Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
but are less nice on the road, espically in construction zones and city driving.
Yea, I'll be the first, second and third to admit, I've had a few white knuckle exp in construction zones.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Love the new ones, but also vintage. My wife and I love the vintage cars, trailers, homes. Our vacation cars are hot rods/vintage and a trailer needs to match, on the outside at least. Our cars are all updated with modern conveniences so they look vintage, but are modern for the most part (safety, comfort, ease of repairs the key decision factors).

Same with the trailer. Vintage externally, all the amenities internally. Hidden where we can so to the casual eye it looks '51, just like the car looks '57.

I would buy new as well to go behind the new truck but it would not get used as much as the old one. I happen to be down to just one at the moment but as soon as I'm able to do the majority of the driving again, and able to work on the restification of more, my qty will increase. I would like a '57, a '47 and that '85 I missed on eBay (it still haunts me that I was too slow to reply or it would be hanging out beside the '51 as I type).

One can never ever have too many. If someone tells you differently back away from them very slowly and discreetly and when far enough away to not be noticed, turn and run like crazy. They are obviously very very ill.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
If money were no object nor time, I would choose vintage and have the best team of people on it asap. I like the heavier aluminum that can be polished to a mirror finish and also the metal castings and the multisegment endcaps. I would want the one with the most amount of windows I could find though. Some look rather small and closed up, then it would be custom all the rest of the way after a complete and total redo keeping only the shell.

But I don't and I am in a hurry, the clock is ticking... gotta make hay while the sun shines.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Vintage - no question

First, they all leak - old or new. I am restoring a 1958 30' Sovereign of the Road... we've been at it for two years. Over the last two years, I've owned about 10 different vintage models - all needing some work, but able to go streaming in them. I started Airstreaming in a 1985 34' Limited that was nice, but heavy and had an OSB floor that with leaks, is not good! The Vintage trailers have more character in my mind - 15 then 13 then 7 panels... and have stronger Aircraft (not license plate like today) grade aluminum shells. Ours is now STRONG and will last us the rest of our life...with all new white birch / maple interior being finished now with original layout. We will leave it to our kids when it's about 100 years old - will a new one make it to 100 years old? Our is 50 years old this fall! It's way lighter than the same trailer this length - like a ton or more lighter! Plus, when you tell people when they ask, "is that new?" that it is 50 years old, I like the reaction. Of course, doing a full restoration takes patience - but having the other 13-15 Airstreams while doing it has been fun and allowed my patience. To each their own I say! Then again, I'm skewed too - The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home! Later,

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
No new motor homes, so vintage for us!!!

Actually we are both solidly hooked on the vintage models. There's just something about the allure of yesteryear and the times people have lived through and are nostalgic about now. Although there is a lot to be said about new systems that don't need troubleshooting and replacing!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have owned a 74 vintage and did much work on it and enjoyed the work and the finished product. I sold it and bought a 94 because the 74 had twin beds and I had no confidence in the appliances or the weather tight integregity of the skin. Sold the 94 and purchased a 01 wide body with slide because I wanted the room a wide body and side offered. I enjoy using the unit more than working on it.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I supppose a lot of your decission will depend on what your idea of fun is.
If Fun means getting out and traveling with all the modern conveinences at your disposal, with little concern of falling through the soft spot in the bathroom floor, or stuff falling off the trailer at highway speeds, then Modern has its advantages.

On the other hand, Going Vintage adds a couple more elements to your RV'ng experience.
Turns out that one of my ideas of fun is finding old stuff and figuring out how to make it work, getting to know the older systems and and appreciating how cool some of them are. Like the 3 foot flint stricker on a Dometic RM26.

Another Element is the thrill of the hunt. That special feeling of truimph when you finaly find a NOS Harper/Wyman pilot unit for the old Magic Chef stove. Or that special giggle you get when finding a working 12V fan for a Hehr roof vent (still looking for one if anyone has an extra)

There is a pride in having something youve built, or rebuilt being used by you and your family. This pride gets inflated by the occasional passerby who wants to check out the old rig. All of this inflation however, means the ego gets popped when something breaks or fails to work, since you take it a lot more personal.

Then, there is of course, therese a certain esprit de corpse among vintage trailer owners that is partly based on a common appreciation for these extra elements. Which is one of the reasons why folks tollerate me prattling on about my '63 Avion, which is an SOB on an Airstream site.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
We could not decide on vintage over new either. Went from a 71 TradeWind to a 63 Overlander, did a total restoration, spent as much money on it as a slightly used late model, but now have vintage camping vibe, light weight, major coolness, polished shell, but with 2006 conveniences.
My point being, you actually can have your cake and eat it, too. It's just not cheap.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #29
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
.... It's just not cheap.
Or easy...
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Or easy...
Speaking of which, did you ever get your wastewater issues taken care of in your Ambassador?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #31
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
........but now have vintage camping vibe, light weight, major coolness, polished shell, but with 2006 conveniences.
My point being, you actually can have your cake and eat it, too. It's just not cheap.
I agree 100%. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what features a new rig has that my nearly 40 year old one does not. Further, once you get the refurbishment done (no small task to be sure), I want some to explain to me how they are less trustworthy in day to day use.

In terms of the orginal question I dont think the condition of the trailer is germaine (assumption of money not being an object). If you start from the premise of comparing well maintained units, I say what you are really comparing at the end of the day is asthetics.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
I agree 100%. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what features a new rig has that my nearly 40 year old one does not.
A new rig will have a warranty, which in Airstream's case seems to be a big benefit.
New Airstream trailers have reliable automatic switchover refrigerators, new water heaters with little red switches inside to turn them on and off, electric tongue jacks, BAL levelers, ZipDee awnings, efficient air conditioners and furnaces, microwave, fantastic fans, working windows and door locks, 3 tanks, new plumbing, new running gear, more space since they're wider, more weight, comprehensive electrical system, usually no bad odors or floor rot.
I am not saying any of this is better than the vintage, just trying to answer your question.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 AM   #33
RMPeters

1969 31' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Wow,

very impressed with the level of responses. I find everyones responses quite interesting. I love our vintage unit and the fact that it is older than my wife and I is a real point of hilarity with our kids. As a lover of wood though, I go with vintage and the conveniences that I am used to can be just as easily found on the vintage. But, after many months of restoration, and down to a few more things before polishing, I almost had 2nd doubts.
robertpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Vintage - less cash outlay up front, but as much or more over time
Modern - more cash outlay up front, over time . . . the jury's out

Vintage - the cool factor, a blast from the past
Modern - the cool factor, the future is now

Vintage - modern conveniences while camping anywhere
Modern - modern conveniences with current technology while camping anywhere

Vintage - it's always something
Modern - it's always something, warranty or not

It all depends on individual needs, resources, perferences, and priorities. I won't deny the lure of a graywater tank and few updates has turned my eye more than once. Even so, I wouldn't trade my vintage Airstream for anything, not even a brand new 75th Anniversary Edition. What other RV could continue to satisfy such a diverse population of discriminating taste? We have it all.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #35
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
A new rig will have a warranty, which in Airstream's case seems to be a big benefit.
New Airstream trailers have reliable automatic switchover refrigerators, new water heaters with little red switches inside to turn them on and off, electric tongue jacks, BAL levelers, ZipDee awnings, efficient air conditioners and furnaces, microwave, fantastic fans, working windows and door locks, 3 tanks, new plumbing, new running gear, more space since they're wider, more weight, comprehensive electrical system, usually no bad odors or floor rot.
I am not saying any of this is better than the vintage, just trying to answer your question.
My point is, that with restoration, a vintage unit will have many if not most of these items.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what features a new rig has that my nearly 40 year old one does not.
I have both a new and a vintage rig so can answer the question -- a gray tank. A gray tank is the only thing I miss when I take my '64 Bambi II on a camping trip. We like to boondoock and stay green (i.e., not drip gray water into the environment) so we don't take the Bambi II boondocking much.

When we restore our '54 Flying Cloud, we are planning on taking this into consideration and will be retrofitting a gray tank into that trailer.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I have both a new and a vintage rig so can answer the question -- a gray tank.
Again, I argue that a restored vintage unit is likely to have this.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Again, I argue that a restored vintage unit is likely to have this.
Not necessarily. Retrofitting a gray tank is a major task that many resto's don't undertake. I think we may have to "agree to disagree" unless someone can show evidence beyond just our opinions.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:32 AM   #39
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpeters
Hello All,

was just wondering, price being no object and time unlimited would a person want to purchase a vintage AS or a modern one? Does anyone out there own 2 or more AS where one is vintage and the other modern? I find it incredible how very little has changed over the last 40 years and just wondering what some of you very friendly people thought as we are now considering the purchase of an 06 Safari 25FB to add to our collection. Scary thought, some collect cars, sports cards, etc., I want to collect trailers...

Rob
Hi rob;
I think you ask a question but you know the reply...
New or vintage... it's in fact , a question of mentality... Only you know your mentality if you want to own the last model or a vintage one...
If the question of price is not considered ( so it's not a small details...) you know if you prefer to live in a new, modern, update or last fashion style or if you prefer all vintage things, 60's , collectible or old fashion style...
About me, that is this last kind of life I prefer... I live with old pin ball, old GE fridge, old juke box, ... and i love this vintage atmosphere.
No doubt fo me , a vintage is my choice and the buying price allows me to continue buying old toys...

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

senoia , Georgia
Since we've been in the KOA for a month now I've had a chance to see ALL kinds of Airstreams. Brand new ones, Argosys, vintage AS, and a few AS motorhomes. I could post a sighting at least every other day! I have to say that I would still pick my vintage AS over any of the new ones I've seen. I love my airstream just like it is! If I had the money to but a new one, I'd still buy the vintage because I love the classic lines.
katkat is offline   Reply With Quote