View Poll Results: Which of the Ralph Lauren Airstreams is your favorite?
Adirondack Caravel 29 26.36%
Nautical Bambi 25 22.73%
Utility/Surplus Special Edition 42 38.18%
Western Bambi 14 12.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #43

Neiman Marcus trailer?

Does anyone remember several years ago, the Neiman Marcus Airstream that was done (as best as I can remember it) as a gypsy trailer? I kept that catalogue for years and probably still have it, but can't find it. It was what first got us thinking about buying an AS. Also got us thinking about buying one with everything working, but with maybe some interior problems and redoing it like that trailer, except a little more us.

Would love to get pics of that one again, if anyone knows where some are.

Geo.

Old 11-26-2003, 01:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Are you sure it's not the MacKenzie-Childs one linked above? It was for sale in the Needless Mark-Up catalog in '96...

Good luck in your search...if it's a different one, please post pictures or a link to share.

Shari

Old 11-26-2003, 01:14 PM   #45

NM trailer

Nope, not that one. the MacKenzie-Childs one is lighter-colored and has more of a country feel. The one I saw had more burgundy and paisleys in the fabrics, plus fringed curtains above the side beds. It was a much darker interior. I thought it was gorgeous.

Geo.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #46
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Say all you want about how awful it is that everything under the sun is being commercialized to death... because I completely agree!

But I don't want to allow that to cloud (what is for me) the real issue here... that Ralph Lauren's people have done an absolutely wonderful job re-imagining Airstreams, even if they were paid for with "big money." I find them all, but especially the nautical and surplus trailers (the least "themey") absolutely inspirational from conception to execution. They represent a whole new way of viewing these interior spaces, whereas before I couldn't mentally separate the inside from the outside, they were so entwined! They're so much a part of our culture that some people (not in this thread, but other places where conversations have taken place) are almost insulted by the very thought of replacing a cabinet with anything but an exact replica!

To me, the greatest part of Airstreams are their exteriors. They're the most bold and inspired part of the object as a whole. By the virtue of being required to do nothing more than serve as an enclosure, they have a timeless quality which we then connect with a certain style based on the decade in which we first saw them. But if you'd just landed from another planet, the 1949 model would fit in just as well (perhaps better?) as a 1999!

But I don't feel the interiors have acheived timelessness at all. I think Airstream interiors are aesthetically, and often functionally, the weakest part of the trailer - trapping us to follow their strict pattern forever. The purpose of all trailer's interiors has always been to remind people of their "normal" living environment - their house! It's that connection which then gives Airstreams an interior that reflects the best (and worst) of the design trends of that time. Your formica, your lime green fabric, or the depth of your shag carpet of course aren't *bad* for reflecting a certain decade... but should they imprison us from considering any other possibility?

The Polo Airstreams are an amazing departure from everything we expect when we look inside an A/S. These trailers are so freeing and exciting, and I credit them for giving me the final push I needed to buy my very first trailer. I don't want my little environment to look like everyone elses - make that ANYone elses! Why should I be locked into the sink being in one spot, my floor being only linoleum? This should be my blank canvas if I want, a chance to personalize my environment!

I hope I don't offend this tightly-knit community before I even take possession of my first trailer. And for the record: I cherish the idea of conserving really rare models as living, working timecapsules.

But I know I'm not single-handedly endangering the last remaining Globe Trotter in the world, so I'm going to have fun. Rethinking the use of space and treatment of materials in an already unique 60's trailer is about the most exciting thing I can imagine. I can't wait to begin!

Brad
Old 11-26-2003, 08:00 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Yep, I also was mesmerized by that Bambi in the Neiman Marcus catalog. WOOF. Art Deco-gypsy caravan weirdness. As I recall it was about 100K c1988. Been wanting one ever since, and finally bought ours this year.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Bredlo Welcome

Brad,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with your comments. I love my Airstream but am not enamored with the interior at all. My first goal is to get mine ready for use so I can try it out. After that my creative juices will probably take over and I covet no nostalgia on the interior.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:05 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I agree also. My canvas is already being painted. I'm making my trailer a reflection of my own taste. I do however respect everyone's desire to keep their trailers original.

My favorite is the Surplus. Great interior! I hope to get mine looking as good... for $140K less!

I probably have $100K in to mine with my labor already.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:09 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Re: Bredlo Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by Davydd
Brad,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with your comments. I love my Airstream but am not enamored with the interior at all. My first goal is to get mine ready for use so I can try it out. After that my creative juices will probably take over and I covet no nostalgia on the interior.
Thanks, Davydd, it's truly great to be here! I look forward to contributing far more cohesive and useful opinions in the near future. In two weeks time I'll be picking up my very first trailer, a '63 Globe Trotter, and I'm so excited about these forums, they're SO active!!! They ought to prove very useful in helping me overcome what will likely become a series of first-time restoration headaches (haven't seen my Airstream yet, but it sounds like a real mess.)

I'm already so fired up about the prospect of doing a full-scale restoration that I've already begun a brand new site to document my progress!

WWW.AIRSTREAMLOVE.COM - coming soon to a browser near you!

Take care all,
Brad
Old 11-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #51
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo

But I don't feel the interiors have acheived timelessness at all. I think Airstream interiors are aesthetically, and often functionally, the weakest part of the trailer - trapping us to follow their strict pattern forever. The purpose of all trailer's interiors has always been to remind people of their "normal" living environment - their house! It's that connection which then gives Airstreams an interior that reflects the best (and worst) of the design trends of that time. Your formica, your lime green fabric, or the depth of your shag carpet of course aren't *bad* for reflecting a certain decade... but should they imprison us from considering any other possibility?
Brad
Hi Brad! Welcome to the Forums!

I particularly enjoyed this post, and you have some interesting thoughts. One of the really cool things about these Forums is that the members range the gamut from detail-oriented concours restorers to unrestrained free-thinkers. I suspect that the vast majority of us are just regular folks who enjoy camping and/or travelling in comfort in a unique style, and have trailers to maintain. The best part is that everyone contributes something for everyone else, regardless of their reason for owning an Airstream!

Just a thought regarding the history of Airstreams for you to ponder... Wally Byam was the founder of Airstream and was at the helm of his company until his death in 1963. His intent for these trailers was to travel in relative comfort. They weren't (nor are they now) mass-produced. Byam WAS the quality control department and torture-tested the trailers on caravans all over the world. The materials he selected and the way they were assembled were done to make a trailer that would survive a 5000 mile caravan through Africa and still provide a modicum of creature comforts for the occupants.

Luxury, originality, custom upholstery and drapes were left to the individual buyer to install. Byam was an engineer, not an interior decorator. Merely owning an Airstream in those days was a statement in originality and differentiation of lifestyle.

The interiors were built with longevity and utility in mind, and in large part, remain so today. I have owned Airstreams since I bought my first 1970 Safari in 1987 and it has been wonderful to see what a diverse population has embraced Airstream ownership. What used to be merely a solid travel trailer has become an icon, much in the way that Harley-Davidson used to be viewed by the public as a clunky old dripping uncomfortable motorcycle that street gangs rode has now become a mainstream icon.

Years ago, owning a solid trailer that you could take anywhere was enough for the public who bought them. The audience is changing and becoming much larger. With that larger audience comes more diverse desires and reasons for owning these trailers.

All that said... have a ball with yours. Don't feel any remorse at changing your interior to reflect what you want. Byam changed engineering at the first sign of failure, or to reflect the parts available from his suppliers when they were available. The Airstream Travel Trailer Company would even build custom coaches to the owner's specs... and had a badge for them called, appropriately "Custom"! Re-engineering an interior to suit you is entirely appropriate in keeping with the original spirit of the product.

Keep us posted on your progress, and POST PHOTOS!!! (I can say that now that I have a few in my album... )

Roger
Old 11-27-2003, 09:36 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
AirstreamLove.com is Bookmarked

Brad,

I'm looking forward to watching your progress. The '63 Globetrotter is an ideal restoration project.

Knock the socks off Ralph Lauren!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:45 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
, Mississippi
I agree with Roger, An airstream has a great base to change the interior to almost anything you can imagine.
I started in the front by changing to a dinnet insted of the couch.
The wood grain or color does not match the rest of the interior,But i like it.
Who knows, as i work toward the rear it may match (or not) but it will be somthing i will like.
If all airstreams looked alike we wouldn"t have as much to talk about, or enjoy.

If you can't change your mind;
How do you know you have one?
Old 11-27-2003, 02:30 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

I've been thinking of some possible theme's for you to re-design your TT's as. All of these should surpass R.L's offerings.... Maybe I should approach AS on these; CCD may be getting boring.

1. Dracula's Castle
2. A Salute to SPAM
3. The Cozy Kennel
4. Liberace's Powder Room
5. Queen of the Cellblock
6. Bill Clinton's Mobile Makeout Pad
7. The Turtle Terrarium
Old 11-27-2003, 03:19 PM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
2. A Salute to SPAM[/B]
LOL!!!!!

Quote:
6. Bill Clinton's Mobile Makeout Pad[/B]
This would look like what exactly... the inside of a Cuban cigar humidor?
Love it! Let's continue this list, what a scream!
Old 03-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #56
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thumbs up Ralph Lauren Polo Airstreams Now On Sale!

Noticed that the Polo Airstreams are on sale. Only $100,000 now.

Click here to see the Polo Airstreams that are on sale.

X