Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community

Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, although not always the case, all warranty repairs should be the same no matter where you bought it. These dealers need to learn from the car dealers. [who used to do the same thing] If you treat all of your warranty customers good, then you will still have them as customers after their warranty runs out [customer pay] and/or when they are ready to buy their next new unit. Fortunately for me, I live very close to C & G Trailer Service in Bellflower, California. [an Airstream Authorized repair center] C & G does not sell Airstream trailers so they don't care where you bought it. George Sutton has been very good to me, but Eugene, Oregon is a long drive from Lakewood, California.
Hi, this post is a few years old and now we live much closer to George Sutton RV. [about 60 miles] And my trailer has already paid one visit to them for some repairs.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The subject of warranty work is a common complaint in the RV world. We're used to the automotive world, where any dealership that sells that brand will do warranty work for any owner. Unfortunately that's not the case in the RV world. The next time you are at an RV dealership pick up a brochure and you are likely to see a statement telling you that you really need to take the trailer back to the selling dealer for warranty service.

A recreational vehicle, no matter whether it is the cheapest little covered cart or a multimillion dollar motor home, is sold to make traveling more enjoyable. Many of us are full-timers who don't have a fixed home. For those who are fortunate enough to be able to buy a new coach that purchase is likely to be determined as much by the advertised price as by where they happen to be when the decision is made to buy. For most people contemplating the purchase of a new coach, when to buy isn't all that critical. The will search the Internet for a dealership that has a coach like what they think they want that is somewhere near where they are at the time. They aren't likely to be near that dealership two or three months later when problems arise.

Those of us who have older coaches don't have that problem. Our coaches don't have warranties so whatever repairs are needed are at our expense. We may well be the ones who are the last to get our coaches repaired. Most likely we didn't buy from the dealership and we certainly aren't under warranty. The dealership probably won't ever see us again. They will make a few dollars from the job, and that's all.

Some dealerships, though, have figured out that service customers are also potential buyers. More than one person has gone in for service only to leave with a new coach. With forums like this one it is easy to find out what sort of reputation a dealership has. If I need immediate service I'm limited to whatever place is where I am at that point. If I'm going to schedule service for some future date, though, I'll check my forums for recommendations in my area and go there.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
So far we haven't had to have much done by any RV dealer except for the warranty work and most was done at JC. I had some work done at non-Airstream dealer in Grand Junction last year, several years ago by Lewster and someone sealed a roof leak on the road because I didn't have a ladder.

Since I can do a lot myself, I don't have to worry so much about finding a dealer. RV's are like cars generations ago when you had to fix them on the road yourself because there weren't garages always available.

One reason dealers don't want to do warranty work when you bought it elsewhere could be what they get paid less. I guess Airstream doesn't pay the dealers as much for warranty work as the dealers can get servicing RV's not under warranty, or perhaps, what other RV manufacturers pay for warranty work. When the Great Repression hit, Airstream stopped financing the dealers when they had trailers on the lot. The dealers had to go to banks to finance their inventory and banks weren't lending. Thor had plenty of cash—they lent $20 M to Camping World at a pretty good rate of return. There was probably more money to be made that way than from the dealers i.n the short term, but seemed bad policy long term. Some went out of business and production in JC crashed—I think it was around 30-35% of what it had been (or is now).

There aren't a lot of Airstream dealers anyway—some probably sell a few a year, others 10 0r 20. Some dealer may a few Airstreams to draw customers in, but when the customers see the prices, the dealer steers them to a cheaper brand. The dealer's mechanics don't want to deal with quirky Airstreams more than they have to.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Some small dealers have limited experienced personnel to do the work. It may be all they can do to keep up with their sales customers who need work done. If you bought your trailer from them how would you like to wait two weeks for work to be done because people who wanted to Save a few bucks bought elsewhere and were put in front of you? There are also dealers who receive work assigned to them from airstream because of complaints from a different dealer. This put reall pressure on the smaller dealer to service its own customers properly. It's also extremely difficult to hire good service people. Some dealers won't hire just anyone, they want professional service techs, hence they must limit the amount of service they can handle meaning the wait times are longer and many times preference is given to those who bought from them. Jim

avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote