Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
RMPeters

1969 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Vintage vs. Modern?

Hello All,

was just wondering, price being no object and time unlimited would a person want to purchase a vintage AS or a modern one? Does anyone out there own 2 or more AS where one is vintage and the other modern? I find it incredible how very little has changed over the last 40 years and just wondering what some of you very friendly people thought as we are now considering the purchase of an 06 Safari 25FB to add to our collection. Scary thought, some collect cars, sports cards, etc., I want to collect trailers...

Rob
robertpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Earlier this year, I was planning to finance a full vintage restoration project...frame up.

Then I started looking at the modern (but not brand new) models.

I ended up buying my "like new" '03 Classic for about the same price as a major vintage restoration. And pretty much everything works -- there are no issues.

To each his own, but I've no regrets about taking this route. In fact, I feel lucky we found our trailer as it's perfect for our needs. And while we'd still be waiting for that restoration to be finished, we've already spent more than a month in our Airstream. :-)
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I want a polished 1958 24 footer with a 2008 interior.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

For me that is a difficult question to answer.

Partly because there are so many different models every year and many different vintages. I think Airstreams have changed a lot over the years.
The older Airstreams can have pain in the neck problems because of wear and tear, and newer Airstreams can have pain in the neck problems due to quality control.
I agree with you fully that you need many Airstreams. Just as you need many different tools in your tool box, you need many different trailers for
different uses. Small trailers for quick getaways, or to fight gas prices on long distance trips. Big trailers for family trips or entertaining. Even bigger trailers for long term outings.
Perhaps in this fantasy scenario world where time and money are of no concern, Airstream will come up with Robots to drive our rigs while we nap
(especially on the ride home !!!).
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have had both - I used to have a 1998 Safari which at the time was about 5 years old, I now own a 1972 Globetrotter.
Each have advantages. I like the towability of the GT due to size and weight. Prices are generally cheaper with the older ones. (Not always)
With new(er) you generally have less problems, floor rot, water heaters going out, etc.
But, if money were no issue?? I don't know - I don't live in that world.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If money were no issue I would have a whole fleet, new and old, big and small, retro and modernized, all stored in a climate controlled hangar. Then I would feel guilty that I was hogging them and have to sell them for other folks to enjoy

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I have had several of both, vintage and modern, and in varying degrees of vintage-ness and modern-ness.

I'd say it depends on where your interests lie. If you're interested in travelling in comfort, a late-model coach is the way to go. If you're more interested in the restoration and novelty of owning a vintage coach, and travelling is secondary or something you only do occasionally, then vintage is right up your alley.

Both can require maintenance depending on how well they've been maintained; obviously vintage could require a frame-off resto depending on what you're willing to undertake.

If you're interested mainly in travelling in comfort, but like the idea of occasionally playing in a vintage coach, then it's not unreasonable to have one of each. Many folks do!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Vintage and Modern!

Yes, we are one of those people who own a modern trailer (2002 Bambi) and two vintage trailers ('64 Bambi II and '54 FC). We were brand new to trailering back when we purchased the 2002 pre-owned, from eBay. It is a nice trailer and is always ready for camping at a moments notice. We have always been attracted to the vintage rigs too and finally found the vintage rig of our dreams -- a '64 Bambi II. Over the last two years, we have been restoring it back to its former glory and we have enjoyed every minute of it. As soon as the Bambi II is restored, we will start on the Flying Cloud.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
1968 30' Sovereign
Salt Lake City , Utah
I am a proud Vintage owner and love both of mine . . . however, if price was no object the 75th anniversary edition is by far my favorite Airstream. It came out last year. They had one on the lot in Mesa, AZ for a long time. Bet it's gone now (that's at Dillon's RV).
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jimbreitinger/
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If nobody buys new trailers, there won't be any used (vintage) trailers...
If the trailers didn't weigh so much more now, I wouldn't mind owning new, but I like our vintage unit. A comparable new trailer is almost 10,000 pounds, versus around 7500 for our (same size and equipment) vintage unit.
Interestingly, I recently sold what I considered to be our vintage unit, and got a modern unit, only to realize the modern unit was vintage as well...
Old 06-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I hope I can answer your question though I am a bit frustrated with my trailer at the moment - it is taking too much time and aggrevation.

I am pretty new to the trailer game myself. I have been an owner for two and a half months and have spent well over a hundred hours working on this trailer and one heck of a lot of money. (money is realative to each person depending on how much you have and I like most people need to make my money work hard) Maybe I have a bit of a obsessive compulsive disorder but I cnstantly have to improve on what I have so I end up spending a lot of time and money gettting things right. My wife wonders if we will ever go camping but I know in the end this trailer or my older tow vehicles will be very reliable.

To answer your original question you must first figure out your goal. My personal goal was to find a airstream that was a 1972 or newer based on having a grey water tank and it must be the size that my current tow vehicle could handle.

I found my trailer on ebay and purchased it knowing it had a few things wrong. I felt good about it because I read various posts on this forum for hours so I knew what I was getting myself into. Honestly I looked for a trailer for about two or three years until I found one that I liked.

As others have stated each generation of trailers have their pros and cons. Do your self a favor and read the forum extensively and see if you want all the work and $$ associated with a vintage unit or some of the work and $$ associated with a newer unit. You will have to work on and maintain both.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I want both.
I now own a modern one and I appreciate the modern convieniences. I also want a vintage (from the year I was born) smaller trailer to do short trips in.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Every time I get close to my varmit, err, vintage trailer I wish I could be doing nearly the same things on a four or six year old trailer since it's neglect I am fighting, selectively improving subsystems now that I know what to look for....
Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I thought I posted this before but can't seem to see what I posted, so I'll repost.

New units are great, comfy, etc, they also depreciate fast the first 4-5 years. Addtionally, having owned 2 new units, a 2003 and 2004, my incling would be if going new, look for a good preowned unit because of shell issues that have been noticed on new units. Some have it, some don't. Some more, some less than others.

Vintage, since money is no object, you pretty much see what you are getting into for the most part. You can spend lots on a great referb vintage, or you do it yourself.

I use to think the vintage folks were crazy brave, but lately, I've come to realize they had a much better idea than I would have ever thought.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I think the anwser lies in you

Whether a vintage or newer unit is optimal probally has more to do with you and what you want out of the experience. To me one of the big functional differences in the two is width. The new wider trailers can be nice at the campground, but are less nice on the road, espically in construction zones and city driving. The narrow bodies are nicer to tow and, if you are like me and want to get off into the boonies, fit more places. In another year, I will have upgraded about every major system and appliance in the Trade Wind so in that regard it will be like a new unit. An additional bonus for me is the elegant look of the vintage bodies. Now that mine is reasonably polished and has the cool new vintage awing it is even cooler looking. But that is just me and what I like.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I want a polished 1958 24 footer with a 2008 interior.
I would want a brand new unit, polished of course, new amenities with old interior construction materials, techniques and style.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
It should be YOUR choice. New very expensive to start. If you are starting Airstream....will it be worth the investment?

Vintage...they have charm and if you can do the restoration yourself the initial investment is affordable. As you restore the investment comes in
smaller pieces. Do what you must and then continue to restore.

We are NEW to Airstream and with our Vintage (seems in ok condition). We have done restoration ourselves.

Do you like Antiques? Do you prefer modern furniture? Many questions only you can answer. More people on this Forum (an intelligent group) will contribute info to help you make YOUR decision. ENJOY. Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Unfortunately, for me, it was all about price. We were just looking for a camper, but imagine our surprise when we found our 63 Overlander. It was way in our price range...so much so that we have been able to afford the nessesary improvements w/o breaking the bank. We have really enjoyed fixing it up in the evenings and in spare times. We took it on our first trip this past weekend and enjoyed the fruits of our labors. There are still a lot of things to do, but we can accomplish these things one at a time as time and money allow.

But...if I had the money I think I would still buy a vintage. I enjoy the sense of accomplishment that working with my own hands gives. It really brings the family together too when you're fixing it up and when you get to use it.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I only own a vintage, and have been working on it for the last 26 months when I’m not required to do other things.

That said - if you want to restore an oldie, expect to spend up to half your time looking for parts and supplies (because things HAVE changed, and many of the old parts simply are not to be found). You must have: patients; skill; some practical engineering talents (because there is much of that required); tools; a place to work; and a desire and willingness to have such a project. If you have all that, then go for it!

If you do a good job, you will get back satisfaction and admiration from those you come in contact with that share a love for Airstreams. These returns are absent, in large part, when you buy new(er).
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Valley Springs , California
We're trying to cover some of both worlds. Keep it all 1948 on the outside and modern touches on the inside. Several years ago we built a large teardrop trailer from scratch using plans published in 1940. We had a lot of fun in the contruction phase. It's a lot of fun to take out as we get stares on the road and always give tours when camping. Then the vintage bug caught us. We found the '48 in run down shape and after diggin into it, have really found out how bad it is. Part of the fun is the process of redoing it. The neighbors get involved as well as family members. We have people all over the country dropping into our Yahoo photo page to watch the progress.

It will be interesting getting it out of the garage and on the road. We're looking forward to getting our coffee in the morning without having to go outside to the galley.
48_liner is offline   Reply With Quote