Old 08-31-2015, 07:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Check with one of the wbcci units; i'm sure there is someone that could/would help you. Look under tahi (texas airstream harbor) or ntac (north texas airstream club)

Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
In light of the fact that you own neither a truck or Airstream, have you considered a class B motor home, the cost of an AS & tow vehicle & that of a class B would be close to equal.

Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I resemble your comments. At first, my AS would end up anywhere other than where I wanted it. Ask me about the time I ended up straddling a big rock between my TV and the AS in a campground near Lone Pine, CA. No matter what I did, the rock just moved further under the hitch. The campground host was a former long haul truck driver, and it took him and his wife more than a half hour of swearing and inching to get me free. I think their marriage would have been in jeopardy at some point, if I hadn't reminded them that it was me they should be mad at, not each other.

Then, almost suddenly, it was all over. Now I know what spaces I can fit in, and back into them the first time (well, if you don't count a few minor adjustments). The guy in charge of the campground tonight almost smirked when he assigned me the spot in front of his office that required a 45* maneuver between trees, rocks, and other RV's. I think he called all his friends over to watch. Zip! In I went the first try. Smirk right back at you, fellow!

I think you just have to jump in the deep end of the pool. It's worth it, and I guarantee you the light will finally go on.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Originally Posted by Claysews View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I spoke to several RV instructors but they require I buy the rig first. I hate to buy a truck and airstream only to find I need a driver.
Have you considered an Interstate similar to what Protagonist drives? It may be easier to get driver training since you are not towing a a travel trailer?

Good Luck!
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Look into renting a pickup truck and a uhaul trailer for a few days to practice with. I know that some of the national chain rentals rent trucks in Texas, it's Texas for gods sake. A uhaul trailer will handle essentially the same as a travel trailer. Do it on a weekend in a empty high school stadium parking lot, it's Texas I know those must be huge too. Tow around the lot for a while. Pick up a few cheap orange cones in Walmart sports section for maneuvering practice and backing practice.
Just like anything else in life, it's got to be learned. My niece today, learning to ride her bike without training wheels "how am I going to ride on 2 wheels if I don't know how", me, "how about you saying that about reading 2 years ago, you read like a champ now, you didn't know how then."
We all have to learn, and with some effort and time you can as well.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:43 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
Renting a uhaul trailer will be a great exercise. As far as tips to towing, my advice would to take wider turns since the trailer will cut the corners and jump the curb, use your side mirrors (make sure you can see the whole length of the trailer on both sides) to judge where you are and hence where you are going, and try to give as much room for air to pass between you and other vehicles and objects which usually means driving on the right side of the right lane.
'67 29' Streamline Empress
'05 Toyota Sequoia 4x4
'65 Buick Electra 225 convt.
willapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
I agree with Mimi. You CAN do this. A lot of it is mental preparation. Read about towing, watch videos, do an online driving safety course, then try to get an instructor as you are doing. Sometimes I like to have an imaginary tow behind me and think how I'd drive, brake and maneuver on and off ramps, getting gas, parking at the store, and getting into my driveway.

I'm a boat captain, and each year I'd progress to bigger boats and was terrified about how they'd handle. But, with a bit of preparation and practice you realize what is worrying is the worry. Take a deep breath and just do it.

Remember to laugh at your kids when you master it.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
...too far from MT ...
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I am about an hour away from you in Arlington.
Arlington is heavy metro driving.
Heavy metro driving w/expensive Airstream can be un-nerving.
Best to learn out in the less populated areas.
You need to get you and your rig
out of the metro area. A large open area
is best to learn turning and backing.
Less populated & congested. Got any friends
out & away from the metro area that would let you park
your rig there awhile? That way you could practice
everything from hookup & pre-trip to unhook & post-trip.
Doing all this without having to go in/out of metro w/your rig.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Claysews, YES you CAN learn to do this. As Protagonist said, there ARE schools and instructors that teach driving RVs. Google is your friend. Here are the results of a simple Google search on RV Driving Schools:

If you have never attended an RV Boot Camp, do yourself a HUGE favor and do so. The Escapees RV Club runs an EXCELLENT RV Boot Camp (others also offer them too). Mistakes made with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. RV Boot Camp WILL make you a safer, more knowledgeable and more confident RVer. You can attend a Boot Camp without an RV. Many folks stay in a local motel / camping cabin for the 2 ~ 5 days a Boot Camp can run. I've done two different Boot Camps. Both times, RV driving instruction could be purchased. An instructor who will come to you, would probably be best (that option would probably cost more though). If you can't get away to attend a live Boot Camp, Mark Polk, from has a line of informative DVDs which cover just about every aspect of RV use. I was able to borrow many of the DVDs from my local public library. I purchased others I was interested in. The DVDs run about $20 per topic. Chuck Woodbury's is a free (donations are appreciated) eNewsletter. Check both of those websites. GOOD check lists are another safety item that, when followed, will help keep you safe. Of course, keep posting here. This forum has many members who are generous with their knowledge and, generally love helping newcomers. Welcome!

NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote