Old 03-19-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
War Effort...

Just a thought here Guys...
How many of you WOULD let your Airstream be taken for recycle, to help the Iraq crisis...all that alloy...
Not out to upset you, but who knows...Chris.....

Old 03-19-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I think the better question woiuld be about conserving gasoline.

If anybody needs my old rig they will have to pry my hands off the steering wheel. Just joking of course.....it might make a good trojan horse.

I hope this is a very short conflict with minimal casualties on all sides.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Chris,

Welcome to the 21st century. Those days are long gone.

With all the technology, less is more. We aren't in the 40s and WWII.

Weapons are more powerful and precise now compared to days past. Even during WWII, I can't reacall the U.S. government taking people's belongings to be used for the war effort. It was given freely by the individuals if they chose to do so. Remember, we were fighting against that kind of government that "took" what they needed.

Nice thought, just a little dated. The last thing I am worried about is the U.S. Government coming to take my cars and campers for their metal (maybe my gun if the tree hugging conservitaves have their way). I'm more concerned that I'm gonna take a whiff of anthrax (or other chem/bio weapons) or have a nuclear cook out in my back yard being just north of the city. So in that case, if they wanted it, they could have it since I'd have no use for it, then again, neither would they since most wouldn't be around anyway!

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Gasoline is a good point. However, most of the oil producing nations have already vowed to continue current levels no matter what......

Now, I know, it's just a verbal arrangement that could change if we piss someone off, however, the Kuwaitis are beyond our friends. We have one big straw placed in that little country already to quench our thrist for oil. It's not big enough for all of America, but surely enough to deal with taking care of business that the Government through the military would need to do regardless if the Saudis, Iranians, etc turned the faucets off. Of course we all would not be talking much about traveling since gas domestically would be expensive and scarce if most of the faucets were turned off. But remember this isn't the 1970s anymore. This senario is not likey to happen again being the "global village" that we are.

I cannot speak to the casualties on either side, but I can assure you that it will be disproportionate. Also, after Iraq is liberated, we'll have a place for a second straw to pump more oil from that has been limited in the past due to sanctions. At any rate, the oil is kind of a by-product of the war. I don't feel it's the reason people make it out to be.

This battle isn't gonna take too long. It's kind of like swatting a fly with a sludgehammer.

The only variable that concerns me is if bio/chem weapons are used. Iraq's regime has done it in the past, they could do it again, esp if they are on their way out anyway. That would change the WHOLE dynamic and all bets would be off.

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 11:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Gasoline is a good point........ to quench our thrist for oil.
Don't get me started on that, ....... there's more where it comes from , and I p*s* away too much time on line already. The internet is a real curse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	we shell......jpg
Views:	301
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1775  
Old 03-19-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
SORRY GUYS...

I did'nt mean to start a war here, lol...YES I understand how U Guys feel, I too have freinds sons out there, 17 have gave up already...lets hope they ALL do the same...
Hope you can ride a cycle...'cos if the taps are turned off, well I dread to think...tell ya what for nothing, even if they are...we're still coming to Boston in Jan:, if we gotta walk there, .
Ok we'll ROW...lol, so you convinced me that your Airstreams ARE safe, as I said it was just a thought...maybe a silly one, as usual...
Hope I did'nt upset anyone...Chris.....

!....." GOD BLESS AMERICA ".....!
Old 03-19-2003, 01:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I don't know about you folks....

But I like coming home to a warm house, with faucets that have running hot water. I would hate to have to ride my bicycle to work 10 miles and back every day. Are not all our Airstreams pulled or propelled by engines that run on petroleum? This war may be partially about stabilizing the worlds oil supply. If it is, then I for one, am thankfull for that. I am also thankfull to have a President that is concerned about his country's present and future energy needs.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Although all this is off our usual topic, when there are such huge events that we all are affected its good to have a place to vent, and discuss. Thanks Chris .
Old 03-19-2003, 03:46 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
On a documentary on the Learning Channel, or maybe the History Channel, they said the the aluminum pans collected during WWII were not used to make airplanes or anything else. It was nothing more than a PR promotion to keep spirits up during the war.

Anyone else heard this also??
Old 03-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I saw similar infomation on one of those channels too.

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 05:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

They had scrap rubber drives also. Once vulcanized, rubber cannot be recycled in any way.

Mark
Old 03-19-2003, 06:59 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

do you think?

do you think that if it came to it that the usa could produce the needed oil for ourselves?
Old 03-19-2003, 07:19 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure

We make 100% synthetic oil for cars? I am not sure what it takes to do that, but maybe converting it to gas can be done but at a much higher cost (like synthetic oils).

Eric
Old 03-19-2003, 09:05 PM   #14
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Bringing the oil from overseas has been cheaper than getting the oil out of the ground in our own country. There are a tremendous number of wells that have been capped in the oil producing states because the oil companies could not make money on the oil due to the competition form mid-east oil.

We have pleny of oil available in the artic as well as in the gulf of mexico. It is said there is more oil in the gulf of mexico than they have in the middle east. The main reason we have not gone after it is due to the resistance from the eco-movement.

If the oil flow stops from the mid-east we have other resources, but the cost per gallon may be more like they pay in the EU, or $3.00 plus per gallon for a while.

Just my opinion, I just suck up and fill it up when I need to. I drive as a part of my job and I cannot get worked up about the per gallon $ cost. I would not be able to focus on earning a living if I did.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote