Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2016, 06:19 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
In my prev. post I mentioned my ranger friend nam vet wounded 3 times 100% disabled. Same thing took Sen Dick Durbin to intervene, looks same old story with vets no better.
I've been in the VA system since 1981. I developed a grand mal seizure disorder while in the Air Force. The internist wrote it up as extreme stress. A psychiatrist put me out of the Air Force for BPD, (Borderline), which I tried very hard to fight, On the last day I asked for my medical records be sent to the VA in San Diego. My dad had a seizure disorder from trauma and he was connected, so I knew what to do. I was connected in less than 6 months. But I was a frequent flyer at the psych ward still. I'd have a relapse every six to ten years and go in for a few weeks. In between I was super mom; stuff everything deep enough and nobody knows, right? It was my psychiatrist who realized in 1993 that I was not borderline, but PTSD. He told me to make the claim. I tried, but I was denied, and I was still too emotionally weak to make that fight. When I had the next relapse, he told me again, File! So I began again. It took a total of three years. Denied, appealed, received only 10%, (I thought my doc would blow that blood vessel in his forehead, he told me appeal for more), So I asked for more and and both my doctors wrote letters again. Like I said, it took three years. I did get 100%.

You know of course I am not the only one with a story like this. There are so many Veterans with stories much worse than mine. It was in 2008 that we no longer were forced to provide proof that we literally could not provide. I could not find the women in Army Basic who knew some of my story, and especially the one that he also approached, in fact, out of the whole platoon I found only one email address, and that woman never answered my emails in three years. The "proof" thing was really stupid, a man could be missing limbs and the VA would require him to Prove his disability happened during his service, yes even with the fact that they had his medical records. I actually did report my rapist, but anonymously. I knew I would be relieved of duty if I had reported him any other way. Thank God this proof thing was knocked down. Another thing that happened, a Veteran took the VA to court in Los Angeles, CA. He was able to force a VA official to reveal that when a Veteran died during the course of his claim, that it was considered a successfully closed case, AND that yes, they often dragged cases out that this might happen and they would never have to pay.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Another story my wifes best friend uncle lost a leg so va has him reavaluated every year to see if he still qualifies for for 100% disability pay. Our va at work
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Meh. I survived a 8 1/2 year. Navy Vietnam era.

More or less sane, would rather not sit and talk about the past. Too busy getting on with life to dwell on the past nightmares.

Besides, as Groucho Marx put it, I'd rather not join an organization that would have me....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Meh. I survived a 8 1/2 year. Navy Vietnam era.

More or less sane, would rather not sit and talk about the past. Too busy getting on with life to dwell on the past nightmares.

Besides, as Groucho Marx put it, I'd rather not join an organization that would have me....

This actually works for some veterans, it's called compartmentalization, and I am really glad that you have worked it out for yourself. I have a good friend, special forces, and he has fairly successfully lived this way for his whole life. He didn't access counseling until the last several years, he's 66yrs old. Any of us that survive sane is a Win.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Those of us that are dealing with a profound PTSD were very often, (but not always), a long term case of child abuse and/or neglect, and/or molest BEFORE we got to the military where the trauma occurred. We were weakened, we were often unaware. Some of of my childhood is so buried I still don't remember anything but flashes. It requires therapy, but we CAN survive, we can even THRIVE. I help Veterans find their footing and into counseling all the time. We didn't choose to be this, but we can choose to climb out of this hell with help. It takes real strength for anyone to admit the problem has become bigger than they can with by themselves, especially for men and women who have served. If anyone here would ever like to talk, I can recommend an excellent website where you can talk to other Veterans without fear of it getting back to friends and family, just ask me. This site is run by veterans for veterans.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I've found that my dogs are the best counsel. They love without question, and don't mind if you cry.

"Happiness is a warm puppy" is very true.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Another story my wifes best friend uncle lost a leg so va has him reavaluated every year to see if he still qualifies for for 100% disability pay. Our va at work
Apparently this has always been the rule, but now the VA is enforcing it. This is definitely dirty pool and should be fought.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have served as Post Commander and Service Officer for both VFW and Am Legion, and a member of 40/8 in past years, Life Member of VFW. Like all organizations there is good and not-so-good. Join and see if it's for you, and if you can contribute to the good.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Another VA rule is income to qualify for benefits. If have spouse they include there income, or other income takes you over limit results no benefits. It is graduated scale of qualifications. This is bad as some vets need help but no go. VA needs complete over haul but politicians only care about them selves not about people that sacrificed for our country.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Corona , California
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you..."

First sign of serious trouble coming...just glad I haven't wanted or needed their "help".

Old 08-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Another VA rule is income to qualify for benefits. If have spouse they include there income, or other income takes you over limit results no benefits. It is graduated scale of qualifications. This is bad as some vets need help but no go. VA needs complete over haul but politicians only care about them selves not about people that sacrificed for our country.
Income qualification applies only to some benefits for some veterans. The laws are complex and always changing. If a veteran wants a benefit, most counties, states, VA facilities, veteran service organizations have service officers who can help, or they can apply directly to the VA. It's almost always best to work with a knowledgable service officer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Yes, you allude to travel pay, correct? BUT, many things have changed over the 35 years that I have been in the system. Travel pay was only for vets whose income fell within certain limits. Medication was free when I began, then only medication that was related to your service connected disability was free, then all meds became $7 a pop unless you are 100%. If you have any health insurance you must present the information so they can be billed, it wasn't like that when I began, I can't remember when they began asking, what, the 90's? When I DID have health insurance for four years, I NEVER once used the VA. Who would? That would be insane. Well maybe I would for psych. When I came to the VA, there was Dental if you were 30%, if your disability had anything to do with your mouth, or if like me, your meds were bad for your teeth. Now you must be 100% instead of 30. I was promised a college education when I was 10%, but because of being a busy mom, I didn't have time, when I was ready, they said it was now for those at 30%. Theoretically I could do it now, but the medications mess with my brain, memory and words, and I have a problem with being in crowds. I and Chris joined in '78 and '79, we were promised a lot. Most of those promises are now null and void. Chris was promised free health care for life if he gave them 20 years, that was a lie. There were other lies, he has other complaints, but I'm not going to ask him, he gets riled up.

You're right about the politicians, we are nothing more than fodder for THEIR wars and once they are done with us, we don't mean jack... to them at all. They ALL, yes the republicans too, have been cutting funding and chopping away at our Veteran's programs, for the last dozen years at least. I stopped recommending military service to young people years ago. How can one recommend being used and abused to people they care about? It's we who must take care of each other, it's we who must fight for ourselves and each other. So I suppose if I could find an organization that fit, and whose political agenda I could support, I might join it. After all, I joined AARP to protect the money I put into Social Security. No one will take care of us, but us.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nebo , North Carolina
Exception.

In applying to get help from the VA you may be exempt from the means test in qualifying. There is a title 6 exemption which means if you served In combat you will not be turned down. As the VA told me you go to the front of the line right in. If your DD214 shows a Combat Action Ribon you will not be turned down.
Also, I have had many friends turned down who qualified. I told them to reapply and tell them about title 6 and ask them to look it up and if they will not go somewhere else. One VA rep in North Carolina admitted he had turned away many qualified applicants because he did not know about the title 6 exemption.
The means test is where they judge you on how much you are worth and do you have the means to take care of yourself without the VA help.
I am not an expert but this is the way I understand it.

LKJ dude
E5 THE USMC 65-71
Life member Marine corps League, DAV, VVA.
And we do not sit around and dig up the past,
We work on helping people now and in the future.