Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Vintage Airstream Question

The more I begin to learn about Airstream's, the more I am starting to think that I would prefer to purchase an older unit and completely restore it. By doing this, I can design the best floorplan and interior to suit my needs.

Self admittedly, I am not the most mechanically inclined person and unfortunately do not have the time to tackle a project of this proportion.

Is anyone familiar with a shop that specifically focuses on Vintage Airstream restorations and is a 100% quality operation?

It is very important for me to find the right person to deal with and your input would be most appreciated.

joshua32064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 04:45 AM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
There is a member her that had the Iowa boys do a trailer for her. They are at They will do a mild or wild redo, all it takes is the cash.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Do you happen to know which member it was? Was she satisfied with the final outcome?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
There is another thread on this board which warns against doing business with Birchwood Beauties, and in favor of working with Iowaboys and Vintage Vacations. The impression I get from the V V website is that you get what you want but it's gonna cost dearly! Check out the Globetrotter they recently completed -- amazing.

-- RL
rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I'm the person that had Iowa Boys refurbish my trailer. I've posted before, during and after pics in the photo gallery. Just click on my "photos" button below.

I don't have the time, skill, or place to be able to do the work myself. I now have a brand new 38 year old trailer. (polish pics soon!)

I'm still happy with the work. By the way, don't let the name "Iowa Boys" throw you off. When I was looking for a trailer I kept passing them over because I thought they were too far away.
They are actually just outside of LA in North Hollywood.
Pet Sitters take the "Board'em" out of Travel !
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 06:47 AM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Josh - stop in and see Joe Pershing at Oasis RV right there in Tucson. I've heard of a few folks that had work done there. They don't specialize in just vintage units but they do good work and as they say in real estate: location, location, location.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:22 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Thanks for everyone's input. I am currently in China right now for work so I have been doing most of my investigating online.

I will stop by Oasis RV when I return to the states. I had sent Joe an e-mail a few weeks ago and he never responded to it. Who knows?

For the type of project that I am looking to do, I am looking to completely gut the trailer and design a new floor plan. I think this project will be best suited for someone who specifically specializes is refurbishing trailers.

I am trying to give the interior a very classic Gentleman's Lounge, Cigar Bar & Martini Bar type of look and feel. I guess this could be classified as Art Deco.

Of course I want to use lots of dark woods and the one thing that I think I have going for me is that I am in the wood veneer furniture business. I could literally wood veneer any panels and then have the deep dark rich wood look in the trailer.

I am really getting so excited about this and when I first started thinking that I was going to buy an Airstream, I never thought in a million years, I would be looking to completely refurnish one. This is all started out with me trying to purchase a 25' International CCD. You could say that I have really done a 180.

If anyone is interested, I will let you know what I find and the progress I make.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I second the vote for Oasis - I use two shops for repairs I can't do myself (or am too lazy to do) - Oasis in Tucson and Amerian Way in Boise. Either one could do the job.

I know that Oasis does a lot of vintage work - has lots of vintage parts. Joe owns the place, but the one you may want to contact is Jay - he is the service guy who will get you fixed up.

The other thing about Oasis is they are known by the vintage folks so fairly often they have vintage units for sale.

Ken J.

Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote