Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Want to get airstream, confused...

Hi people,
I am new to the forum, don't have an airstream yet. I have called several lenders and they none of them will finance the RV I want because of the age. Being a mechanic, I know that the vehicle is completely sound and will last many years. They dont care about stuff like that. They all say 10 years or newer to finance RV. This is my first major purchase other than my house, so I don't really know what steps to take. Oh, also, I am taking a big leap into airstream RV, if I were to compare the price, I could get another brand RV twice as new, with slides and other cool stuff. Why am I set on an old Airstream, someone convince me?
-Keith
urbanextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Borrow against your home equity, it will be easier and cost less.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanextreme
Hi people,
I am new to the forum, don't have an airstream yet. I have called several lenders and they none of them will finance the RV I want because of the age. Being a mechanic, I know that the vehicle is completely sound and will last many years. They dont care about stuff like that. They all say 10 years or newer to finance RV. This is my first major purchase other than my house, so I don't really know what steps to take.
-Keith
There are three alternatives, as I see it:
1- Get a personal loan for the amount of the trailer.
2- find an Airstream that is less than 10 years old, so you can get a regular loan.
If you own your home, you can do as RichardT suggests, and borrow against its equity.
There is a fourth, but I don't recommend it, go see Uncle Guido for a sho0rt-term, high interest loan.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
Borrow against your home equity, it will be easier and cost less.
I dont have equity, already tried.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is a reason the other brands cost half as much. That is because they will last less than half as long as an Airstream. How many 1963 other-brand travel trailers have you seen lately? I have a 1963, and many other forum members have those, or even older. Mine is in the same condition at 40+ years of age, as most ten year old other brand trailers.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
There are two alternatives, as I see it:
1- Get a personal loan for the amount of the trailer.
2- find an Airstream that is less than 10 years old, so you can get a regular loan.
There is a third, but I don't recommend it, go see Uncle Guido for a sho0rt-term, high interest loan.
1. I guess I'm not good enough to get personal loan that large.
2. I can't pry myself from the aluminum RVs.
3. I would definately get whacked.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

How much is this Airstream anyways?
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
So, how old IS the Airstream you are looking at? Maybe you could find a 1996 model for not much more than you are looking at spending for an older unit.

I like the older ones, they have a cool factor, as well as that comfortable, "old shoe" feeling. But, if you can only get a bank loan for a ten year old or newer Airstream, you may have to go that route to keep yourself in aluminum. Of course, you can look at the bright side, by the time you have it paid off, it will be a vintage unit, and you won't have to go look at another one...

Quote:
1. I guess I'm not good enough to get personal loan that large.
2. I can't pry myself from the aluminum RVs.
3. I would definately get whacked.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Value

Just take a look at the prices being asked for older Airstreams ... They hold their value and the marketplace does not lie. That one fact is what has me on the way to getting my first one. I plan to use it well and expect to have significant value when it is time to find the retirement home.

Ya get what ya pay for.
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT
How much is this Airstream anyways?
It's the diesel on Ebay for 27950, think it's crazy?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #11
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Thumbs down

It is all about finding the "right Person". Don't give up. Don't ever give up and don't accept the first answer you get. Investigate and the wicked will be discovered.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It's the diesel on Ebay for 27950, think it's crazy?
Umm, Keep trying, but if you don't wind up with it, don't be discouraged. You can either get an older trailer or motor home you can afford to pay cash for, to start with, or a newer one that you can get a bank loan on.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
It looks nice in the photos! At 24 years old it will require some work and money. The purchase price of an old trailer/motorhome is just the beginning. Parts, labor for things you can't do yourself, insurance, gas, storage... all for something you may only use a week or two and a few weekends a year. Also, at $27,900 it's very close to what I paid for a brand new Airstream 25' trailer in 2003. I don't mean to be negative, but it sounds like you might be streaching the budget here.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:47 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Now is the time to join a credit union! I know a local credit union that went for the entire note on a twenty five year old Airstream TT on the high end. My friends were very pleased!
But then, it was a TT, not a twenty four year old Motor Home.
Hmmm, in all seriousness, things like this are a selling point for cu's.
I belong to three separate ones, and keep most of my business at the smallest. Not quite as many frills, but they know my voice when I call, they know me when I walk in the door, they ask about my dogs, and pass out doggie treats if they happen to be along. I routinely transact business by phone with no problem, I don't have to spout an account number for them, or spell my name!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-23-2005, 05:43 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Yep, Denied again yesterday. This time I had 20% down!! They sent it to their bank for approval then called me back. I heared him do three "ummm's"..."an 81'"!!!??? I did get approved at another lender, but they have a stringent policy that both seller and buyer must be present at the same branch to close the deal, no power of attorny. This lender is only in Texas, so seller would have to be willing to fly down, at my expense, to sign. I keep looking.