Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 05:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpich View Post
I have a new 2017 Interstate and ALL the doors fly open, including tbe trash, which ends up on the floor. Yuck. Really a poorly design system. I don't think bungee cords will work on my pull knobs. Any other ideas? I hate to drill holes in a two week old vehicle.
Warrenty issue?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:25 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpich View Post
I have a new 2017 Interstate and ALL the doors fly open, including tbe trash, which ends up on the floor. Yuck. Really a poorly design system. I don't think bungee cords will work on my pull knobs. Any other ideas? I hate to drill holes in a two week old vehicle.
Hair Rubber Band? We use these to keep our fridge closed and the blinds up when we drive. You know the little black one you put ponytails up with? On the fridge door and the wall we have tiny clear command hooks, the hair rubber band hooks into both hooks and keeps the fridge door from popping open. If you have knows you would just put a rubber band on them. If they are too big, tie a knot in the loop. I had to do that when the elastic began stretching out.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
Home Depot

Go to the kitchen dept at Home Depot and purchase some strong kitchen cabinet door latches. Only a couple bucks each.
DEWASSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
X2

Old...

What we used...not 'marine', but work well.

Bob
Bob,

I used some of those on the three drawers under our queen bed that were often rolling out on a trip.

I left the existing latches in place and added the new ones at the backs of the drawers.

They have worked well, no ore drawers rolling out! And a plus is that you can adjust the tension on the springs that hold the detent balls to vary the holding strength as needed.

Got mine at "Lee Valley" here in Canada.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:38 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Brian,

Tip...once set, a small drop of Loctite 242 will hold the adjustment.

Bob
Old 07-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Opening drawers, cabinets, closets may be more of a symptom than the problem. What are you towing with? If it is a pickup truck, especially a HD 3/4T or 1T, that may be the real culprit. We noticed that, towing with our old 3/4 ton 4x4, that every time we'd hit a rest stop after a stretch of bad interstate, there would be cabinets and drawers open and pillows everywhere. When we upgraded to a 1ton 4x4, I added an AirSafe hitch to the Equalizer WD hitch. Now, not a drawer opened or pillow disturbed. Is $1200 a lot to pay to keep your cabinets and drawers shut (I got the Class VI AirSafe)? Yes. But, if you are seeing all of these "symptoms", what is that rough ride doing to your rivets, frame and suspension on your Airstream? So, let me rephrase the question: Is $1200 a lot to pay to keep your $60,000 tow vehicle and $80,000 Airstream from beating the snot out of each other? I submit that it is some pretty cheap insurance and preventative maintenance...
Old 09-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
GRAND CANYON , Arizona
UPDATE: Problem Solved. Here's how.
Door latches were too weak to hold during travel and doors would swing open when the latch wouldn't hold. Some suggested to use duct tape. Not an option on these thin veneer doors. the tape residue would be a mess to get off if it didn't take the veneer off with the tape. Others suggested Bungee Cords....but what do you tie them too?
My solution after several conversations with folks in the big box stores and friends is to use a shower curtain rod across all three doors. It's spring loaded so I can adjust the tension to the correct amount. It's easy to set up and remove and leaves no damage. I place a small towel at key spots along the pole so any vibration during travel won't put wear spots on the doors.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ag...=w1011-h758-no
RadioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St. Pete Beach , Florida
Considering how ridiculous it was that doors (especially the trash) flew open during travel, I decided to take it up with Airstream. As it turns out, the latches can be swapped out for stiffer versions, or another can be added to the existing setup. My two, 5# latches on my trash were swapped out for 10# latches at first, but then we determined we needed super human strength to open them. SO - we now have one 5# latch and one 10# latch on the trash and a few other cabinets that were giving us pains. This is an easy, aesthetically consistent solution for the 2017 Interstate.
Perpich is offline   Reply With Quote