a new washer.

This is a link to the Owners Manual for a 1993:
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...0110i.arc_.pdf

On page C-5 there is picture of a water inlet. (or page 33/222 of the pdf)
If this is the type of water inlet you have, it also serves as the pressure regulator. All you need to do is remove the four screws in the face plate then pull it toward you, maybe cut the caulk and adhesive around the perimeter. There should be enough flex in the interior pipe to let the unit come forward enough to see how the plumbing is fastened. When I replace one, but on a different trailer from yours, I had to remove the pipe from inside the trailer behind a cabinet that was in front of the inlet.

This is a link to a water inlet/pressure regulator (though it may not be a replacement for your trailer) . I suggest that you could call ODM or your local dealer to find out what fits yours.

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=902
Old 09-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Angle, What you have is not a pressure problem but a flow problem. Something is plugged up somewhere, restricting the flow. The clog might even be in the pressure regulator. Do you have on board water capability, i.e. fresh water tank and pump? If so the pressure regulator can be back flushed be removing the shore water hose and turning on the on board water. The pump will blow water out of the shore water connector. let it run for half a minute then turn off the pump and re-connect to shore water. Also check faucet screens for obstructions but blocked screens there should result in reduced flow right from the start and not a good flow that goes down to a dribble after a bit as you describe it. I suspect a clog at the shore water connection or in the pressure regulator.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #14
345LE

1990 34' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Seminole , Florida
I am running a 91 345Le, the water pump with internal pressure regulator is located in the right rear, inside, at the end of the fresh water tank. Not too bad replacing this item, if your inclined.
Bikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Yes it's a flow problem. Running the pump won't backfluch the inlet regulator unless it's broken. Running the pump will help determine if the regulator is the problem though. If you turn on the pump and get good water flow from your sinks then the problem is at the regulator, not the individual faucets being clogged.
The screen inlet to the regulator may be clogged. If that looks clear then 99% it's the regulator itself.
Good news is those regulator are less than $40(Amazon) and straight forward to replace.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote